Where do I start?

Where do I start?

Blackdog314

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 I6 Free!!!
I was lucky enough to inherit a 1974 CJ5 on my new property. It doesn't run but I turned the crank pulley so it's not seized at least. Have no info about it except that it has the AMC I6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and a three speed. Also I don't have the key so it will need a new ignition and gas cap. So other than a tuneup and changing all the fluids and flushing the gas tank what would be next? I am a complete newbie on carbs (most of my knowledge is in the toyota 22re) and jeeps in general. Thanks all!

welcome
if you get stuck on the key situation just PM me
i will help as much as i can

flushing the tank is a good idea, an even better one is dropping it, cleaning the tank and replacing the in tank screen/filter and blowing out the lines. Did you say you needed a gas cap?? I don't even want to think about what is in the bottom of your tank.:eek:

:ww:from the Republic of Texas.

you can either find a locksmith in your area ( around $20 )
drill the lock out ( possible shavings in t tank )
dent snatch the lock...... then turn

Welcome!

Nice score. You can pull the filler neck - 2 bolts and a hose clamp and drill away on that gas cap lock in your bench vise.

Ignition switch is a piece of cake to replace. Not that expensive either. Hold the chrome ring and push and twist the switch from the back side. Unplug and pop in the new one.

They didn't put them in the column until 76.

Lots a good features in the Intermediate years (72-75). Lots of advise can be found on this site.

Welcome!

Nice score. You can pull the filler neck - 2 bolts and a hose clamp and drill away on that gas cap lock in your bench vise.

Ignition switch is a piece of cake to replace. Not that expensive either. Hold the chrome ring and push and twist the switch from the back side. Unplug and pop in the new one.

They didn't put them in the column until 76.

Lots a good features in the Intermediate years (72-75). Lots of advise can be found on this site.

X2
the dash mounted are very easy
and the gas cap may have 3 tumblers so you wont have to drill too deep

74 is a great year. I had one myself.
So you have the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 (some you will find with AMC 232 i6 ). the three speed is a T-15 and the Transfer Case should be a Dana 20 .
Your rear should be a centered Dana 44 with 3.73 gears and your front should be a Dana 30 with 3.73 gears. Drum brakes on all four.
The 74 model should have a gas tank skid plate (much wanted for earlier models) and you should have the factory rollbar (some claim this to be optional but it wasnt on the 74+)!
They are good little jeeps. 72-75 is refered to as "intermediate".
Its the first re-design after AMC took over. They lengthened the nose to get the I6 and V8 under the hood. Many parts from the earlier CJ5 's will interchange!
Good luch with it!

Dude thats awesome!! Wish my house came with a Jeep.

All I got was a cookie cutter POS, an attic full of empty beer cans, and a foundation thats in 10 pieces now. hahahahhahaha

Your jeep looks semi rust free...congrats!!

Congrats on the awesome find...!!!

DONT USE A TORCH TO GET THAT CAP OFF..!! EDIT... No matter how good of an idea it might seem to be.

Just thought I'd throw that in

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom