Trouble Timing cj5

Trouble Timing cj5

Nixon

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 CJ5 258
I am having a heck of a time with my Cj. It ran O.K. when I brought it home, but needed a tune up. I replaced wires rotor cap plugs etc. Set the carb mixture screws 1 1/2 turns out. When I went to time it, the marks were not even close. I got the marks to line up , but I had to turn the distributor alot. Needless to say it ran aweful, backfiring etc. I set it back close to where it was, it still backfires a little and is not running real strong. Seems hot too. Why would my timin marks be so off? Could the dist be off a tooth? Would that even make a dif? Thanks for any help.

What does your timing mark line up with on the degree scale?
Is your distributor cap cracked, not seated properly, same with your rotor.
Is there any chance that the spark plug wires are out of order?

What did you gap the plugs to?
Check vacuume lines

Hello Nixon and welcome to our site! :chug:

I'm assuming you did not pull the dist - correct? If you did not, about the only way for the marks to be off so far is -

• The cap is on wrong
  • The wires are on wrong
  • The rotor is on wrong
  • You have the timing light connected to the wrong wire
  • The advance mechanism under the rotor is locked or jammed

Retrace your wires and make sure you have them in the correct order, if so, I would just reset the time, in my experience with timing ( which is my weak point) a tooth off can make a hell of a difference!

what engine do you have? If it is an odd fire V6 you can really get things off with improper wire placement

Thanks guys for your help. I should have mentioned it is a 258 6cyl. I'm not sure the dist is in right. The guys I bought it from started tinkering and while he did put some nice parts into it, I'm sure he knew all what he was doing. I've spent alot of time straightening things out. The Vac advance looks new, so I'm guessing he did pull it out. I'm sure the firing order is right and the cap and rotor look fine. the timing mark is currently way to the left or counterclockwise of the scale. You can barely see it where it is at.

Thanks guys for your help. I should have mentioned it is a 258 6cyl. I'm not sure the dist is in right. The guys I bought it from started tinkering and while he did put some nice parts into it, I'm sure he knew all what he was doing. I've spent alot of time straightening things out. The Vac advance looks new, so I'm guessing he did pull it out. I'm sure the firing order is right and the cap and rotor look fine. the timing mark is currently way to the left or counterclockwise of the scale. You can barely see it where it is at.
If he pulled the dist and put it back in wrong - that is your problem. If you turn the engine over to Top Dead Center (the timing mark on the balancer at zero), is the rotor facing #1? If it is facing towards #6 then you need to turn the engine over 360 degrees.

Now that the rotor is some what facing #1, is it facing directly at the location for #1 on the cap? If not, you need to pull the dist and rotate the gear one tooth at a time until it is.

I am having a heck of a time with my Cj. It ran O.K. when I brought it home, but needed a tune up. I replaced wires rotor cap plugs etc. When I went to time it, the marks were not even close. .

Nixon you say it ran ok when you brought it home.
If you didn't remove the dist... Are you sure your wires are on right.:rolleyes:

Your timing chain might have jumped a tooth or two also.

Well, I'm about 99% sure My timing chain jumped. I guess I'll be tearing into it this weekend. On a better note, I'm sure it will ru much better. Thanks for all you guys help. Any tips? I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, I'm about 99% sure My timing chain jumped. I guess I'll be tearing into it this weekend. On a better note, I'm sure it will ru much better. Thanks for all you guys help. Any tips? I'll let you know how it goes.
No big advice except - just get a good steel assembly... :)

Well, I got the timing chain and gears replaced. The marks were pretty lined up. It didn't skip a tooth. The gears were a little worn and the chain was streched. I got it all back together. Not much difference. I can't even get the timing mark anywhere near the scale. It's way advanced!! I'm starting to think the dist is in wrong. Not sure how to go about his yet. I was thinking about turning engine over till the marks line up and pulling the #1 plug to make sure i's on comp. stroke. then see where rotor is and possible pulling dist out and realligning. Am I on the right track? Not sure what else would make the marks be so off. It won't run if I line the mark up.

I had a nother thought. Has anyone ever heard of the harmonic balancer metal ring moving on the rubber one?

that is very common on CJ's that is why you will have to set the timing by the site I posted for you :chug: .
just make sure the #1 piston is on the proper up stroke for fire and not exhaust and rotor is facing the number one plug wire on distributor.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks