What year did they switch to wide track axles on CJs?

What year did they switch to wide track axles on CJs?

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
I was putting all new brakes on the project last night and discovered the parts store gave me the wrong calipers for my 79 CJ7 . After a little research I found that a previous owner switched to the 1982 and later front brakes. I'm thinking they may have just switched the entire axles to some from a later year. Since my jeep is currently just a fiberglass tub sitting on a frame with wheels of unknown back spacing and no flares, it's hard for me to tell if I have the narrow axles or not? Can someone help me identify which axles I have???

82 was the year they switched to wide trac. Other than measuring wms to wms how many bolts are on the hubs? If there's 5 bolts odds are they're wide trac axles. Really the best way is to measure though.

82 was the year they switched to wide trac. Other than measuring wms to wms how many bolts are on the hubs? If there's 5 bolts odds are they're wide trac axles. Really the best way is to measure though.

Which bolts, the lugs? If so they're still 5 on 5 1/5. Or are you talking about other bolts? Do you happen to know the width of the wide tracs? I'd be happy to measure. It would make my whole day if I find out it has the wide tracs.

Funny story. I bought all new brake parts. First thing I did was paint the calipers so it would be drying while I installed the rear. When I got around to the front I found that I had the wrong calipers. When I dug the old cores out of one of the parts boxes I got with the jeep I looked online for jeep calipers that matched the old ones and found that they were used from 82 to 87. The problem is I already painted the new incorrect calipers!!! I wasn't about to eat the cost of new calipers and the core charge so I soaked them in 3/4 of a gallon of laquer thinner and removed all the paint. Lol They look just like they did before so I can go exchange them. :D

It's embarrassing that I made such a rookie mistake by just assuming I had the right parts without checking. :eek:

no prob, some earlier owner may have converted to disc and used the stuff he sourced from the junk yard, If you get a jeep from me it would have GM truck disc in the front. Funny thing about jeeps is they all seem to have conversions on them

no prob, some earlier owner may have converted to disc and used the stuff he sourced from the junk yard, If you get a jeep from me it would have GM truck disc in the front. Funny thing about jeeps is they all seem to have conversions on them

What I bought was a frame in really good shape with a AMC 304 and drive train already installed, a new fiberglass tub and fenders, and a whole lot of parts with an ID tag and title. The 79 would have come stock with discs on the front, but it has the later models. I'm wondering if the frame and axles are all from an 82 or newer. I plan to run 33x12.5 tires on 15x10 wheels so if it's a wide trac it will make life much easier!

The wide track is 56" in front and 54 1/2 in the rear. Thats wms to wms.

I wouldn't want to be the guy that buys thoes calipers after sitting in laquor thinner.:eek:

The wide track is 56" in front and 54 1/2 in the rear. Thats wms to wms.

I wouldn't want to be the guy that buys thoes calipers after sitting in laquor thinner.:eek:

They're fine. They still had the plugs in them so none got inside. It only took a couple minutes to remove the paint since it hadn't cured yet. :)

Stock wide track front axles had a different locking hub assembly. The older narrow track had the beefy looking lock. I know my rear axle which is narrow track measures 45 inches across if you measure from the inside of the brake backing plates.

I am pretty sure CJ7s all switched in 82 but the CJ5 stayed with narrow track until there demise in 83.

The bolts holding the hub itself on. But best bet is to measure from the description Old Dog mentioned. Wms is wheel mounting surface in case your not familiar with the abbreviation. As far as being embarrassed I wouldn't be. Amc mish-moshed all sorts of parts together on Jeeps over the years , not to mention what previous owners did in the last 30 yrs.
Which bolts, the lugs?

It's embarrassing that I made such a rookie mistake by just assuming I had the right parts without checking. :eek:

Stock wide track front axles had a different locking hub assembly. The older narrow track had the beefy looking lock. I know my rear axle which is narrow track measures 45 inches across if you measure from the inside of the brake backing plates.

I am pretty sure CJ7s all switched in 82 but the CJ5 stayed with narrow track until there demise in 83.

The locking hubs on mine narrow towards the knob or switch, whatever you call it. They seem a lot smaller than what I remember, but I could be a little foggy on them since I had a full sized Chevy shortbed 4x4 after my previous Jeeps and I might be thinking about those hubs. I'll measure the axles when I get home tonight.

It's a wide trac! :D

Now that I have that figured out, I'll ask an old question again. What would be a good offset or back spacing for 15x10 wheels and 33x12.50s?

I don't want the tires to stick out any more than absolutely neccessary while still clearing the front springs.

That's the combo I have under my CJ7 . When I get home from work I can measure. Mine don't stick out at all. I'll add some pics as well.

That's the combo I have under my CJ7 . When I get home from work I can measure. Mine don't stick out at all. I'll add some pics as well.

12.5's with wide track and they don't stick out?

Awsome! I appreciate it.

Here ya go, 10" wheels 3.75" backspacing with 33 x 12.5, on wide traks
I have bestop flairs which are app. 3" wider than stock so I thru in a couple of pics with no flairs.

Here ya go, 10" wheels 3.75" backspacing with 33 x 12.5, on wide traks
I have bestop flairs which are app. 3" wider than stock so I thru in a couple of pics with no flairs.

Nice Jeep!
How much do they clear the springs by? Do you think they would still clear with the back spacing bringing them in another inch or so? I'm planning to use the new stock flares that came with my Jeep.

They have never hit the springs, not sure how much they miss them by. If I get a chance I'll check it out later.

I've got about 2 3/4 inches. front and back.

12.5's with wide track and they don't stick out?
Dang you caught me. Even though mines a 85 someone swapped in some narrow tracs for some reason. Theyd peek out on the Scrambler no doubt.

Awsome! I appreciate it.
Mine are 4 1/2 in. but like noted Narrow trac axles. Still grabbed a quick pic anyway.

85front.jpg

Dang you caught me. Even though mines a 85 someone swapped in some narrow tracs for some reason. Theyd peek out on the Scrambler no doubt.

Thanks for that , I was scratching my head thinking maybe it's not concidered sticking till the whole wheel is out there?:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom