XJ axels to CJ7

XJ axels to CJ7

essexmo

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
my rides 1983 CJ7 1996 chevy cavilier 1987 jeep cherokee 1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 1961 series 1 E type Jaguar convertable 1960 land rover
Ive just bought an old 81 CJ7 thats got busted axels and 39 inch tires ??Im wondering if the axels or complete front driveshaft assembly would fit on the CJ from my 87 cherokee doner vehicle there is vacum going to the front axle but im thinking of putting the complete drivetrain in the CJ7 it would be great if the frames were the same but that would be too easy lol any suggestions or advise would be apreciated as im just in the learning process about these jeeps im still trying to figure out why the tubs werent made out of aluminum like our land rovers were ??? Maybe ill make a exact copy of the tub out of aluminum! That will fix the rust problem lol

I can't remember if the pumpkin is on the right side or not.
If it's on the pass. side you could use it but it's still a Dana 30 only it should be a HP witch would be a LITTLE stronger. Still not enough for 39" tires though.

thanks old dog i spent the day digging it out of the snow i still need to move it to my house i think ill put smaller tyres on it though as those 39s are bald i never thought about the pumpkin location though its on the drivers side of the cherokee hmm rotate it 180 degrees lol nah ill need hp axels or stronger i think :confused:

If you could find an old wagoneer you could snag the Dana 44 out of it.

I better make myself clear, the only direct bolt in will be another cj Dana 30 .
The wagoneer or scout Dana 44 will both fit but you will need to modify either one some.

I blame the chinese or is it the government ,raising the price of beer or the steel companies raising the price of steel anyhow lots of the older jeeps have vanished here in NB and been turned into cheap chinese tin tywan cars ect and toyota throttle cables :D So i may be verturing to the states for parts soon lol

We have these creatures in Texas called June bugs, for obvious reasons, that will dent the :dung: out of an aluminum body, just saying.
Why don't we start by telling us just what "broke" means. Axle shaft, R&P, bearings?? Putting those XJ axles in the CJ will not be plug and play, It may very well be easier and cheaper to repair the ones you have. Best way to find out is to put it on stands and pull the covers. What the hell, if your going to chance them out you will have to get to that point anyway.
What drive train is in the CJ?? is it worth keeping?

Ive just bought an old 81 CJ7 thats got busted axels and 39 inch tires ??Im wondering if the axels or complete front driveshaft assembly would fit on the CJ from my 87 cherokee doner vehicle there is vacum going to the front axle but im thinking of putting the complete drivetrain in the CJ7 it would be great if the frames were the same but that would be too easy lol any suggestions or advise would be apreciated as im just in the learning process about these jeeps im still trying to figure out why the tubs werent made out of aluminum like our land rovers were ??? Maybe ill make a exact copy of the tub out of aluminum! That will fix the rust problem lol

We have these creatures in Texas called June bugs, for obvious reasons, that will dent the :dung: out of an aluminum body, just saying.
Why don't we start by telling us just what "broke" means. Axle shaft, R&P, bearings?? Putting those XJ axles in the CJ will not be plug and play, It may very well be easier and cheaper to repair the ones you have. Best way to find out is to put it on stands and pull the covers. What the hell, if your going to chance them out you will have to get to that point anyway.
What drive train is in the CJ?? is it worth keeping?
i wonder what those bugs would do to a new vehicle lol we have golf ball size hailstones they work wonders too lol but 1/8 thick alloy is tougher than the metal and shrinks easier if it does dent and a lot of it is free disguised as stop signs ect and lying in ditches here in NB lol ill get this heap on the jackstands as soon as its home and find out whats broken

This whole jeep could be in the PO thread i think theres more bodyfiller than metal on it and lots of free SOS pads ???

Iis it still legal to shoot wives in Texas ??? how about exwives inquiring minds need to know :D

Last edited:
i wonder what those bugs would do to a new vehicle lol we have golf ball size hailstones they work wonders too lol but 1/8 thick alloy is tougher than the metal and shrinks easier if it does dent ill get this heap on the jackstands as soon as its home and find out whats broken

This whole jeep could be in the PO thread i think theres more bodyfiller than metal on it and lots of free SOS pads ???

Iis it still legal to shoot wives in Texas ??? how about exwives inquiring minds need to know :D
no sorry, you can't shoot your ex wife and there is a bounty on Coyotes. Somebody's priorities are all wrong.

no sorry, you can't shoot your ex wife and there is a bounty on Coyotes. Somebody's priorities are all wrong.
well then a coyote costume should be a top seller in Texas at holloween :D

I guess you could try the "your Honer, he needed killing" defense, It has worked before!:cool:

xj's use a drivers side front pumkin, and the axle disco on '80 XJ's SUCK! a posi lock can fix that in a hurry though.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom