Tuxedo Park

Tuxedo Park

BajaEdition

Resident 'Old' Jeep Shaman
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up
70 cj6 4 inch lift
Tuxedo Park Park
tux1.jpg

Early Tuxedos

The Tuxedo Park Park did not start as a full blown special. Like a lot of the editions we will see Jeep offered it started as a dealer add on package.

The first of the Tuxedo Park Parks was the way Kaiser wanted to upgrade the CJ line to a more civilized image for the public. The thought process was to offer a stylish CJ5 with comfort and style so the CJ would be thought of as a more sporting vehicle over it's reputation of a farm and utility vehicle. Kaiser was looking into the future to insure the CJ would continue as a popular consumer item. We can say this, without this vision the universal line would never have survived into the top selling product it is today selling 4 door versions that compete with top of the line SUVs of other companies.

In 1961 and continuing till 1963 a Limited production run of CJ5 and CJ6s were produced under the name of Tuxedo Park Park. These offered a lot, a chrome hood badge, Chrome Bumper and Bumperettes, Front 60/40 split seating, chrome hood hinges and mirror, special hub caps, and white sidewall tires. These are rare to find today and production numbers are hard to verify. Being the first of a SHOW type offering for Jeep they were amazed at how many they sold.

The Mark IV Tuxedo Park Park

In 1964 Kaiser stepped the game up and presented the package as a separate model with a serial number change to match.
It was now the Tuxedo Park Park Mark IV and was a good selling item. The offered items not offered in the regular universal line. It came with a column mounted shifter, Turbine style hub caps, Single lever transfer case shifting, the bench seat had calf grain embossed vinyl and it came with rear wheel housing pads. Improved brakes with improved springs were part of the performance upgrade. It kept the chrome goodies from before. It had it's own parts addendum, W-1175 to keep up with the part changes in the model. Model Numbers 8322 for the CJ5 and 8422 for the CJ6 were on the Vin number, this was a full scale model change. Production numbers seem to show the CJ5 sold over 7400 units and the CJ6 sold 459 units before the end of production in 1969.

This seems to be the most sought after special edition ever produced in the CJ line. The true travesty is that over the years so many were modded up for trail service it is hard to find original Parts that distinguished the model.
One of the proud points to restored Mark IV owners is this was the only special edition that carried it's own model designation.

Forward thinking with eyes to the future, Looked back at by AMC as they offered upscale Jeeps through the 70s and 80s, we can only take our hats off to this model for making the Jeep universal package the power seller it is in today's market.

tux2.jpg

tux3.jpg

tux4.jpg

tux5.jpg

tux6.jpg

tux7.jpg

tux8.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks