What battery

What battery

Sasquach

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 258 w/4.0head, Mopar MPI, P.S., P.B.,Tilt wheel, No stereo, t-18, t-20, amc 20, dana-30 w/tru-trac, Warn full float w/locking hubs & Detroit locker in the AMC.
1964 CJ3B, 4-134
1952 M100 trailer
Thinking about replacing my battery with an Optima or? What is the best way to go for normal use?

How much $$$ are you willing to spend?

How much $$$ are you willing to spend?
How much can a battery cost? I was thinking Optima but not sure red or yellow or if something else.
Less than $300?

There's only about $30 difference between a red top ($190 ish) and a yellow top ($220 ish)Optima, IMHO the little extra money for the deep cycle capacity is worth it. You can get a good Interstate battery for $130 - $AMC 150 . I guess it's just going to depend on how much you really want to spend.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you have an electric winch. I would get a red top Optima battery.
The yellow top is a deep cycle. Thats good for a 2nd battery that is used for a winch.
The red top is a standard battery. It doesn't like to be completely discharged. On the other hand if you have a 2nd battery for a winch you are better off with a yellow top. Those deep cycle batteries can be discharged all the way. Actually that's good for a deep cycle battery.
I'm not sure but I think the Optima batteries are too big for the OEM battery tray. you might want one of these trays:
BTF13042.jpg

http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet/the-20843/Blue-Torch-Fabworks-Optima/Detail

Thinking about replacing my battery with an Optima or? What is the best way to go for normal use?

As said "what is the BEST way to go?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you have an electric winch. I would get a red top Optima battery.
The yellow top is a deep cycle. Thats good for a 2nd battery that is used for a winch.
The red top is a standard battery. It doesn't like to be completely discharged. On the other hand if you have a 2nd battery for a winch you are better off with a yellow top. Those deep cycle batteries can be discharged all the way. Actually that's good for a deep cycle battery.
I'm not sure but I think the Optima batteries are too big for the OEM battery tray. you might want one of these trays:
BTF13042.jpg

Blue Torch Fabworks Optima Battery Box, for JK, TJ, YJ, CJ, and Cherokee Jeep

Thanks, I do have a winch but does not see much use so far and why not leave your engine running if you are winching? I will have to look into the size issue i guess.

True, it's best to keep your engine running when winching. But the winch uses much more power than the alternator can put out. You can drain your battery (even when the engine is running). Maybe a Yellow top would hold up better.
Also you might not always have the engine running when winching. For exanple maybe you stalled out in water. Maybe you rolled off a ledge.
Really the best setup would be 2 batteries. One red, one yellow top. Then you can winch without the engine running. And when you are ready start up your jeep.

i got a yellow top and its been good for me. the best part about it is i got it for free :D

After checking the specs at the Optima site the group 34 battery would be close in the width and probably just fit and there is 1/2" to spare in the length.
Not too concerned with the winch issue so I'm thinking the redtop but needed some advise.

An Optima will fit in the OEM tray

dsc_1187.jpg

Do you have the OEM battery tray?

ya i got the oem tray. fits perfect. i think i had to flip the hold down up side down that was it.

Another good thing about the Optima battery is it has both side and top posts (yes there are other batteries like this).
Since you wont be getting a dual battery setup. You can connect all 4 cables directly to the battery. IMO that's better than connecting 2 to the top post or an extra cable on the starter solenoid.

i have my battery cables mounted to the top and my foglights and msd box mounted on the front ones. makes it nice.

After a bit of reading on the Optima site the yellow is considered a duel purpose (starting and deep cycle) but the red top has higher cranking amps for the same group.
The yellow makes sense if you do any winching or hanging out listening to music or whatever without the engine running.

Why did you choose Yellow top?

I have a really bad habit of killing batteries, leaving the interior lights on, leaving the radio on too long, working on the carb and killing the battery trying to get it refired, whatever the case may be. Plus, IIRC, I got a really good deal at Sears a couple of years ago on it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom