Warn power Cut-off switch

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Hay all,

Wondering what you all have done for a cut off switch for winch.

Heard a few horror stories of shorting in the middle of the night and ripping the bumper off / burning up the motor etc. That was due to rain getting in a control box i believe...

I couldn't tell the best place or way to do it. :notworthy:

:chug:

~ JR

Just get a toggle switch that is within the correct amp limits, mount it where you want to and wire it between the main power for the winch and the battery/fuse box (however you choose to wire the power for the winch).

Wow, I"ve never heard of that and most people I know run a warn.
You will need something like a battery cut off switch to handle that kind af draw though.
I'd check summit racing, or somewhere like that.

Wow, I"ve never heard of that and most people I know run a warn.
Didn't appear to be too common of a problem... I think I read it on Pirate4x4 or somewhere...

Year guy woke up next morning and the winch had ripped front bumper off, and was toast from continuing to try to retract already fully retracted... :eek:

That would :censored: me off man...

Yeah I'm thinking a boat style cut off switch would work... Now just need to figure out if I just want to put it under the hood, or try to route into the cab...

~ JR

could you install a kill switch like they use for a boat or sea do...where the lanyard could be attached to your keys and then when you pull the keys out...it kills the power to the winch...that way you could never forget to hit the "main" switch?

could you install a kill switch like they use for a boat or sea do...where the lanyard could be attached to your keys and then when you pull the keys out...it kills the power to the winch...that way you could never forget to hit the "main" switch?

That's a good idea, something like this.

red-lanyard-kill-switch.jpg

Didnt think of that.. Ill look into it. I would need to occationally use the winch out of the jeep, but i could always leave it in the jeep ...

Hmm. Something to ponder more on. :rolleyes:

I still think i will just get a boat / rv battery kill switch,

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00144BF9Q/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

but will look into this more. I like the idea though :chug:

-JR

Wow, I've never heard of that either. If you want to set up an electrical disconnect remember the winch uses literally hundreds of amps. A simple relay won't cut it. You would need a high current battery disconnect. Something like this:
battery-disconnect-01.gif
I can't imagine it being a problem that happens very often and I would just leave it as is. (now watch your bumper get pulled off next week and I'll feel like a heel for telling you not to do anything)

I still think i will just get a boat / rv battery kill switch,
Like this: Perko 9601DP Marine Battery Disconnect Switch:Amazon:Automotive
but will look into this more. I like the idea though :chug:
-JR
I looked up your winch. The Warn M8000 Winch draws up to 435 amps. Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: M8000
The medium duty Perko Battery Disconnect Switch won't cut it but Perko has a Heavy Duty Disconnect Switch that can handle 450 AMPS Continuous.
Fig%209703%20Small.jpg
PERKO Inc. - Battery Switches - Heavy Duty Battery Disconnect Switch

Use this setup myself. Not only could you disconnect power to the winch if you felt the need, but easy to remove the winch if need to for any reason. Also can get a third plug and have an easy access battery jumper setup. About $9.00 at Grainger.

Connector-Plug-In-Style-2FFU4_AS01.JPG

Thanks all! :notworthy:

Ideas a flowing... Going to post up what i finally use here and in my build thread...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom