using YJ 4.0 intake manifold on CJ 4.2

using YJ 4.0 intake manifold on CJ 4.2
I ended up using an XJ power steering pump. The XJ has a reservoir built into it whereas the YJ has a remote reservoir. I have broken the reservoir on my wifes YJ so I went with the XJ pump/reservoir on my swap.
With the XJ pump/reservoir I couldn't use a YJ airbox. So I bought a '97 TJ 4.0 airbox and tube on Flea-Bay(I think the 2.5 set-up is the same). I used some 1/8" x 1" flat stock to bend up some mounting brackets for the airbox, while I was at it I used the same size flat stock to mount the PDC to my CJ battery tray(I'll have to change this when I get to mounting my Painless dual battery wiring harness). To connect the CCV system to the YJ EVAP canister I used the main tube from the XJ and bought some CPVC fittings at the Rutland Tractor Supply and made up a manifold and bought some hose at NAPA...auuughhhh...turns out they have the pieces on the "HELP" rack so I could have used those rather than the Tractor Supply stuff....anyhow it's all connected....
To mount the CJ motor mounts on the 4.0 block I had to drill one hole larger and get a fine thread metric bolt...I mention this because this 12mm fine thread bolt is a HARD to find item!! I cut the XJ head pipe and got some flex pipe from NAPA to connect it to my exhaust until I can get a new pipe bent up. I don't like how close the XJ pipe is to the oil pan/bell housing. I will be running the Cat for a '93 YJ and I may change the muffler to one for a YJ if it will fit as there isn't much room on a CJ5 .

I used the heat shrinkable wire connectors from NAPA for all the wiring connections(I can weld all kinds of stuff but I can't solder...). I have to extend a great thanks to the counter people at the Queensbury,NY and West Rutland, VT NAPA stores! I'm sure I wore my welcome thin with questions and e-mails on parts for this swap! On our 2 '89 YJ's I will be doing the 4.0 head/fuel injection swap rather than the 4.0 swap but most every thing I have posted will pertain other than the water pump/PS stuff. Of course the YJ head pipe will be a bolt on. I should also be able to use the YJ airboxes on those swaps(if they will work with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l PS pump). The reason I hunted out '93 components was so the wiring and other components matched my wifes '93 YJ and we could keep items in stock to service both Jeeps.
Well I hope this info helps someone out. Keep in mind the wire colors I talked about were for a '93 YJ harness. Different year harnesses or an XJ harness may have different color wires.

Last edited:
I think I forgot to mention thinning the CJ's wiring harness. I kept these wires: heater, back-up lights/4wd, oil pressure, water temperature, brake proportioning switch, WS washer, and lights. There was a big pile of wires I eliminated along with the computer for the BBD.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom