I agree at my altitude (I will be running around 7000-9000 ft) that getting the engine to breath is key to horsepower.

I got my 360 on the stand. It is a 1990 with a 2 barrel motorcraft carb. I am not huge fan of this setup, so I am putting on a Edelbrack performer airgap manifold and a Edelbroc 600cfm carb I have.

It has 50,000 miles on the engine, so while I have it out, I am replacing the water pump, timing chain, timing case, distributer gear and oil pump.

I got a 360 flywheel and I am pretty sure the wieght is right.

I found AMC blue, and I will NOT be painting the engine that color. Man, they had some messed up colors in the 70's.

I was messing around with it and much to my horror, I found a catalytic converter under the Transmission bracket/skid plate. It was hidden. That will be gone in about 10 minutes.

I am sticking to the stock exhaust maifolds for now. Took all the smog pump :dung: off and plugged the holes. Going to cut the muffler out and put in a single glass pack. Big problem is there is not an exhaust shop within 90 miles from me and I am not in the mood to try and fit an exhaust using a vice and muscle to make bends.

Other than that, new cap and rotor, plugs, rebuilt the distributer, new clutch while the engine is out (there was a little scoring on the disk), I hopefully will have her back in this weekend.

Can you guys think of anything else I should do while the engine is on the stand?

Well, timing chain, gears, dist gear, water pump, front seal, fuel pump eccentric, oil pump, and fuel pump changed. Engine painted.

Looking to get her in tommorrow.

Thanks for the help and advice. Will post some pics tommorrow.

Did you lap the oil pump cover to help build up your oil pressure?
JeepHammer over on www.Jeepforum.com has a write-up on how to do it using a sheet of glass and some kind of compound.

vaseline works good to prime the pump. just coat the gears, drop (lift) them in, button it up, and you're good to go. The vaseline also helps keep the gears from dropping out as you install the cover.

Dont try to run the engine without priming the pump.....

I used Edlebrock shorty headers They fit great also had a c.a.r.b. # for Calif smog laws but they fit very well and sound great with 50 series Flow master mufflers.

Did you lap the oil pump cover to help build up your oil pressure?
JeepHammer over on www.Jeepforum.com has a write-up on how to do it using a sheet of glass and some kind of compound.

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/360-9934/index3.html#ixzz1T4ODYly1

Mine only has 50,000 miles on it. Not too worried. Rebuilt the pump and checked the surfaces. Flat as a pancake.

vaseline works good to prime the pump. just coat the gears, drop (lift) them in, button it up, and you're good to go. The vaseline also helps keep the gears from dropping out as you install the cover.

Dont try to run the engine without priming the pump.....

Even though mine is a used engine, I will prime it. Better safe than sorry.

I used Edlebrock shorty headers They fit great also had a c.a.r.b. # for Calif smog laws but they fit very well and sound great with 50 series Flow master mufflers.

I will do something with the exhaust this winter, just want to get it running right now. Plus, I need a top more than headers. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom