Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
6 cyl, 4 speed
Dana 44
4 inch skyjacker lift
weber carb
I did a bunch of searches before posting this but haven't found anything to address the issue. Hoping there's a Weber guy that can shed some light.

Brought my "new" CJ7 home last weekend. Drove the 45 min home with no issues - running real hot, but that's another post.

I'm clueless on the Weber carb. Seems to be a 38/38 because it has the gears in the back and looks like a pic that I found online.

There is a tub coming off the left side (when facing the motor from the front) that then goes down to nothing. Looks like maybe some sort of overflow, but it's pretty thick. There's definitaly some sort of fluid that has leaked out at the end (in addition to the brake fluid that leaked at some point) That's the black arrow in the picture. Should it go to one of those canister things?

Also wondering if anything should be hooked up to the two spots on the valve cover. There's a sort of T fitting on one end (grey arrow), with a cap missing, then a chrome cover on the other side.

Lots of oil all over the valve cover, need to investigate where it's coming from.

Any help would be HUGE!

Thanks

Hope this helps. I can answer questions as time permits. One thing you need with a weber is a fuel pressure regulator.

I have a EMPI conversion kit in the shop with the instructions. I can scan them when I get home on Sunday night if you haven't found it by then. Shoot me an Email to parts@texomajeeps.com to remind me to dig out the box so I don't forget (The only internet I have at the shop is my phone right now)

your black arrow hose should got to the vabor canister. It should go on the fitting closest to the firewall. If you look close enough... and have the original canister, each port is labeled. This would go to the one labled "Carb bowl".

On mine, the PCV valve (front of the valve cover) has a T in it. The PVC line runs to the base fitting of the carb and then to the vapor canister port labeld "PVC".

On your valve cover, the back fitting (breather) should run to the bottom plate of the air cleaner. That is the way Weber instructions tell you to do it. If not, it probably would be better to just get a K&N push in breather and eliminate more spaghettie under the hood. I would have done mine that way but the PO drilled a 1/2 hole at the base of the air cleaner to attache the fitting.

I'll try and post some pics later if you need them. I didnt install the Weber on mine, so I do not have the instructions. I think the Empi is pretty simialr.

your black arrow hose should got to the vabor canister. It should go on the fitting closest to the firewall. If you look close enough... and have the original canister, each port is labeled. This would go to the one labled "Carb bowl".

On mine, the PCV valve (front of the valve cover) has a T in it. The PVC line runs to the base fitting of the carb and then to the vapor canister port labeld "PVC".

On your valve cover, the back fitting (breather) should run to the bottom plate of the air cleaner. That is the way Weber instructions tell you to do it. If not, it probably would be better to just get a K&N push in breather and eliminate more spaghettie under the hood. I would have done mine that way but the PO drilled a 1/2 hole at the base of the air cleaner to attache the fitting.

I'll try and post some pics later if you need them. I didnt install the Weber on mine, so I do not have the instructions. I think the Empi is pretty simialr.

Or just trash the canister and all the other :dung: as I have. I put a little filter on my carb where the hose to the canister would go.

Guys, thanks so much for the help!
I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere with this (I know the feeling will be short lived).

Really appreciate the pics Duwhat. Cool looking rig too! Pretty close to what I'm shooting for.
I have one of the small K&N filters from when I was running a cone on my Grand Cherokee. I'll put that in the back/breather fitting.

I don't have the canister, so I'll go with that same small filter set up right off the carb.

The fuel presure regulator is next, I read about that in a few other posts. Any helpful hints/suggestions with that? Looks pretty straight forward.

The only question/issue is that I have a brake booster, so the hose that runs from the PVC to Carb goes from the Carb to brake booster.
Still leaves - what to do with the PVC off of the valve cover???

And thanks for spelling it out for me Tony Marc. Pictures only get me so far.

So PVC to what. I'll do a little more digging.

Thanks.

Look how Duhwhat has his PVC hose. I would go with a single hose from the PCV to the baseplate of the carb.

As for the pwr brakes, there is a fitting just above the EGR valve that is threaded into the intake manifold. I attached a pic so you can see it. My Brake booster is connected to this fitting. Mine is an 85 so it should be similar. In your pic, I cant really see where the EGR is or the fitting above it.

Hopefully this helps you out.....

I yield to Mark on the brake booster, don't have one.

I would install a pressure gauge behind the regulator so you can determine the pressure. I got mine at Orielly's. I read some reviews and it was a better regulator than Autozone.

Yes! Now it's coming together.

I have that spot on the intake manifold. There is a bolt in there. I'm assuming I just take the bolt out and thread in one of those fitting for a hose to slip over.

I'll get everything connected up, fire it up, see how it runs compared to before, THEN install the regulator + gage. Just so I'll know what screws me up.

I also noticed that the spot that Ts off from the fuel intake on my carb is open. Guess I'll plug that with a bolt like Duwhat.

My only concern is that the Jeep seems to run pretty well right now, so why fix what doesn't seem broken. But I gotto see if there will be an improvement and it seems like the right way to go.

Thanks again for all the help.
I'll post the end result (hopefully a good one).

Just want to post a quick update after all of the help.

I finally got around to making the changes. Everything hooked up per the instructions. Fired her up and all seems to be good. Idles and seems to run well. I'm having some brake issues, so I haven't gone for a ride yet, but she revs well.

The only thing not 100% right is that there is a breather going from inside the carb air intake (it goes from outside, inside/bypasses the airfilter) that should run from the valve breather. Without going from the valve breather it's sucking dirty air right into the carb. Instead of running a hose from the valve to the carb, I'd rather leave the breather on the valve cover and just plug the opening in the carb. Just need to find a good way to do that. Plus, I spent way too long trying to get the hose onto the opening off the carb - darn thing is just a little too big.

Anyway, great help from everyone.
Thanks so much.

:notworthy:

Well I finally got my scanner to play nice with the new computer...
Not sure you need these now, maybe CJ or a mod can make a document out of them for future reference?

CJ7inNH... Glad to see its coming together for ya. To my knowledge the hose connected to the valve cover (back side) actually sucks air too. That is why it is connected to the air cleaner assembly just after the filter.

At least that is the way I understand it to work..... Possibly someone else here can confirm for the both of us.

Guys, thanks for all of the help!
I got pulled away from the CJ project (and everything) for a while, but am back on now.

Carb is all hooked up according to the previous instructions. Seems to run real smooth. Again, fires right up and for some short trips around the area, runs good.

I'm having a brake issue that just got me thinking maybe it's related to the carb change. Brakes were not great before, but performed solid. Now I'm loosing preasure completely at times and the brake goes right to the floor. A few quick pumps and I'm back in business. Before I made the changes the brake booster had a hose running to the PVC, now it's hooked up right below the carb to the intake. Wondering if this change may have caused the issue. Any ideas?

I know there is a ton of info on this site for brake troubleshooting, so I'll hit that next. Also have the normal leak around the master cyl somewhere (probably the top seal)

Thanks again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom