4 inch Rancho lift, Edlebrock shocks,
On board Air,
Smittybuilt winch bumper,
M8000 Warn, 10k Synthetic,
Swing tire carrier with Hi-Lift,
extra fuel, shovel, chainsaw,
33" KM2's on 8 inch rims,
Bestop Super Top!
So I am considering selling a hardtop off a CJ7 I picked up!
The top is a different year than the jeep, but it is in really nice condition.
The top is a early CJ7 top! It looks like it was repainted, but they did a nice job, its not Rhino coated and still is smooth finish!
All factory! rear hatch is original and is metal! No cracks or chips in the fiberglass!
I would like to hang on to it, but I know I probably won't put it back on the jeep once I put the soft top on!
I want to keep the full hard doors! But for the price would consider selling them.
The top has been on this jeep for quite a few years and it has been inside a shop for about 12 years!

I just went thru an ordeal 2 months ago trying to purchase a top in central Indiana. A good top on Craigslist went for about $600 to $800 but they were YJ tops. I couldn't find a CJ top that wasn't rusted out in the back. If I did find one, it either sold to the first guy there or it was further South in Kentucky and would require a few hours drive, one way. So, in my opinion, if it is a true CJ top and in good shape, definitely worth more than $600 around here. $900 probably wouldn't be out of line.

Hard doors that fit a CJ7 go for $200 to $800 around here. There are 3 models that will fit a CJ7 . The first version had the chrome L shaped outer handle. The second version had the recessed outer handle. The 3rd version is a YJ with the recessed handle and I think an outside mirror mounted on it. It's pretty hard to find a set without rust around here.

Thanks for the input. Mine is the first version. so are the doors!
All steel and chrome is in real nice shape!
I was considering $900 for the top without doors and $1200 with doors.
The doors have the usual stress crack at the Non-wing window.
The rubber is in good shape and windows work great.

3 years ago I sold a complete ACME top and doors for a CJ7 or YJ, that was in very good shape for $400. I turned right around and bought a factory CJ7 spice hard top with factory tinted windows from a guy for $200, and it had been sitting in his basement for 12-15 years...

Secondly, there is no such thing as first version or second version CJ tops. There are different versions of doors, and YJ's have different tops than CJ's. Read more here: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f99/differences-between-cj7-yj-hardtop-3539/

And I'm also going to apologize right now, because I'm going to speak honestly about this. NorthwestCJer, if you have rotary style doors with non-movable vent windows, they are not the factory originals for an '84, rotary doors where only from '76 to '80. Not that that's a big deal, but most guys will go out and spend less money on latch style CJ doors, or YJ doors, for less money and a lot less hassle than dealing with the rotary doors. Do you know how much money or time it costs to correctly fix the stress crack by the non-movable wing window? The only people that I know of that go looking for rotary doors are guys that are doing resto's, or dumba**es like me that want them because "that was what is original" on the CJ...

Now, I honestly don't know about where you live, but I have never seen a CJ7 top and doors sell for that much money. There are constantly ads on craigslist and Ebay from guys trying to sell CJ doors and tops for that amount of money and they never sell. It's not like you're trying to sell a factory original Scrambler hardtop or an ACME CJ5 hardtop, you have a run of the mill CJ7 hardtop and doors, you'll never get that amount of money out of them.

Round here about $500 for a decent top and $300 for full doors.

Elwood, you are quite the <-BAD WORD-> aren't you!

First, I never said it was on my 84 CJ7 . In fact I have had and built over thirteen jeep CJ's and usually have more than one at a time.

Second, I even said in my original post that it isn't the correct top for the jeep.

And Third! I stated I really didn't want to sell the doors but would if the price is right.

You really need to learn to read! This isn't my first rodeo so I am not sure who you think you are trying to lecture.

Thanks to the rest for the input!

Elwood, you are quite the <-BAD WORD-> aren't you!

First, I never said it was on my 84 CJ7 . In fact I have had and built over thirteen jeep CJ's and usually have more than one at a time.

Second, I even said in my original post that it isn't the correct top for the jeep.

And Third! I stated I really didn't want to sell the doors but would if the price is right.

You really need to learn to read! This isn't my first rodeo so I am not sure who you think you are trying to lecture.

Well, you're the second person to call me an <-BAD WORD-> tonight, my wife told that too :rolleyes:.

Listen, I didn't try to infer that you didn't know what you're talking about or that you didn't know what you're doing, if you took it that way then you took it the wrong way. I was telling you my honest appraisal, which is what you asked for. I don't think that a CJ7 top and doors, no matter what kind of shape they are in, are worth $1200.

Elwood, you are quite the *** aren't you!

First and foremost - Call anyone an *** for posting again and you will get a time out - especially a Moderator. Personal attacks are not tolerated here - period.

Second - This is a forum, you will get different ideas, advice and opinions from different people, that is the way a forum works. ;) You started the thread called 'What are people willing to pay for a CJ7 hardtop' asking for opinions.

Third - You have only one CJ listed in your profile, I as well surmised that you were talking about the ONLY CJ we could have possibly know you owned. Want advice on a different CJ then in your profile - give more information... I just read all of your prior posts and no where does it list an experience level, we don't know if you built thirteen Jeeps or even one - can't read your mind though the internet. :)

Fourth and the most important - Don't be so thin skinned, 'type speak' is an awfully hard thing to do over the internet on a forum. Sometimes you may not like a reply but that is the nature of a forum. You can take advice or leave it - but if you start a thread or reply to a post be prepared for both the replies you like and dislike.

Now - we appreciate your participation and hope you continue to do so, anyone who has built thirteen Jeeps has knowledge to share. :chug:

Well i'm sure prices are different in different areas of the country.Where I currently live in West Virginia they used to be somewhat expensive.Years ago I often saw tops with doors with asking prices of $1000.+,how often they got it I dont know but I rarely saw any cheap ones.

About 10 years ago someone gave me one in very poor shape.I fiberglassed the rusty rear hatch,sprayed a couple of coats of spraycan bedliner on it and advertised it for $500. with no doors and ran an ad.I sold it the first day and my phone rang for two weeks.There were still a lot of cjs running around back then.

The last few years I see them frequently for $200.-$400.There arent many cjs running around anymore here and most people are ok with using a yj top and wouldn't pay five extra dollars for an original cj one.I never thought I would see the day when I could buy a used hardtop and doors cheaper then I could buy a new soft top...but that day is here.;)

Of course other areas may be much different.When I lived in wyoming I saw stuff sell for twice what it did around here during the same time period.I'm generally a cheapskate too so i'm generally only willing to pay about half of what I think market value is for anything...if that.:)

Could I get some pictures of the hard top and doors? :eek:
I have been looking at a nice hard top on eBay for $495 but it's in PA, I'm in NC and don't want to make that trip to see if it's in as good a shape as pictures show.
Thanks!

had the same question for a hardtop on my CJ5 . Figured after a bunch of research its worth around $500-$800. Problem is it's an item you can really only sell locally.

Don't know about hardtops, but I've seen sets of full doors routinely sell on ebay for in the $400- $500 range (which includes the shipping charge of $200). One guy was mighty proud of his and was asking ~$1,000 for a set in really good shape.

I don't think $1000 is unheard of for a hardtop/door set.

Reminds me of what my dad used to say, "something is worth only what somebody will pay for it".

But then again he also said, "if you're at a place where you need four-wheel drive, you shouldn't be there anyway". Ha.

Don't know about hardtops, but I've seen sets of full doors routinely sell on ebay for in the $400- $500 range (which includes the shipping charge of $200). One guy was mighty proud of his and was asking ~$1,000 for a set in really good shape.

I don't think $1000 is unheard of for a hardtop/door set.

Reminds me of what my dad used to say, "something is worth only what somebody will pay for it".

But then again he also said, "if you're at a place where you need four-wheel drive, you shouldn't be there anyway". Ha.

$1000 for doors alone?

Yeah, just doors.
Ebay is it's own market though. For instance, there are four CJ7s on ebay with asking prices in the $25-30k range.

Thanks for the input. Mine is the first version. so are the doors!
All steel and chrome is in real nice shape!
I was considering $900 for the top without doors and $1200 with doors.
The doors have the usual stress crack at the Non-wing window.
The rubber is in good shape and windows work great.

You are in Spokane, I'm in Snohomish, any chance you can post photos of the hard top? I am in the market for one.

Like others have said, it really depends on your location. When I was building my CJ in Pa., last year, parts were everywhere as Pa. has a lot of Jeeps. I found my first top at the same place I found my $40 dollar wagon wheels and gave the guy $50 bucks for it, with a rusty tailgate. Little did I know then how hard it is to find a good tailgate on a bad top. I then had another member on here contact me about a top he had for sale. I feel pretty fortunate to have only paid $350 for that top, as it's almost perfect and has the tinted windows, but then again, it did seem to be the going price for tops in Pa. at the time. Time of year will affect the asking price as well, at least in the northern states, I would guess by March, you couldn't give it away..

Guess it depends on your location, but hard top and door combos sell anywhere from $400-750 around me depending on condition. There's a $500 combo nearby right now with excellent doors and a decent but not perfect hard top.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom