Wiring a winch

Wiring a winch

Rollie

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5, Basically stock except for electronic ignition.
I want to install a winch on my 75 CJ5 . I am also thinking about putting another battery, probably a deep cycle battery, in there to run the winch off of so that I don't run the cranking battery down. Is this a good idea? Is it overkill? If I do put another battery in there how do I charge them both and how do I isolate them so that they both don't discharge? Do I need some sort of special alternator to charge both batteries? I want to keep it simple. Actually the battery that is in there now has been relocated for some reason and the original battery tray is not there. So I would install a new tray in the original location and use the relocated tray for the auxiliary battery. Thanks.

Rollie

Usually, a winch is the last thing on the upgrade list. Tires, gears, and lockers can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go. I you do need one, I would suggest at least an 8000 lb. and in most cases one large battery will be fine, just keep your eye on the voltmeter, and carry jumper cables and all the winch accessories. Thats keeping it simple.

I use my winch once or twice a year. Last time was pulling shrubs out of the front yard. I have a single battery. If your battery is on its last legs, a winch will kill it faster.

One of these days, I want to see someone put a wench on their Jeep.:mad:

I had a wench on my Jeep a couple of times , when I was younger.:D

My Warn is the coolest hood ornament I could possibly have. and I could count the number of times I have needed it on fingers and a few toes. I thought it was worth the cost every one of those times. One good high crank amp battery is good, deep cycles, I am told, by people that are paid to know, are not great at dealing with high current loads. Do keep it simple and if you get winch get a good one, if you get a wench, get a bad one.:D

Words to live by IO, words to live by.....

You really should start selling t-shirts BTW!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Thanks guys. It sounds like I will just buy a new battery at the same time I buy the winch and that will work.

I use my winch quite abit both on myself and others,
sometime the jeep is running, sometimes not. I run a single
yellow top without any problems. It's even ben used to weld
with and the jeep always starts back up.
(hope I didn't just jinx myself)

I had a wench on my Jeep a couple of times , when I was younger.:D

. One good high crank amp battery is good, deep cycles, I am told, by people that are paid to know, are not .:D

:agree: my friend that has managed a battery shop for many years gave me the same advice. Great info from the guys here on the cj forum.

mike:)

I use my winch quite abit both on myself and others,
sometime the jeep is running, sometimes not. I run a single
yellow top without any problems. It's even ben used to weld
with and the jeep always starts back up.
(hope I didn't just jinx myself)
I don't know how much I'll use one, but I would imagine that I will use it more if I have one than I would if I didn't. Anyway, whether I will ever need one is probably not important. If "need" motivated me I wouldn't have dragged the old Jeep home in the first place. Thanks for the advise. My battery is pretty old, so I think that a new one with plenty of cranking amps will be part of the upgrade. It does have a fairly new alternator, so that is good.

Last edited:
I want to install a winch on my 75 CJ5 . I am also thinking about putting another battery, probably a deep cycle battery, in there to run the winch off of so that I don't run the cranking battery down. Is this a good idea? Is it overkill? If I do put another battery in there how do I charge them both and how do I isolate them so that they both don't discharge? Do I need some sort of special alternator to charge both batteries? I want to keep it simple. Actually the battery that is in there now has been relocated for some reason and the original battery tray is not there. So I would install a new tray in the original location and use the relocated tray for the auxiliary battery. Thanks.

Rollie

:)A Winch is what everyone else on the trail hopes "YOU" have......As IO said it's a great Hood Ornament until you need it!
If you do a lot of Hunting and your in the backwoods by yourself all the time.... that is the most valueable piece of equipment you can own. If your Jeep gets used more to pick up groceries.......save your money!

Always use welding cable type leads that are directly wired to your battery via relays that switch the power on......They do require a lot of amperage but worth every bit!

:D:D:D:D

go for it.. dual battery for all your accessories gives you your main battery for starting and normal lighting.. this was the basic wiring I used on my jeeps and my boats.. as you see, "fish finder".. well, adjust that for your accessories.. main thing is the rectifiers for the isolation circuit.. a nice bonus is the switch, bat 1, bat 2, off, both..

Go over to the cj build section and read the sticky from TeamRush Expedition vs off-road. It goes into great detail on wiring indual batteries

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom