tub sides

tub sides

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
Anyone else ever put tub sides on? I'm gonna put the tub back on the frame to hold it straight

Anyone else ever put tub sides on? I'm gonna put the tub back on the frame to hold it straight

Tub sides...elaborate? :chug:

Easiest way would be to have a friend help you.

I was able to use some vice grips in diff areas to hold larger pieces in place and then I just made a small tack weld on one end. With the weld and metal so thin, you can still manipulate the new piece. Then you can get the other end welded in the correct place and grind off the original or just keep going if it was right. I usually had to grind off the initial spot weld though because when I moved the other end it pulled the first side out of place a little.

to avoid metal distortion that is going be a job of tack here and move and tack here and move and on and on
good thing is you will have plenty of time to align twice tack once
running a bead longer than a tack on sheet metal will cause a lot of warpage

Keep posting your progress...I have to buy a new tub or "Frankenstein" my original like you are doing...any experience you can share would help alot of us...thanks, ed

After two test fits and more trimming the tub site fit perfect. Lots and lots of clamps. Little tacks all over too.

sounds great
just do not get impatient
little spots till it is all filled in
if you try to run a bead you heat up the metal too much

Yep little beads all over. It really was pretty easy. The tub site doesn't weigh anything and stays in place till you get at least one clamp on. Fortunately I have enough clamps to have it pulled down all the way. I had to make all new angles to attach the side too since all of mine were rusted. I'm real happy with it though.

Yep little beads all over. It really was pretty easy. The tub site doesn't weigh anything and stays in place till you get at least one clamp on. Fortunately I have enough clamps to have it pulled down all the way. I had to make all new angles to attach the side too since all of mine were rusted. I'm real happy with it though.
yea you can nee have too many clamps
I go to the swap meet about once a month a always buy clamps, I mean for 5 bucks how do you go wrong?
and I must have 50 clamps of all styles. I think my wife is afraid I may try to bring them into the bedroom some time.:drool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom