Will aftermarket yj bumpers work on cj7

Will aftermarket yj bumpers work on cj7

BenelliBoy75

Jeeper
Thanks
I'm rebuilding my 86 CJ7 and want to put an aftermarket swing bumper on the rear, however there are not as many options to choose from as for the yj's. My question is, will an after market yj bumper mount to a CJ7 , are the bolt holes diff, etc. what problems might i run into, etc. If there is a problem with it working is there a simple solution to match the bumper up. This same question goes for the front bumper as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is my first jeep build so want to go all out on it and make it good..

i built my front and rear bumper and im building a swing out tire carrier

Well YJ frames are wider than a CJ so you're stuck right there however With some simple fabrication I'm sure you can modify them to fit just about anything.

Well YJ frames are wider than a CJ so you're stuck right there however With some simple fabrication I'm sure you can modify them to fit just about anything.
Own a welder? all that is needed is to move the mounting points outward.

Has anyone done this? I also have found that the aftermarket does not support the cj as well as the others particularly with rear bumpers. I would like to know how much modification is needed.

Has anyone done this? I also have found that the aftermarket does not support the cj as well as the others particularly with rear bumpers. I would like to know how much modification is needed.

In my opinion front and rear bumpers are way over priced.. IF you can weld build them your self or buy em used this way you can set them up as you like.

For modifying a YJ bumper to CJ you need to cut off the YJ mounting tabs.. hopefully they do not go all the way through the bumper. Then do some good measuring and reweld them in the proper place for a CJ bumper. For best results find some 1/2 tabs that are long enough to go through the bumper and be used as a anchor points in front and tie in to the frame in back. The bumper would be alot stronger that way and keep from ripping off the bumper when being snatched out.

jeep tubes . com has some good fab parts. Id still recommend having one built for you. once you by and ship a yj bumper then pay to have the stock mounts cut off then pay again to have the new mounts rewelded your into to them for some change.

What type of bumper you looking for

Thanx for the info... however I have never welded before. Something that I'm sure will change now that I'm a Jeep owner. I was just wondering how much narrower the CJ frames are. Could you possibly just add a custom made spacer on each side?

I've been wanting to get a pre-runner style front bumper for my '80 CJ. Of course no one makes one. The problem I've found when trying to come up with bolt on spacers brackets is that it either tends to move the bumper out or you end up with a perpendicular dog leg that will not support an impact or strong pull. I'm not a welder or engineer but I work with some and am constantly perstering them for info and advice. I also sketch alot to figure out if ideas will work and what they would look like if fabricated. Hope this gives you some help.

The other issue with using a YJ rear bumper/tire carrier is that the bolt pattern would be off for the spare. Right?

Might want to check to see if there are any local Jeep clubs. You may find someone that way who would be willing to help you out on the welding part.

Myself, my rear bumper has made the rounds in our club. It started out originally on a YJ, then was sold to a member who ran it on a TJ. Now, with a movement of the mounting brackets, it is on my CJ7 . I have pulled out a few stuck vehicles, and been hooked up to another rig while winching an extremely stuck rig, so I know the welds are good.

So my answer, would be yes, it can work, just have to modify it a bit, including as doug4bama pointed out, the bolt pattern on the tire mount.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom