Where can I find D44 axles?

Where can I find D44 axles?
The 1 ton chevys were installed by the po of my jeep looks like he kept jeep springs moved shackles and welded on perchs also has 1 ton tranny with smallblock chevy motor..as for j series we got my buddys Dana 44 ,s from a guy on craigs list for cheap there about same width as my chevys..theres some pics in gallery under my sig..

The 1 ton chevys were installed by the po of my jeep looks like he kept jeep springs moved shackles and welded on perchs also has 1 ton tranny with smallblock chevy motor..as for j series we got my buddys Dana 44 ,s from a guy on craigs list for cheap there about same width as my chevys..theres some pics in gallery under my sig..

Hmm, I'd rather just make my AMC20 single piece axles and weld the tubes. That sounds like more work than I can really do right now.

Your,re kind of wandering all over the place here. Some of the changes you ask about are impracticle and costly, not to mention way over the top for what you need. We call 20's weak because some of us have or do beat the he'll out of our jeeps, and we " find" things most people never do. The biggest issue with a 20 is the stupid 2 pc axles. Just rplace them and they will be plenty good for your needs,and will handle 33's with No poblems. If you still want a 44 then your best bet is to keep looking for wide track cj 44, or go to a narrow track axle. The 30 front is direct bolt in and the rear only needs to have new perches welded on. If I were you, I would slap in a one pc axle kit and be happy.

Your,re kind of wandering all over the place here. Some of the changes you ask about are impracticle and costly, not to mention way over the top for what you need. We call 20's weak because some of us have or do beat the he'll out of our jeeps, and we " find" things most people never do. The biggest issue with a 20 is the stupid 2 pc axles. Just rplace them and they will be plenty good for your needs,and will handle 33's with No poblems. If you still want a 44 then your best bet is to keep looking for wide track cj 44, or go to a narrow track axle. The 30 front is direct bolt in and the rear only needs to have new perches welded on. If I were you, I would slap in a one pc axle kit and be happy.

I apologize for wandering I just want to look at all of the options and learn more about different axles, I'm pretty green when it comes to jeeps

I apologize for wandering I just want to look at all of the options and learn more about different axles, I'm pretty green when it comes to jeeps

no problem it's easy to get caught up in the "biger is better"

Don't opologize! learning is a good thing, but try not to jump right in by making big. changes to your jeep that you don't need. Learn your jeep, drive it,use it ,then make useful and needed changes as you go.just about every old timer jeeper here learned the hard way about dumping loads of $$$ then finding out is was a complete waste. Take your time, save your money,then do the right mods once.

Don't opologize! learning is a good thing, but try not to jump right in by making big. changes to your jeep that you don't need. Learn your jeep, drive it,use it ,then make useful and needed changes as you go.just about every old timer jeeper here learned the hard way about dumping loads of $$$ then finding out is was a complete waste. Take your time, save your money,then do the right mods once.

I wish I knew the T-5 was a pos before I spent all kinds of money on it fixing it and it still doesn't work right

The problem with jeeps is we all don't do the samething with them.
There are people here who only dd theirs, some who do light forest roads,ect,ect all the way up to rock crawling and mud racing. We all have are own ideas of what will work for us but that might not be what someone else needs. Thats why some of use have had to change things along the way. But as they say live and learn.

The problem with jeeps is we all don't do the samething with them.
There are people here who only dd theirs, some who do light forest roads,ect,ect all the way up to rock crawling and mud racing. We all have are own ideas of what will work for us but that might not be what someone else needs. Thats why some of use have had to change things along the way. But as they say live and learn.

That's also a good thing so you can get a diverse array of knowledge from many different kinds of jeeps and decode what would be best for you. I primarily like rough trails with a little mud mixed in so I want a sturdy tranny and axles that can withstand the shock. I don't
need super swampers I am just as well off with ATs since I don't see huge amounts of mud. I think that gettin single piece axles, trussing it, and welding the tubes will make my jeep plenty strong for the enviroments I'll be taking it through.

I am a huge fan of what a lot of guys call light iron, and I live out in CA, what you call a rough trail we call a gnarly trail. It has ruts maybe some mud, a few rocks o pass over nothing really big, and off camber areas, just a real fun trail, ow take that trail and put in a few rock gardens with rocks the size of basket balls to a large hassack that you need either a lot of experience or a spotter to get through, and we are having fun now baby. Stream crossings are a plus also.
For a trail like that I run a D27 or a Dana 30 out front on 33s and a Dana 44 in the rear. I have buddies running Corp 20s on those trails all day long on 33s, ok so they are 1 piece and have a few welds here and there, but they take those trails all day long.
The expense on the light hardware, well each winter you go over it real good to see if any work is needed and handle it, daily issues to do is at either camp or getting home inspect the units for damage. You would do that to a set of Rockwell's.
You need to make a decision and a plan, that decision is based on knowledge gathered at a place like this thread. I am kinda proud you joined our forum to find out what to use. It shows we are becoming known for good tech. But here is the time to decide what to do.
I will advise you of one thing, Nothing is bullet proof, so let us make plan and go with it. If your choice to keep those axles is the one you are going with, then you are going to go with the lowest cost alternative, plus the one that requires you to learn the most about wheeling as you will become a lot better wheeler running them as you are forced to pick the correct line. Guys with bigger stuff take lines that are a lot more damage creating, and they break their stuff doing so, Because they can.
I have always said, a successful day wheeling means you are drinking a beer at camp handing tools to the guy working on his broken Jeep.
This is a mantra we all should have.
Beer good, Wrenches bad.

Don't change things because they look cool.
Don't change things because it was in a magazine.
Don't change things because some one you know just read a magazine.
Don't read 4x4 magazines.:shooter:

Did you build your Transmission or did you pay to have it done?:(

Beer good, wrenches bad. I may go get a new tattoo.:D

Don't change things because they look cool.
Don't change things because it was in a magazine.
Don't change things because some one you know just read a magazine.
Don't read 4x4 magazines.:shooter:

Did you build your Transmission or did you pay to have it done?:(

Beer good, wrenches bad. I may go get a new tattoo.:D

I agree with all of those statements. I hte seeing jeeps with "cool guy" bumpers and other shiny items. I have paid at least 4k into that :censored: Transmission . I hate the T-5 with a deep burning passion and I want to put a T-18 behind the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l when I get some more money after I change the two piece axles.

Do the research, the axles are not too difficult but there are some good brands and not so good. The Transmission is quite a job, more than a slam and jam for sure. Adapters, mounts, drive shafts and the thing weighs about three times what the one you have now does. You don't appreciate that until you are wrestling with it under the Jeep trying to find the pilot bushing hole and line up the spline on the input shaft.:eek:
Lots of people have bought the wrong thing and ended up with a very expencive, very heavy boat anchor. You need to know what you are looking for by sight.
Oh yea, as transmisions go, have you looked at a NP 435?? another ford 4 speed with some interesting strong points.:cool:

I agree with all of those statements. I hte seeing jeeps with "cool guy" bumpers and other shiny items. I have paid at least 4k into that :censored: Transmission . I hate the T-5 with a deep burning passion and I want to put a T-18 behind the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l when I get some more money after I change the two piece axles.

You know, that may be good idea, a CJ grill and lights, and the words Beer good, wrenches bad. I may do that.
It is on like like donkey kong
now we need an artist to here to design it

From a wiki source:
"The Amigo came standard with Isuzu’s 10 bolt rear axle, which in conjunction with its push button 4 wheel drive button, makes it a good SUV for slippery surfaces. For serious off road capability, Isuzu offered the Ironman Edition Amigo which came standard with a Dana 44 rear end."

But the Rodeo would probably be easier to get ahold of.

I sourced the Dana 44 's that are under the wifes YJeep from a 78' Scout 2.
They are a little wider than CJ wide track axles.

You know, that may be good idea, a CJ grill and lights, and the words Beer good, wrenches bad. I may do that.
It is on like like donkey kong
now we need an artist to here to design it

Sorry to Highjack but thats a great idea. I'd buy that t-shirt. :chug:

And just to stay on subject, before you buy anything think about the bolt pattern and how wide you want. It will make a difference on what you end up with.

well CJ, can we use the forum logo picture and make tshirts?

beer good
logo
wrenches bad

someone with artistic abilities run with this

Beer Good
jeepcjavatarblk.png

Wrenches Bad

or this, but the grill needs work

Beer Good
CJ-Grille-Cover-cropped2-we.jpg

Wrenches Bad

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom