What transmission should I go with if I upgrade?

What transmission should I go with if I upgrade?
Don't forget the NP 435. all the good things of the T-18 , an inch shorter and a lower first gear. It may even weigh a pound or two less.:cool:

I was in the same boat as you. I had a '82 CJ7 with a T-5 and Dana 300 . When the T-5 gave out I replaced it with a Ford T-18 . That tranny mated up to my bell housing but I had to drill holes in the bell housing to bolt it up the T-18 . There were flat spots on the bell housing where I had to drill. I could tell the factory used the same bell housing to mate to the jeep T-18 . The ford input shaft is the correct length for the bell housing.
Next issue - the clutch. I used a CenterForce clutch. I used a standard pressure plate for my Jeep AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . The friction plate was intended for ford. A jeep friction plate didn't have the correct number of splines (or maybe the diameter of the hole was wrong. don't remember) Just make sure the friction plate has the same diamiter as the pressure plate (10.5 inches if I remember right).
Then to get the T-18 to mate to my Dana 300 Transfer Case I needed a kit from Advanced Adapters. That kit involved replacing the main shaft of the T-18 . That sounds like a big job but the T-18 isn't hard to rebuild (compared to other transmissions).
Then to take out the T-5 . I remember it weighed 65 pounds and the T-18 was well over twice that.

Machine I plan on putting a T-18 in my CJ5 when i do the tranny swap. cant go wrong with what was a factory option on jeeps! And if you look around you can probably find one from a pick and pull for cheap and just rebuild it yourself. i know time is a issue and space since mine has been sitting in storage on base here in San Diego since early 08:eek:. but its ok i just got a place with a garage and i get it next month!:D

Good luck with the swap and baja has it right you'll be more proud of it if you do the work yourself!

You want a T-18 and you want to keep your Dana 300 T Case? That's not going to happen without using an adapter. The T-18 was never mated to a Dana 300 . They stopped putting the T-18 into CJs in 1980. As far as I know all T18s were mated to Dana 20 TCases. There is a big difference. The Jeep T-18 had a big gear sticking out the back. This entire gear fit into the Dana 20 . When they came out with the Dana 300 the transfer cases needed an Transmission output shaft sticking into the TCase.
In the '70s jeeps had stout transmissions and the Dana 20 . In the '80s CJ had Dana 300s and were mated to lighter duty transmissions.

In the '80s the jeep trucks had T-176 , T177, T178 transmissions. I thing all of these were mated to the Dana 300 . These are good 4 speed transmissions but not as strong as the T-18 .

The T-176 , T177, T178 transmissions out of jeep trucks may have longer input shafts.

Novak adapt sells a T-18 ready to be installed to a Dana 300 . You can buy one with all of the adapters an ready to install in the jeep.

Thats too much for me really. why pay 1500 for a rebuilt T-18 with the adaptors when i can pay 400 for a rebuilt and bolt it to my Dana 20 and it will be just as strong. sure you might want lower gears in the t-fer case but you can buy those for cheaper then the cost to convert to a Dana 300

Yeah but I already have the Dana 300 and I'm a big fan of it. I'm looking for like a bit of insurance with this tranny, I want to make sure this thing don't fail me

cant say that i blame you if i wasnt married and didnt have my first kid on the way id be spending about 1500 a month on the jeep right now and livin in a 600 dollar a month appartment. (yes 600 is low rent out here)

cant say that i blame you if i wasnt married and didnt have my first kid on the way id be spending about 1500 a month on the jeep right now and livin in a 600 dollar a month appartment. (yes 600 is low rent out here)

600 a month isn't that bad here either. I don't exactly make 1500 a month but I'm usually spending it on the jeep.

600 a month isn't that bad here either. I don't exactly make 1500 a month but I'm usually spending it on the jeep.

600 a month in San Diego means your living in mexico or on the boarder in the ghetto. average rent is about 12-1800 a month!!!!

Your army right? im navy E-5 with bah makes alot of difference. When i didnt get bah i only made about 1500 a month with bah its a lil over 4k. Just take your time with the jeep and build it as you can. Im trying to get mine up and running the way i want it before july 2011.

600 a month in San Diego means your living in mexico or on the boarder in the ghetto. average rent is about 12-1800 a month!!!!

Your army right? im navy E-5 with bah makes alot of difference. When i didnt get bah i only made about 1500 a month with bah its a lil over 4k. Just take your time with the jeep and build it as you can. Im trying to get mine up and running the way i want it before july 2011.

Yeah man, I've got a laundry list of parts I want for it. New sending unit, new gears and axles, new tranny, new tires, new carb, new bumper, offroad lights, new light bar, hi-lift jack, and a few other things I can't remember. I'm only an e3 right now so I'm not exactly making the big bucks. I get jump pay and BAS, and that really helps.

I just came across a T-176 that I can't use with my Dana 20 without spending serious bank on an adapter. It would be cheaper for me to buy a good used Dana 300 than to buy the adapter to make it work with my 20. I might be selling the T-176 if you're interested, but shipping from MO to NC would cost a little.

I just came across a T-176 that I can't use with my Dana 20 without spending serious bank on an adapter. It would be cheaper for me to buy a good used Dana 300 than to buy the adapter to make it work with my 20. I might be selling the T-176 if you're interested, but shipping from MO to NC would cost a little.

Thank you for the offer but I'm going to stick with my Dana 300 and upgrade my tranny after I get drive the hell out if mine and get the money I put into it back out of it. It might take me a long time to do the swap and I don't want to miss any of the warm seasons with my jeep in the garage.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom