Will an 87 YJ Radiator fit a CJ7?

Will an 87 YJ Radiator fit a CJ7?

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
Will a radiator out of an 87 Wrangler fit in a 76-86 CJ7 , or are the mounting brackets different for the rectangular headlight grill?

it can be done, but the mounting tabs need to be modified.
Thanks! Do they just need new holes drilled, or would I have to cut or fabricate anything?

A little minor fabrication is all thats needed. You simply need to make new mounting tabs. I'm running a TJ radiator in my CJ, took about 5 minutes to retro fit it. The YJ radiator is pretty close to that.

I found a CJ7 radiator that I'm picking up this afternoon so I won't have to worry about it.

Thanks for all the info anyway! :)

A little minor fabrication is all thats needed. You simply need to make new mounting tabs. I'm running a TJ radiator in my CJ, took about 5 minutes to retro fit it. The YJ radiator is pretty close to that.
Oh I am always looking for a new interesting retrofit.... What benefits do you see over the cj radiator by running that tj one

xj287,
how much better is that tj rad working for you over a stock cj one?

xj287,
how much better is that tj rad working for you over a stock cj one?

Geeze I hope he can't tell the difference between radiators? It's a radiator. Either it keeps the engine temp down and holds water or it doesn't. The whole reason I started this thread was to see if a YJ radiator would fit a CJ since I had found a good deal on one and the old radiator I had was junk. I've since purchased a good CJ radiator. :)

Geeze I hope he can't tell the difference between radiators? It's a radiator. Either it keeps the engine temp down and holds water or it doesn't. The whole reason I started this thread was to see if a YJ radiator would fit a CJ since I had found a good deal on one and the old radiator I had was junk. I've since purchased a good CJ radiator. :)

Well if the radiator didn't perform better(IE keep the engine cooler with less effort) than the cj radiator then I would assume there wouldn't be any use in finding a Wrangler radiator that would cost more and require fabricating.

Well if the radiator didn't perform better(IE keep the engine cooler with less effort) than the cj radiator then I would assume there wouldn't be any use in finding a Wrangler radiator that would cost more and require fabricating.

That's the point. I had located a cheap deal on a nearly new YJ radiator and I needed a new radiator for my CJ. I wasn't thinking a YJ radiator would be an upgrade or cool any better than a Cj radiator. I just hadn't run across a good deal on a CJ radiator yet, a YJ radiator was available, and I wanted to get that part of my project out of the way. Like I said before. After I started this thread, I found a good CJ radiator on the local KC Jeep Club forum. It's all good now. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom