acowherd

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dmax Tow Rig
2010 Camaro 760 Rwhp...
2008 JK Rubi Wife's Rig.....
1963?? Cj5 project Rig
I am in the beginning stages with this jeep. I have attached a few pics of how she sits now. Over the next few weeks, she will be getting torn down, and inspected. I havent decided yet on the direction yet. Its not going back stock, that much I know. Enjoy the pics...

Re: 1968 CJ5

I need the Title of this thread edited to 1963 CJ5 .

I miss read the title.

This color still dosn't show up in the color pallet for 1963. This has to be the original color too, because who would paint it PINK??

NJbCagkG0ITPFtv48wDTY9RjbDj8ZhB2r9jwVkPpORg
I DROVE the Cj to the lift. So I have a running, and driving JEEP!!

019.JPG

Looks like the gas tank has a small leak

010.JPG

Leaked a lot of Transmission fluid over the years too, and has a lot of surface rust underneath!!

004.JPG

More to follow...:chug:

019.JPG

Here is the Vin Tag..

009.JPG

Off with the old WOOD top!!

014.JPG

Out with the seats, and and lets have a look at that gas tank.

018.JPG

Look at those old bottle rockets that were under the gas tank!! No wonder the tank has rusted pinholes in it!

019.JPG

Few pics of rust that's going to need fixed!
021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

025.JPG

Look at this old paper work I found!
015.JPG

Next up, is to remove the gauges and other dash components. Then remove front clip, and the tub. Gonna send them off for soda blasting. While they are gone, Ill be cleaning and painting the frame, suspension components, and rebuilding the drivetrain.:chug:

Overall it looks to be in pretty good shape. And bottle rockets under the gas tank :eek: is that to keep you warm when plowing on those cold days :D

Here is the Vin Tag..

Out with the seats, and and lets have a look at that gas tank.

Look at those old bottle rockets that were under the gas tank!! No wonder the tank has rusted pinholes in it!

Few pics of rust that's going to need fixed!
Look at this old paper work I found!

Next up, is to remove the gauges and other dash components. Then remove front clip, and the tub. Gonna send them off for soda blasting. While they are gone, Ill be cleaning and painting the frame, suspension components, and rebuilding the drivetrain.:chug:

:)Nice little 1963............ I'm also a big fan of the old CJ Iron.............great to see your going to make that into a survivor!
A good reference book is by Moses Ludel titled Jeep CJ Rebuilders Manual.
:D:D:D:D

That gas tank looks like mine did and I had live ammo under mine.

That gap in the back is a bad design, anyone mod something fix that?

Not a ton of progress today..

Before removal..
027.JPG

Hitch removed and tire carrier...
032.JPG

Why would they put WOOD behind there??
030.JPG

This Rusted out part is the worst panel that need fixed.

But why the WOOD?
033.JPG

I removed it from behind the fender. It was in the channel support thing.
I bet it would have never rusted, if that wood was not trapping all that moisture all these years!

Started removing the dash, but haven't made PIC worthy progress yet. Going to take a small time out from the project...Just don't want to get burnt out.:chug:

Just take your time and think of what you want to put back as your removing the old.

Overall it looks to be in pretty good shape. And bottle rockets under the gas tank :eek: is that to keep you warm when plowing on those cold days :D

Thats one way to light a fire under ones behind!!

It's in good original shape I was hoping you would consider keeping it stock or sell it to someone who will.

However, it's your Jeep and your option to do as you please.

1963 Jeep CJ Tuxedo Park Mark III - YouTube

I will consider it, but I am low budget building this jeep. A stock Restoration would be out of my price range, and I personally wouldn't do it justice.

I couldn't sell this Jeep. My Dad bought it new, and I couldn't part with it.

I am thinking mostly stock appearing, just swap in a bigger motor, roll cage, and a few suspension upgrades.

That gas tank looks like mine did and I had live ammo under mine.

That gap in the back is a bad design, anyone mod something fix that?

When I was removing it, I was thinking of that. Especially as gas was running all over!!

Someone should make a cover of some sort.

Ill be going with a poly gas tank..( I think) Or I might relocate it under the "bed" where the muffler is and relocate that too!

:chug:

Why would they put WOOD behind there??
030.JPG
Doesn't make sense does it, the factory installed wood in the hat channels for added strength. It wasn't a good idea being wood held moisture and rotted out the hat channels.

Guess it was a good idea at the time??? They didn't figure someone would be working on/ rebuilding them 25/30 years down the road.

:)I couldn't sell this Jeep. My Dad bought it new, and I couldn't part with it.

:)Now I like that, there are several of us on here with 1 owner Jeeps that were bought new.

My 1965 CJ I also bought new and like yours its now getting a face lift as we speak................I love that old Warranty paper I need to look for mine.

:)Now I like that, there are several of us on here with 1 owner Jeeps that were bought new.

My 1965 CJ I also bought new and like yours its now getting a face lift as we speak................I love that old Warranty paper I need to look for mine.

I have always wanted to fix it up. He might not be so happy about it, that it wont be going back STOCK!! But heck 2 model A fords, JD model B, and JD Model G...All restored stock, I am modifying this one.

Anyways...I have the Dash unbolted, But now comes the hard part of unhooking and labeling everything. I posted a help thread...If anyone has any tips or tricks, head on over there and post them. :chug:

I could see why he would be ticked that you since he took such good care of it. ;) For the work you are going to have to do, you should do it like you want. Best of luck. I would frame the little piece of wood and give it to him so he has a "piece" in original condition. :D

I could see why he would be ticked that you since he took such good care of it. ;) For the work you are going to have to do, you should do it like you want. Best of luck. I would frame the little piece of wood and give it to him so he has a "piece" in original condition. :D

Yes, he hates when people chop up 32 roadsters!! I promised him I would never do that!! My Father passed away in 2005, so I have some time untill I have reap the repercussions of modifying his jeep :).

Granted restored to stock is neat but a restomod gives you the best of both worlds

Wood is in the channels so they are not crushed when the bolts are tightened. I used Trex type material when I redid my '64.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom