258 4.0 Head Swap Results

258 4.0 Head Swap Results
Well I finished my head swap finally. So here's what I went with: 0630 head, 4.2L pushrods, JBA Header, new cat and flowmaster 40 series muffler - 2.5" pipe. with a howell TBI (was installed before the swap).

Heres a link to a small video with how it sounds.
258 w/ 4.0 head - YouTube

Thanks for all the help guys.
That's Great! Have you driven it yet? You're going to love the extra hp!

Has anyone done this and also done the Mopar Performance MPFI setup? I have the Mopar setup and was considering the head swap along with the MSD ignition upgrade.

So I finnally got most of my parts together to get started on the swap. I do have one question though. We I was getting the head, the guy said it was #7120 but when I got it, it was # 0630. I alrady got a valve cover from a 92 XJ and was wondering if anybody knows if that valve cover will fit on the 0630 head? When you look up gaskets, thay stop at 95 and have a different one listed for newer years. So either I go and buy another valve cover from a new XJ from the junkyard (I'm sure they won't take the old one back in exchange) or use the 92. Any suggestions?
Hard to say, talk to the guys at morris4x4 or quadratec. I personally wanted one that matched the color scheme under the hood.

Well crud, I wish I had seen this thread and knew about this solution before pulling the trigger on my own recent concoction. I have been disappointed in the results.

To summarize what I did: I've got a 4.2L ATK reman, installed about 10k miles ago. It also has a 2bbl Weber carb. I just added a DUI HEI, Hedman 6-in-1 headers, a Flowmaster Super 50, and a 2.5" pipe width all the way back.

My specific areas of disappointment in the solution:

I didn't find any power increase; instead, I've got a possible power decrease. If I hold throttle steady (driving down the road) and then accelerate (passing someone) there can be a momentary pause, followed by a little surging... The guys at my shop said that the increased pipe size could have released too much backpressure, causing this problem. Your thoughts? Was 2.5" too big?

Second issue = too loud. My neighbor 3 doors down says she can tell when I'm going for a ride in the jeep. WTF? From my research, the Flowmaster Super 50 appeared to be the quietest muffler beyond stock. Someone in the CJ8 forums piped in again about the 2.5" being "like a sewer pipe" for the 258, increasing sound... Again, thoughts?

So I'm thinking that I should have done the 4.0L head swap. I suppose its not too late. However, it would SUK if the near $1k I just invested in headers, exhaust, install, etc are totally wasted. I've tried to absorb as much from this thread as possible, however I get lost in details.

Optimally, I can just slap the 4.0 head on, reusing my existing carb, headers, and 2.5" exhaust system and be good-to-go. But things arent generally optimal... Anyone care to set me straight? :confused:

(Other relevant info: T-5, 3.31 TracLoc)

Last edited:
I think you can reuse everything but the header.:cool:

Well crud, I wish I had seen this thread and knew about this solution before pulling the trigger on my own recent concoction. I have been disappointed in the results.

To summarize what I did: I've got a 4.2L ATK reman, installed about 10k miles ago. It also has a 2bbl Weber carb. I just added a DUI HEI, Hedman 6-in-1 headers, a Flowmaster Super 50, and a 2.5" pipe width all the way back.

I didn't find any power increase; instead, I've got a possible power decrease. If I hold throttle steady (driving down the road) and then accelerate (passing someone) there can be a momentary pause, followed by a little surging... The guys at my shop said that the increased pipe size could have released too much backpressure, causing this problem. Your thoughts? Was 2.5" too big?

Second issue = too loud. My neighbor 3 doors down says she can tell when I'm going for a ride in the jeep. WTF? From my research, the Flowmaster Super 50 appeared to be the quietest muffler beyond stock. Someone in the CJ8 forums piped in again about the 2.5" being "like a sewer pipe" for the 258, increasing sound... Again, thoughts?

So I'm thinking that I should have done the 4.0L head swap. I suppose its not too late. However, it would SUK if the near $1k I just invested in headers, exhaust, install, etc are totally wasted. I've tried to absorb as much from this thread as possible, however I get lost in details.

Optimally, I can just slap the 4.0 head on, reusing my existing carb, headers, and 2.5" exhaust system and be good-to-go. But things arent generally optimal... Anyone care to set me straight? :confused:

The header won't work with the 4.0 head. Your hesitation is a lack of fuel. The accelerator pump on the Weber doesn't feed enough gas. I have the same problem and will eventually add FI. You may also want to add an HP cam. I am using Comp Cam 235 grind and love it!

Like the others have said, you'll need to get a manifold for a 4.0, but the good news is you can buy a brand new one from ebay for around $75 delivered, and it's actually a good flowing tubular header instead of restrictive cast iron. People go out and spend a fortune on expensive exhaust because the manufaturers promise all kinds of increased hp, but the truth is, exhaust does very little on an engine that size because they just don't flow that much, especially in the RPM range that 258's run. You can use the intake and webber, but you'll have to do a little modding to get the intake to clear the manifold. I had to dent one of the exhaust manifold tubes a little, but not enough to restrict flow. You'll also have to fabricate some larger keeper washers to bridge the gap between the intake and exhaust manifolds where the center bolts hold both. The stock 258 thick round washers diameter is too small.

P.S. Just checking in. My 258 is still running perfect with the 4.0 head. I decided I wanted even more hp last year and started in on a 4.7L stroker, but I got side tracked by a lot of things including a big boat project so the 4.7 went on the back burner. Currently I have a 4.0 block sitting on the stand freshly bored .030 over. I have a new set of pistons with coated skirts, a Comp cam, and a high volume oil pump. What's missing is I still have to canibalize my good running 258 for the crank and rods. I hate doing that but I haven't been able to locate a good pre 1981 258 crank and rods for a reasonable price. Going from 110hp to 150 with the 4.0 was great. I can't wait to have 250 hp with the stroker! 35" tires will be next on the list since I'll have the power to push them. :D

I purchased my head from this guy on Ebay. Chrysler 4 0 Rebuilt Head AMC Jeep 91 97 7120 | eBay
I didn't need a core and the head that I got had the water ports welded before he surfaced the head. I would call before purchasing to request this.

The header I used is stock from a 1995 Cherokee Sport and works great! It was free because it was cracked at the outlet. I welded it up and it is still fine a year later.
th_NYJeepEngine043.jpg
I used larger washers where needed to mount the header and intake as already mentioned.

Im sorry.. Im way to time and attention restricted to read through 15 web pages.. Ive got a built motor .060 over, custom cam, arp heads, thin head gasket 7120 clear water head that is sitting in my garage that I was waiting to instal due to not having a intake or exhaust for it. I just had a stock header come up for sale locally. Can I get me stock 258 intake to work? I was under the impression that I needed the clifford or offy intake and had to do some significant mods to get in to fit right.. In the end it will have a MC 2100 carb.

I was also thinking that since Im running a ax-15 can I use the fuel injection set up out of a stock YJ? how would that work out with the bigger cam?

Like the others have said, you'll need to get a manifold for a 4.0, but the good news is you can buy a brand new one from ebay for around $75 delivered, and it's actually a good flowing tubular header instead of restrictive cast iron. People go out and spend a fortune on expensive exhaust because the manufaturers promise all kinds of increased hp, but the truth is, exhaust does very little on an engine that size because they just don't flow that much, especially in the RPM range that 258's run. You can use the intake and webber, but you'll have to do a little modding to get the intake to clear the manifold. I had to dent one of the exhaust manifold tubes a little, but not enough to restrict flow. You'll also have to fabricate some larger keeper washers to bridge the gap between the intake and exhaust manifolds where the center bolts hold both. The stock 258 thick round washers diameter is too small.

P.S. Just checking in. My 258 is still running perfect with the 4.0 head. I decided I wanted even more hp last year and started in on a 4.7L stroker, but I got side tracked by a lot of things including a big boat project so the 4.7 went on the back burner. Currently I have a 4.0 block sitting on the stand freshly bored .030 over. I have a new set of pistons with coated skirts, a Comp cam, and a high volume oil pump. What's missing is I still have to canibalize my good running 258 for the crank and rods. I hate doing that but I haven't been able to locate a good pre 1981 258 crank and rods for a reasonable price. Going from 110hp to 150 with the 4.0 was great. I can't wait to have 250 hp with the stroker! 35" tires will be next on the list since I'll have the power to push them. :D

Dont be a stranger. And update us / me :D on the stroker build. :cool:

I've read some excellent posts like these on this topic - thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge. I'm about to pull the trigger on my project but have a few outstanding questions regarding my particular configuration. My questions:

1. Can I re-use the DUI HEI that I purchased in December?
  2. I also recently purchased a set of Hedman Headers for the 4.2. I have read that those do NOT work. Is this correct?
  3. If I need a new set of headers (which I see on ebay for less than $100), what is the standard pipe width on the outlet?
  4. In regards to the last question, What pipe width is recommended for running with the 4.0/4.2 combo? I'm running 2.5" all the way back on my current setup, and think I made a mistake going so wide. (lost back-pressure, loud/gurgley, even with flowmaster 50).
  5. Currently Odessa and Clearwater are selling what appears to be the identical setup for this project. Is one vendor better than the other?
  6. The Odessa/Clearwater heads are both 0630 cast. Is this ok or do I need to hold out for a 7120?
  7. I am currently staying with the Weber carb due to budget constraints. However, in the future I may add FI. Does this make a difference in choosing the right header on ebay?
  8. Will my Weber carb need to be rejetted?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Todd

I've read some excellent posts like these on this topic - thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge. I'm about to pull the trigger on my project but have a few outstanding questions regarding my particular configuration. My questions:

1. Can I re-use the DUI HEI that I purchased in December? Yes you can.
  2. I also recently purchased a set of Hedman Headers for the 4.2. I have read that those do NOT work. Is this correct? Good possibility. I prefer using a header that is specific for the 4.0. A good candidate is the mid-90's XJ tube style header. I went this route and was very pleased.
  3. If I need a new set of headers (which I see on ebay for less than $100), what is the standard pipe width on the outlet?
  4. In regards to the last question, What pipe width is recommended for running with the 4.0/4.2 combo? I'm running 2.5" all the way back on my current setup, and think I made a mistake going so wide. (lost back-pressure, loud/gurgley, even with flowmaster 50). 2½ is ok. Remember, the 4.0 has greater flow than the 4.2 so less backpressure will affect it less then it would the 4.2. I ran dual glasspacks with my 4.0/4.2 hybrid which are very free-flowing..i had no backpressure issues.
  5. Currently Odessa and Clearwater are selling what appears to be the identical setup for this project. Is one vendor better than the other?
  6. The Odessa/Clearwater heads are both 0630 cast. Is this ok or do I need to hold out for a 7120? The 0630 is the head I used. Any 4.0 head is going to be miles ahead of the 4.2 head currently used.
  7. I am currently staying with the Weber carb due to budget constraints. However, in the future I may add FI. Does this make a difference in choosing the right header on ebay? It will if you go FI. You need the O2 sensor ports
  8. Will my Weber carb need to be rejetted? Those dumb things need re-jetted right out of the box..lol. However, if it is giving you no issues now, it shouldn't be a problem with the 4.0 head. Weber's are typically over-jetted at the factory.
Thanks in advance to everyone.

Todd
:chug:

THANKS DUDE! Awesome info, very helpful.

:chug:

And Happy Birthday. :chug:

Hey guys, I've got a question for you. Next on my work list is the Chevy 250 HEI swap, then to the Junkyard TBI. I already have the parts, just waiting on the time. I've been pondering following the 4.0 head swap on to my 73 258 but ran across a junker 96 grand Cherokee with, what I think is a 0630 head, that from the outside looks super clean. It's painted and the valve cover gasket looks new. The exhaust gasket still looks fresh also. I didn't pull it off because I'm not sure if I'd be able to throw it on over the weekend or if I'd have to wait and get it to a machine shop. I can get it for probably $30. Another yard has the 98 Cherokee exhaust manifold (that supposedly doesn't crack) already pulled and can nab that for around $15. I guess my question is, should I pull the trigger on this or wait till the old lady will let me splurge on a valve job? I don't really want it sitting around and I can get another one anytime for the same (the yards around here have half off competitions). What do you guys think? I've been reading your posts for advice, so how about some more haha! Thanks fellas

Hi folks, Pardon my ignorance, but being one just now starting the rebuild/upgrade of a 1980 CJ5 with 258 and all other stock parts. I see the discussions of swapping to a 4.0 head. I'm all for that, but I need to understand a little more of exactly what is a 4.0 head. That is - which engine/model does the 4.0 head come from? Your information is greatly appreciated!

Hi folks, Pardon my ignorance, but being one just now starting the rebuild/upgrade of a 1980 CJ5 with 258 and all other stock parts. I see the discussions of swapping to a 4.0 head. I'm all for that, but I need to understand a little more of exactly what is a 4.0 head. That is - which engine/model does the 4.0 head come from? Your information is greatly appreciated!

Read through the first few pages of this post and all of your questions should be answered. This is pretty informative, goes off topic a couple times, but informative none the less.:chug:

Short answer - the 4.0L engine replaced the 258 (4.2L).

Back to the original topic of this thread.

How many miles has everyone put on their motors since the 4.0 head swap, and has anyone had any problems?

So far I have roughly 12,000 miles on mine and all I've had to do to it is change the oil. The engine still runs perfect, and my valve train is still running quiet as can be.

Not wanting to bring up an old argument, but with all the bad info that was floated a while back by someone who had never actually done this swap, but because of his posts, he may have scared others away from doing it, this bears being mentioned.

All of the doom and gloom about the valve train(pushrods etc...) between the 4.2 and 4.0 not working together has been totally proven wrong. :D

If you're thinking of swapping a 4.0 head to your 4.2(258) don't be scared off by some ill informed previous posts that say things like the valve train in not compatible. Other than some minor mods to the water jackets that are easy to do yourself, the 4.0 head matches up perfectly with the 4.2 block, lifters, and cam. I'm using the 4.0 push rods and they were the perfect length.

Also, though this is a totally different subject, if you choose to swap in an HEI distributor because of its one wire simplicity and ease of maintenance and tuning, don't be scared off by those that say the hardened HEI distributor gear will eat your soft AMC cam gear. That issue only applies to installing an HEI on an AMC V8. My HEI distributor gear and AMC Inline Six cam gear still look like new after all of the miles I've put on them.

To date, quite a few of us have put a lot of miles on our AMC inline 6 cylinders with both of these swaps, and not one post that I've read said anything about any of us who have actually done these mods having either of the problems that we were all warned about by one former member who had no experience doing either swap.

It really pays to learn from the experience of those who have actually done something, rather than listening to those that dabble in theory or read something somewhere. All of us who have made these upgrades are still available today, and are more than willing to answer any questions about our experience for those that are thinking of doing this cheap, easy and very worth while upgrade.
Happy Swapping! :chug:
Upgraded to 4.88 and I have 600 miles on it no problems.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks