What is this???????

What is this???????

FD5150

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 150ci 4banger, T5 tranny, stock
I have a coolant leak, it is coming from the right side of the block, just above the starter. I am guessing it is a freeze plug, but it is round, appears to be cork, and has a bolt through the center. If this is a freeze plug, do I just unbolt it to remove/replace it. Any help???:chug:

Pik would be great. I doubt it's cork, It's prolly deteriorated rubber, and yes, it's probably a freeze plug. Those bolt in plugs are a just a quick patch and not a permanent solution to a problem. Best to remove it and install a proper brass plug.

rubber freeze plug - Google Search

Not a big fan of them myself.

attachment.php

Looks like someone might have put a expansion plug in it for a quick repair.It goes in the hole and expands as you tighten the bolt.Picture of it would be nice before we can give a good opinion.If it is ,you would loosen the bolt pull out the plug clean up the area and buy the right freeze plug for it.
Mike

Thanks for the quick responses. Now that I think of it, they may have just painted over it, and it has cracked. So am I correct, If I pull it, and clean it up, I should be able to put the proper plug in????

Yep go to Napa or reliable parts house pick up the right one.Drive it in carefully.I don't know if you need to apply anything to it or not[sealant]I never have.Tap it in lightly to get it started,make sure its square and drive it in till its flush.I used a piece of wood to put mine in but someone might have a better idea.I'm sure there's a$100 dollar tool out there just for that purpose.Someone might else will come along with a better way to install it also so.Your on the right track thou.
Good Luck Mike:chug:

Yep go to Napa or reliable parts house pick up the right one.Drive it in carefully.I don't know if you need to apply anything to it or not[sealant]I never have.Tap it in lightly to get it started,make sure its square and drive it in till its flush.I used a piece of wood to put mine in but someone might have a better idea.I'm sure there's a$100 dollar tool out there just for that purpose.Someone might else will come along with a better way to install it also so.Your on the right track thou.
Good Luck Mike:chug:
Big socket.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom