fcb212003

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7,
Origional Owner,
T4
All stock (for now)
I am in the middle of a rebuild and am at the point of trying to decide what to do with my engine and Transmission . I already decided that I am going to get a crate AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to replace the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I already have. My question to all of you is if I should upgrade my Transmission or not. I currently have a T-4 . I don't plan on doing any crazy offroading or put a huge lift on it. I think I am going to try and keep the jeep as close to stock as I can. Here is a link for pictures of it.
http://1983cj7.blogspot.com

My question to all of you is if I should upgrade my Transmission or not. I currently have a T-4 .
Yes, upgrade your Transmission . The T-4 is a light duty tranny.
I had an '82 CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a T-5 Transmission (same as a T-4 except with an Overdrive ). When the tranny gave out i replaced it with a Ford T-18 . That's what I recommend you do. Don't get a Jeep T-18 . They were mated to Dana 20 transfer cases - it won't work.
If you get a ford T-18 you will need an adapter kit. I got mine from Advanced Adapters but Novak also has the same kit.
The kit includes a new main (output) shaft for the T-18 .
The T-18 will bolt up to your bellhousing. All you will have to do is drill and tap 4 holes. Use a ford clutch friction plate. The pressure plate will be a jeep.
50-7502.jpg

50-7502 | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters
Here is the Novak web site.
Adapting the T18 & T19 Transmissions to the Jeep Dana 300 Transfer Case
One last thing: the drive shafts won't need to be replaced or modified with this T-18 swap.

Last edited:
The T18A tranny is great! If your an offroader even better. 6:32 first gear you can practically get out and walk around the jeep when in 1st. Not sure about the bell housing with the jeep T-18 to your straight 6 but they work fine on the AMC 304 and 360 bell housing. Good luck.

Did you guys read his post at all? :confused: A T-4 may be a weak Transmission . but he is keeping it as stock as possible. So why would he want a long throw T-18 with that super low gear? True, Its GREAT for off roading, but it doesn't sound like he needs that capability.
I'd think a good stock Jeep 5 speed would be a good Transmission choice for him. One that could be driven in town without killing his arm rowing the gearshift, and have an OD for the longer stints behind the wheel.
I'd bet even that stock T-4 would survive behind that AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l for a lot of trouble free miles with a freshening up and proper maintenance.

I am in the middle of a rebuild and am at the point of trying to decide what to do with my engine and Transmission . I already decided that I am going to get a crate AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to replace the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I already have. My question to all of you is if I should upgrade my Transmission or not. I currently have a T-4 . I don't plan on doing any crazy offroading or put a huge lift on it. I think I am going to try and keep the jeep as close to stock as I can. Here is a link for pictures of it.
http://1983cj7.blogspot.com

People bash the T-5 but I had one behind my 84 CJ7 for years and never had an issue. I had 31 inch tires and nothing else. The jeep drove great and we took it off road on mild trails.

Since you want to keep it stock, be one of the smart people and save the original engine AND Transmission . Even cracked blocks are repairable. That tranny has lasted this long, and could be made to last much longer again. As time passes on, the original jeeps will be the most desirable.
Sometimes changinng parts is taking the easy way out. I have original and modified jeeps.

Of course street use is not as hard on transmissions (and other parts) as hard off roading.
But the T-4 and the T-5 transmissions are the lightest duty transmissions to go into a CJ during the '70s and '80s (and probally any CJ). The next lightest Transmission would be the SR4 . Most transmissions to go into CJs have been medium or heavy duty. If you are going to stay on the street and use 31 or smaller tires these light duty transmissions may work for many years. A new T-4 or T-5 may go well over 100,000 miles of light duty use. Even with street use I would rather get a used T-18 than a rebuilt T-4 or T-5 but that's just my opinion.

Not sure about the bell housing with the jeep T-18 to your straight 6 but they work fine on the AMC 304 and 360 bell housing. Good luck.
I had an '82 CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a T-5 Transmission . I swapped the ford T-18 and mated it to the 285. The T-18 will bolt up to your bellhousing. As I said all you will have to do is drill and tap 4 holes.

I may be in the minority here but I would rather put in a used ford T-18 and adapter than a rebuilt T-5 . And the cost will be about the same. I would not even think about putting in a used T-5 but that's just my opinion.
The T-18 was the best tranny to ever go into a jeep

As time passes on, the original jeeps will be the most desirable.
Sometimes changinng parts is taking the easy way out. I have original and modified jeeps.

Did you guys read his post at all? :confused: A T-4 may be a weak Transmission . but he is keeping it as stock as possible. So why would he want a long throw T-18 with that super low gear? True, Its GREAT for off roading, but it doesn't sound like he needs that capability.
I'd think a good stock Jeep 5 speed would be a good Transmission choice for him. One that could be driven in town without killing his arm rowing the gearshift, and have an OD for the longer stints behind the wheel.
I'd bet even that stock T-4 would survive behind that AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l for a lot of trouble free miles with a freshening up and proper maintenance.

Again, great info guys. This is my first full rebuild and this site has helped out a lot.

Jeepy and mylillecj5 were write in stating that I do not plan on doing much, if any offroading with this jeep. This jeep has been in my family since 83 and I just don't want to beat it up anymore. After I finish this rebuild, my next project will be to rebuild a different jeep that I can have a lot of offroading fun in and modify the hell out of it.

I do want to keep a lot of this jeep stock, but also want to upgrade anything that will help the jeep run and stay alive longer. New suspensions, body mounts, wheels, etc will all be upgraded, but not to the extreme where it looks like another modified jeep. I don't know much about transmissions at all and need your help. I never had problems with the T-4 that is already in there, but I also don't want to do anything half <-BAD WORD-> on this rebuild if possible. If it means to rebuild my current T-4 or replace the T-4 with a T-5 or a T-18 , then I'll do it. I just want this jeep to run good and also look great. I also would not mind driving it long distance, rather than towing it, to jeep shows or other car shows.

Thanks again for the advice and keep it coming!

Again, great info guys. This is my first full rebuild and this site has helped out a lot.

Jeepy and mylillecj5 were write in stating that I do not plan on doing much, if any offroading with this jeep. This jeep has been in my family since 83 and I just don't want to beat it up anymore. After I finish this rebuild, my next project will be to rebuild a different jeep that I can have a lot of offroading fun in and modify the hell out of it.

I do want to keep a lot of this jeep stock, but also want to upgrade anything that will help the jeep run and stay alive longer. New suspensions, body mounts, wheels, etc will all be upgraded, but not to the extreme where it looks like another modified jeep. I don't know much about transmissions at all and need your help. I never had problems with the T-4 that is already in there, but I also don't want to do anything half <-BAD WORD-> on this rebuild if possible. If it means to rebuild my current T-4 or replace the T-4 with a T-5 or a T-18 , then I'll do it. I just want this jeep to run good and also look great. I also would not mind driving it long distance, rather than towing it, to jeep shows or other car shows.

Thanks again for the advice and keep it coming!

You can upgrade to T-176 , you have a Dana 300 Transfer Case , so it's a direct swamp. I have this Transmission with 360 AMC, never have problem with it. Also it's great to go off-road.

Allow me to summarize. Here are your options:

T-4 - 4 speed found in '82 to '86 CJs. Keep what you already have.
> Pros: If it works don't fix it.
> Cons: Light Duty - worse Transmission to go into a CJ.
> Install tips: Already installed.

T-5 - 5 speed found in '82 to '86 CJs. Same as T-4 but has Overdrive
> Pros: Overdrive , very easy swap.
> Cons: Light duty. Same as T-4
> Install tips: Since the T-5 uses the same case as your T-4 this is the easiest swap.

T-176 & T177 - Medium duty 4 speed used in CJs from '80 to '86. The T177 has a lower 1st otherwise these 2 are the same.
> Pros: Very strong for their size. Used in the same years as your CJ so an easy swap with stock parts.
> Cons: Since these transmissions are shorter than the T-4 you will need a longer rear drive shaft and a shorter front drive shaft.
> Install tips: If you can get the bellhousing and driveshafts from the donor CJ it is a very easy swap. Otherwise you will have to drill and tap 4 holes in your bellhousing (a very easy mod) and get new drive shafts.

T-18 - Heavy duty 4 speed with a granny low 1st. used in 6 cylinder and V8 Jeeps from '66 to '79 and many Fords such as the F series trucks.
> Pros: Best Transmission ever put in a Jeep. Granny low 1st. No need to buy new drive shafts.
> Cons: Was not put into CJs of the '80s and therefor not considered stock for an '83
> Install tips: Get a Ford T-18 . You will need an adapter kit. Drill and tap the bellhousing the same as with the T-176 & T177. I have already covered the T-18 swap earlier in this thread but here it is again:
Yes, upgrade your Transmission . The T-4 is a light duty tranny.
I had an '82 CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a T-5 Transmission (same as a T-4 except with an Overdrive ). When the tranny gave out i replaced it with a Ford T-18 . That's what I recommend you do. Don't get a Jeep T-18 . They were mated to Dana 20 transfer cases - it won't work.
If you get a ford T-18 you will need an adapter kit. I got mine from Advanced Adapters but Novak also has the same kit.
The kit includes a new main (output) shaft for the T-18 .
The T-18 will bolt up to your bellhousing. All you will have to do is drill and tap 4 holes. Use a ford clutch friction plate. The pressure plate will be a jeep.
50-7502.jpg

50-7502 | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters
Here is the Novak web site.
Adapting the T18 & T19 Transmissions to the Jeep Dana 300 Transfer Case
One last thing: the drive shafts won't need to be replaced or modified with this T-18 swap.

Last edited:
You can upgrade to T-176 , you have a Dana 300 Transfer Case , so it's a direct swamp. I have this Transmission with 360 AMC, never have problem with it. Also it's great to go off-road.

x2 just for a bit of confidence in the tranny a 176 in my old cj from years back was in a POS CJ5 and both were used and abused by the PO but held up quite well in the conditions similar to what you intend

The T-4 /5 has a weak point and that is the synchros. You can destroy one of these trannies just shifting hard. I know, I've done it. Offroad, they are just weak but that has nothing to do with the synchros.

I still say replace it. I rebuilt my T-5 twice before I finally got smart and dropped a T-18 in. You can re-use the bell housing with a couple holes drilled out and your original clutch, pressure plate, etc. You would need a new pilot bushing for the input shaft.

If you want to keep it closer to stock, go with a T-176 . still stock AMC and is rated as a medium duty tranny vs. the light duty rating of the T-4 /5

I was just thinking. Don't know if you've made any decisions yet, but if you are going to keep it original, keep that original tranny. But if you are going to change it, then don't mess around with a slightly better tranny. Go with the T-18 or something even better as suggested. There is no reason to go somewhere inbetween.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom