Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

228jeeper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ-7, 258, Desmogged, 4 speed T-176, Carter-Weber 2731, headers (no idea what kind), K&N Air Cleaner. Everything else stock as near as I can tell
I am attepmting to replace my valve cover gasket. Facing the vehicle, on the passenger side there are four hex head bolts that look to be fairly easy to remove. But on the drivers side, there are two what seem to be bolt studs and nuts. I can't see how to get a wrench or socket on these. Obviously they went on, so is there some sort of trick for removing these? I have tried to attach a picture. Thanks.

5157d1304259895-valve-cover-gasket-replacement-dsc_0750.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0750.jpg
    DSC_0750.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,656
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, valve cover is off. Is there any way to remove the two studs on the drivers side while facing the vehicle and replace them with allen head bolts like on the other side?

Double nut the stud, lock two nuts together and remove it that way, or if you don't care if they're usable again or not use a pair of vise grips or water pump pliers.

X2 on elwood

One thing
Allen head bolts are great but that would be one more tool to stash in your tool box ( your on the road tool box)

I thought of tht too but then my on board tool box got really "congested"

Thanks for all of the help guys. I bit the bullet (literally and figuratively) and put it back together as was, studs used. When it probably starts lekaing again, I will use the method described in ya'lls earlier post. But for now I am relishing in the fact that I have succesfully (?) replaced a valve cover gasket.

But, when I do re-do it, does anyone have a part number for the bolts I am going to need? Thanks

The ones to attach valve cover to head that is. Thanks

Just take one of the old bolts to a local hardware or automotive parts stores, then buy what you need with the head style you want. I would guess 5/16 14 thread with tooth washers 3/4" long.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom