Where is the vent?

Where is the vent?

Rollie

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5, Basically stock except for electronic ignition.
First of all, let me start by saying that even though it sounds sometimes like I am clueless, I do have some mechanical abilities. I'm a licensed airplane mechanic. But as far as CJ5s, I guess you could say that I am clueless. I bought this old CJ5 and drove it home last weekend. First of all it has almost no rust. Looking at it closer, I'm pretty sure the tub has been replaced along the way. The vent in front of the windshield is missing. I'm guessing that is where the fresh air comes in, and it could be the reason that it felt like the heater was on during my eight hour drive home at 45 mph. So my question is what to do now? I'm assuming that if there was a vent, there would have to be some sort of airbox under it, and I'm also assuming that there is some sort of way it drains rainwater out of there. Does anyone know where there is a diagram or picture, or description of that whole system so that I can see what I might need to do in order to get it working? Where could I get parts for it? Do I even need to get it working? If the body was replaced, why wasn't there a vent in the new body? Thanks.

Rollie

My guess would be in a repair manual, they are made by a few different outfits, then there is the factory service manual. The fsm would probably be your best bet, possibly someone reading this post could send you a download. My heater went into the trash years ago, after all it is a Jeep.

The "missing" air vent is where fresh air comes into the cab from the outside. My CJ7 has a little box under the dash, just to the right of the steering column. It feeds fresh air to the driver. There is also (I think) a vent for the passenger side as well. The problem is that the vent is prone to leaking, and some owners close off the vent. It is also possible, but I don't know as a fact, that some after market cowls may not have that vent. I know that mine provides a water fall on my right foot after a hard rain. If I could find where the drain is or should be, I would be very happy. :)

Hey Rollie! Just wanted to say Hi, from a fellow flatlander! I only live about an hour north of you... welcome!

First of all, let me start by saying that even though it sounds sometimes like I am clueless, I do have some mechanical abilities. I'm a licensed airplane mechanic. But as far as CJ5s, I guess you could say that I am clueless. I bought this old CJ5 and drove it home last weekend. First of all it has almost no rust. Looking at it closer, I'm pretty sure the tub has been replaced along the way. The vent in front of the windshield is missing. I'm guessing that is where the fresh air comes in, and it could be the reason that it felt like the heater was on during my eight hour drive home at 45 mph. So my question is what to do now? I'm assuming that if there was a vent, there would have to be some sort of airbox under it, and I'm also assuming that there is some sort of way it drains rainwater out of there. Does anyone know where there is a diagram or picture, or description of that whole system so that I can see what I might need to do in order to get it working? Where could I get parts for it? Do I even need to get it working? If the body was replaced, why wasn't there a vent in the new body? Thanks.

Rollie

:)The air vent should be in the cowl............normally there is a grill with a large box built into the body & under it and in that box there is normally a 3/4" sized hose that goes from it under your battery box to the ground to drain said air box when it fills up with water. Problem is leaves and other debris get in there and plugs the drain up and when you open the mechanical vent up from the inside you get wet.............poor design.

I am assuming that you have no hole now in your cowl is that correct?
If so then I would agree that probably is an after market tub.............what is not being shown in that diagram is the plastic tube that feeds cold air to the heater from the cold air inlet...........it goes on top of that rounded portion in front of the passenger side.
Your not going to be able to find a replacement air box unless you go to the Jeep salvage yards............taking one out may not be easy and perhaps the best action would be to cut the complete cowl out and get a good metal / body man to put it in. While you there grab the top plastic tube that connects your heater to it............If you can find a running unmolested CJ the same year as yours and take a look at the vent and the parts...........it will become much clearer what your missing.
:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom