304 360 intake swap

304 360 intake swap

Out of my mind CJ5

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5
scrap built CJ7
Hi i have a 360 with a 2bbl intake im sticking in my jeep and have an old AMC 304 with a 4bbl intake. would they swap over without any problems. they look like they will but i just wanted to check

Yes. Like the small block Chevy, the AMC engines (AMC 304 /360/401) can share intake manifolds. There is a difference with the earlier generation 290/343/390 AMC engines from the 60's. But your swap between a AMC 304 and 360 should work.

I would recommend against reusing the metal valley pan gasket based on personal experience. Get new gaskets for both manifolds.

Hey derf just for curiosity, Why not use the valley pan gasket?.

A new valley pan gasket is just fine. I have used them on several AMC engines.

I just wouldn't re-use one. New, they're pressed with raised ridges around the port openings to ensure a good seal. When you torque the manifold down, those raised ridges get flattened. If you use them a second time, they have a tendency to leak.

I reused one since I had nothing else available at the time. I had a water leak at the front water passage and an exaust leak at the exhaust crossover in the middle of the head. Both developed within a week. I put on a new valley pan gasket and the leaks were fixed.

no, it would not. valves have conflict with cylinder wall, the head chamber is bigger than the cylinder.I have heard of guys notching the cylinder / block to clear the valve but it seems like a lot of work for Limited results.:cool:

so would it also be safe to assume that heads off a 79 360 will work on a 74 AMC 304 ?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom