Water Pump and Thermostat

Water Pump and Thermostat

phinleft

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ7, Amc 304 V8 - AMC 20, DANA 30, Quadratra Trac TH400, 35" Mickey Thompsons MTZPainted LSU Yellow/Gold. Modified with 4bl Edelbrock Carb.
The water pump on the CJ has started leaking and draining the cooling system. I am going to replace it in a week or two, but wanted to get everyones oppinion. When I replace it, should I replace the thermostat at the same time. If so what temp thermostat is suggested for a 76 CJ5 ? Anything else I should consider replacing while it is apart?

You may want to check your timing chain slack to see if it's past due, you would be part of the way there doing the water pump. There is a method for doing that and it amounts to turning your crank via the harmonic balancer bolt with a wrench and using the degree marks while watching for camshaft movement. I checked mine while the fuel pump was out and you can see the camshaft thru the opening, I had 4-5 degrees free play and read you are good to 10 but can't confirm that.

It would be a good idea to remove the radiator also.It only takes 4 more bolts and opens up a world of space to work in.Give the radiator a good hosing when its out.

Thats a good piece of info there. Thank you. :notworthy:
You may want to check your timing chain slack to see if it's past due, you would be part of the way there doing the water pump. There is a method for doing that and it amounts to turning your crank via the harmonic balancer bolt with a wrench and using the degree marks while watching for camshaft movement. I checked mine while the fuel pump was out and you can see the camshaft thru the opening, I had 4-5 degrees free play and read you are good to 10 but can't confirm that.

Last edited:
Don't forget to check all of your hoses too!

I recently had to do the same thing. Started with the water pump...which then led to changing the radiator hoses...then discovered the radiator was completely trashed inside...then changed the thermostat...and then found that one of the heater hoses had a bulge in it!

Of course, hopefully you will have better luck than I've had...having! :bang:

Moral of the story: check it all while you are doing the job and replace everything you are not absolutely sure about!

It's amazing how one thing always leads to another.:D
All good info above, check it all and change what ever needs it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom