Build Thread 1960 CJ5...come in out of the cold

Build Thread 1960 CJ5...come in out of the cold

1960CJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1960 Jeep CJ5
It always seems like I'm doing a project when I don't have the right place do it. I have been looking for something to do to fill my time now that I'm home off the road working. Quite a few of my friends have classic cars that I've been working in the garage with them for quite sometime.

My decision for project was made once I saw her, here are a few pictures from the ad off the Internet.

8d47d80b.png
ccd5ca3e.png

Here's a picture of the jeep leaving the sellers house...

02085c05.png

And finally the last picture I'll leave you with her being delivered today...

5a666099.png

More to come ....

I like it, keep us in the loop. :drool:

Well here goes my first shot at this...

Call the decision was made, (wife's blessing) we are going to try to get the jeep on the road for the summer and restore in the winter. So now it's time to do what jeep owners do best...throw it back together.

Step 1....new fuel pump

6.jpg

7.jpg

Napa over night .

Ran like phoo.. No spark in cylinder closeist to the firewall.

DSCN4793.mp4

Cleaned up the cap and rotor....new plugs....and whala...

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/jonbennett/1960 CJ-- in out of the cold/DSCN4795.mp4

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/jonbennett/1960 CJ-- in out of the cold/DSCN4793.mp4

8.jpg
9.jpg
Carb was caked....torn down and cleaned in an out....
She purrs now....

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/jonbennett/1960 CJ-- in out of the cold/DSCN4803.mp4

Gotta love that!

Nice Jeep!

lol, I love the dead stuff in the carb, thats a good looking jeep:chug:

Now that she’s running and I took her for a spin down the lane way and back its time to figure out the brakes.... The lines all look good but the pedals don't seem right and the master cylinder is in two pieces.

When I push the clutch in the brake pedal goes in....is that right.

I have labeled a pic for you guys to reference.

A--- Brake Arm (Brake Pedal Connects to this)
B--- Clutch Linkage
C--- Clutch Arm (Clutch Pedal Goes into this)
D--- Master Cylinder Linkage
DSCN5172-1.png

I hope I got this right.

Anyhow.... Correct me if I am wrong.... I am looking to understand how this works, should they move independently?

I have the service manual but its not very in depth about the pedals.
Thanks in advance…..
Leo

Here is a pic of the master cylinder
DSCN5167.png
DSCN5169.png
DSCN5168.png

Here is the arm that the clutch and brake pedal swivel on.
DSCN5162.png

No they should work independly I have never worked on one that old but I know that is not right I'm sure someone will chime in on what to look for to fix this.

Now that she’s running and I took her for a spin down the lane way and back its time to figure out the brakes.... The lines all look good but the pedals don't seem right and the master cylinder is in two pieces.

I have labeled a pic for you guys to reference.

A--- Brake Arm (Brake Pedal Connects to this)
B--- Clutch Linkage
C--- Clutch Arm (Clutch Pedal Goes into this)
D--- Master Cylinder Linkage
DSCN5172-1.png

I hope I got this right.

Anyhow.... Correct me if I am wrong.... I am looking to understand how this works, should they move independently?

I have the service manual but its not very in depth about the pedals.
Thanks in advance…..
Leo

:)Both pedals come off the same fulcrum point / shaft, when there are correct and lubed they work independent of each other............need to clean and free them up..........to much rust and grime.
:D:D:D:D

You sir are correct

Okay so tonight after work I took it apart and cleaned it up on the wire wheel.
A friend at work told me to remember to keep it simple.
And simple it is.

124.jpg

125.jpg

Though this was cool

0e691ea9.png

Re: You sir are correct

Okay so tonight after work I took it apart and cleaned it up on the wire wheel.
A friend at work told me to remember to keep it simple.
And simple it is.

124.jpg

125.jpg

Though this was cool

:)So hopefully you have got it now cleaned up enough so they both work independent of each other........ the clutch side tube and lever are one piece and the brake pedal floats out on the end of that shaft..........
On the old Master Cylinder.......you can with a little work install a newer dual reservoir safety Master Cylinder.....the brake lines would have to be changed...........what you have now is a system that if you brake a line anywhere "All" your brakes are gone. The newer dual system allows the system to be split front & back therefore keeping some level of braking should a line be broken at either end............
:D:D:D:D

How hard is it to find this part?

It's the piece where the brake line screws into the master clyinder.
Made of brass.

152.jpg

08e076215159064750cf93c9405e8532.png

She got a little strippered

Project took a turn....

694276ec585fc91789b62ae0ffa567ac.png

ef08c5d2fdb2c5f012fff469e9d51caa.png

aaaeb5045a39967f47b3b659ab87445d.png

After talking with some friends the decision was made that the restoration is going to start now.... Let the fun begin!:D

I don't want to hi-jack my own thread, but I did re-do a smaller scale project this summer.
For some reason I feel bogged down on the jeep. I know what needs to be done, but it seems like there is so much to do.
Snooping and sharing other members projects(0822) make me want to get going on it. It would be nice to have the rolling chassis done for spring. If I'm not going to do it, I need to get rid of it, I need the space.

Here area a few pics of the mini project.

41e4954258a83102ad6670e640543beb.png

DSCN9360.png
IMG_2733-1.png

I bought my de-greaser today, and penetrating spray to take the rest of the frame apart.
I have really been looking at the sand blaster attachment for my power washer and cleaning the frame up on my own.
Anyhow I am planing to finish the tear down this weekend. I will try to get some pics.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom