Build Thread 1963 cj5

Build Thread 1963 cj5
:drool: Very nice CJ please don't hack it apart thats to nice to cut it up. But it's yours great pictures.

I have made some real good progress in the past few days. I also cant get my first account back up and running, so I made a new one.

I removed the windshield and dash. I removed the choke and throttle cables...Without destroying the knobs. I just disconnected them from where they went, and pulled them out cable and all. Thats them laying on the hood.

167.jpg

Next remove the front clip and disconnect all wiring. I cant wait to get this TUB off the frame...Slow and Steady...I know:chug:

179.jpg

Now we are getting there. Need to get that steering wheel off.

005.jpg

Pedals removed.

004.jpg

Got mostly everything off the front. Still need unhook the ignition side of the wiring. All the lighting wiring has been unhooked and marked. If anyone would like pics of the wiring for reference I can post them.

Now that steering wheel is proving to be a challenge...My puller wont work on it, so I need to do some thinking on how to get it off.

Once I unhook the ignition wires, I can pull the wiring harness out with the speedometer gauge and ignition still hooked up. Once that's out the tub should be ready for removal.:chug:

:drool: Very nice CJ please don't hack it apart thats to nice to cut it up. But it's yours great pictures.

Thanks. Hack it up is subjective. I think it needs a roll cage, upgrade the suspension, and new power plant.

Any suggestion on the above would be greatly appreciated.

I was taking a break from pulling on the steering wheel, and decided I would pull off the cover. Oh my what a gooey mess. It's like molasses, but not as tasty!

20121105_125833.jpg

Anyways. I succeed at removing the tub!! The frame looks so small.

20121105_171407.jpg

I need to clean all that undercoating off the bottom now.

20121105_171136.jpg

Look at that pile of parts! I hope I can get this thing back together!!

20121105_171203.jpg

Things are coming along nicely. Now for some cleaning. I want to change out the motor, but I don't know what to go with. I am thinking a SBC 350 or something close to that. If I go with SBC I assume I will need to upgrade the Transmission (GM Turbo 400 ?) and the rest of the drive-train as well. I will gladly take some advice on this.:chug:

If you go with a SBC and turbo400 I don't think you will have any room for a driveshaft, you have to remember you have a really short wheelbase. A 3.8 or 4.3 v6 with a smaller Transmission would be plenty for something that small. IMO

I think the pic of all the pieces would have looked better if you had been in it in all twisted up like the jeep exploded. :D

I think the pic of all the pieces would have looked better if you had been in it in all twisted up like the jeep exploded. :D
:laugh:

If you go with a SBC and turbo400 I don't think you will have any room for a driveshaft, you have to remember you have a really short wheelbase. A 3.8 or 4.3 v6 with a smaller Transmission would be plenty for something that small. IMO

I am just not that familiar with much else. I like HP and TQ!

Is there a good place to research my options? I would love to stuff a v8 in it. I dont need the GM Turbo 400 , any Transmission that will hold up would be fine. Can the axles take that kind of power, or do the guts need upgraded?

If I was twisted up in the parts, there would be no pics!! It looks like a jeep exploded in the shop, along with my tools. I have 55 Gallons of METHANOL in my shop..I try to keep the explosions small!!

I am just not that familiar with much else. I like HP and TQ!

Is there a good place to research my options? I would love to stuff a v8 in it. I dont need the GM Turbo 400 , any Transmission that will hold up would be fine. Can the axles take that kind of power, or do the guts need upgraded?
You need to remember that your Jeep came out of the factory with maybe 75hp and it was built to handle that so when you put a sbc in it putting out say 300hp you are going to need to upgrade everything inorder to handle that. I hope you have good fab skills and a big wallet. :popcorn:

You need to remember that your Jeep came out of the factory with maybe 75hp and it was built to handle that so when you put a sbc in it putting out say 300hp you are going to need to upgrade everything inorder to handle that. I hope you have good fab skills and a big wallet. :popcorn:

Negatory on the the wallet and fab skills. I just figured that SBC would be a common swap. I need to do some thinking... I just want to off road, and have plenty of go. NOW I am :confused:

I'm just being realstiic about what you are thinking and don't want to see you get in over your head.

Negatory on the the wallet and fab skills. I just figured that SBC would be a common swap. I need to do some thinking... I just want to off road, and have plenty of go. NOW I am :confused:

So many choices. You can go with this.
11845-1.jpg

Or this
images

Or this
JeepTerm1.jpg

Or just settle like the rest of us for something like this.

jeep_girls_0008.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom