X-haust

X-haust

CJim7

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7 - 430hp 401 on propane - T18a/D300 twinsticked, Superior axles, Lockers, full boatsides, Warn 8274, OBA, 36" TSL's.
So Im down at the shop the other day and we are trying to figure out how to re-route 'Scrambled's exhaust. We are trying to get this thing ready for TTC 2012. (this rig won hands down in 2005)
we rebuilt the linkage system and have been kicking around the idea of "flattening" a section of exhaust for clearance reasons. This Jeep runs a 502 Chevy with a single exhaust.
images

TbcpO76hTsdolZ_1SDIgFMJ-j3cyAzoZYr5UGJb_yCnvFm3L2C.jpg

images

So Jeff at the shop throws me a curve ball: "What if we seal up the frame rail and run the exhaust from the headers to the collector, and using a flex-pipe, route it to the frame rail. Open up the rear of the frame rail for the exhaust to exit."
I thought, well, the sealing up process would have to be perfect (you've all seen how swiss-cheesed a frame is) and the inside would need to be able to withstand moisture. Then the question remains how would the heat affect it.

I gotta say, sitting around the shop brings up some interesting ideas sometimes...:D

OK, I think you could box that section of the frame you cut, but as for the rest your guess is as good as mine.

So.... I am just guessing (as usual:D) but wonder if there would be an issue of flexibility form the torque of the engine that would need to be addressed?

Also, you probably wouldn't know if you like how it sounds until its done, it could echo or rattle?

Last, do you think bushings might melt?

Just my .02. I'm with ya, just trying to think it through:).

PS Don't forget to let us know how he does.

OK, I think you could box that section of the frame you cut, but as for the rest your guess is as good as mine.
Everything has been boxed. There is a lot of custom work done to the back section and the coil overs are actually mounted to the cage. Finding a suitable exit point at the frame will be the challenge.

So.... I am just guessing (as usual:D) but wonder if there would be an issue of flexibility form the torque of the engine that would need to be addressed?
That was my very first question when this came up. Jeff's answer was simple: Flex pipe.

Also, you probably wouldn't know if you like how it sounds until its done, it could echo or rattle?
I personally dont think it would sound very good straight out of the frame...still working that out in my head.

Last, do you think bushings might melt?
There really isnt anything there...the body mounts are set off of the frame in typical CJ fashion. I think the control arm hiems would heat up...that could be an issue..
I have my doubts on the feasibility of all this...but it brought up an interesting twist and I thought I would post it as a semi-interesting topic. We'll probably just rebuild the exhaust and relocate it for better clearance

Just my .02. I'm with ya, just trying to think it through:).

PS Don't forget to let us know how he does.
Jerry Duffy is probably one of the best offroad drivers I have ever had the privilege to wheel with. His attention to detail is phenomenal and he knows his rigs and their potential. I have no doubt he will place very well this year.

It would be cool if you could work out. Different is good :D. I am sure there has to be a way.

If not you mentioned single exhaust, not sure how thick that would have to be on the big engine, but maybe if it was dual you could get away with a smaller diameter to help with fitment?

Or go stacks out of the hood!:cool:

Aren't exhaust gases corrosive?

I haven't heard of exhaust but it's not the craziest idea I've seen. I've seen the frame rails in both bikes and autos used for engine coolant. Both factory (79 YZ125) and mods.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom