Valve cover bolt size I6 258 - the one that's different

Valve cover bolt size I6 258 - the one that's different

Flex BT

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7. I6, Weber 38/38 with TEAMRUSH upgrade. T5, Dana 300TC, Dana 30 / AMC 20, True trac w/ 4.10s. 33" All terrains

Blue and rust colored.
My valve cover didn't have the rearmost bolt on it. It is smaller than the rest but I don't have anything handy that fits. Can anyone tell me what thread / size / type this bolt is supposed to be?

Edit: It's an aluminum cover, the thread pattern in the engine block is what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
this is a new one on me. Are you sure someone didn't break something off in the hole? I would take the cover back off and climb up there to get a good look. these bolts are all the same size.:cool:

My valve cover didn't have the rearmost bolt on it. It is smaller than the rest but I don't have anything handy that fits. Can anyone tell me what thread / size / type this bolt is supposed to be?

Edit: It's an aluminum cover, the thread pattern in the engine block is what I'm looking for.

Just went out and pulled that one out of my old engine and it's smaller. I'm thinking 1/4" 20? I put a nut on it that I just got from the local hardware store that they sell in bulk, course thread, and it fit just fine. I think the rest of the valve cover bolts are 5/16".

Just went out and pulled that one out of my old engine and it's smaller. I'm thinking 1/4" 20? I put a nut on it that I just got from the local hardware store that they sell in bulk, course thread, and it fit just fine. I think the rest of the valve cover bolts are 5/16".

Thanks!! I hope that's the one...

that's one of those things that make me go "Huh".:wtf:

pretty sure the original 77, the 81 and all the 4.0 heads I have had anything to do with have all been the same size but if you have two 81s that this occurs on maybe I am mistaken.:cool:

Not sure why either....both the my 81' and 84' heads were that way, but my 95' 4.0 bolts are all the same. I haven't been around long enough to see any other heads.

And I meant "coarse" of course.:D:eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom