Build Thread 83 CJ7 its time to get it done

gert

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 1942 Willys slat grill
It started many years ago with a dark green jeep with a bad paint job hiding bad rust repair work a inline 6 that got to the point that it took an MSD 6 box to make it idle, a T4 4 speed, an AMC20 rear (2 piece axles of course) and a Dana 30 front
jeep1_1415x953.jpg
I had to rebuild the rear axle after I took a road trip to Hot Springs AR listening to the pinion bearing howling. I drove in the fast lane the whole way home so I could hear it really well. I scared someone who was sleeping in the passenger seat of an Explorer since it was so loud :chug:
jeep6_1390x926.jpg
When I got home I thought it was the output bearing of the T4 so I traded it in on a reman T5. Woops, well after that didnt work I ordered new bearings and a Lockright and rebuilt the rear.i chiped a tooth on the ring gear and had to buy a used set to finish the rebuild which was a 3.54 so it didnt match the front axle anymore. So begins the long jurney it had as a 2 wheel drive. Not to long after that I started hearing the clunk clunk noise from the rear:cool:. I could watch the axle nut move back and forth on the drivers side. on goes the 1 piece axle set.(I have changed a few pants sizes since then)
jeep2_1418x945.jpg
After wheeling it and driving it everyday for a while the inline was junk, I got an AMC 360 V8 out of a 78 Grand Waggy and did the last rebuild it will support .060 over bore .030/.030 on the crank. I had the heads rebuilt with 2.02/1.60 valves and a triple angle valve job
gert_stuff_22_103_1229x922.jpggert_stuff_22_093.jpg
I found out quick that an AMC 360, lunch box locker, and 34/9.50 Super Swampers make quick work of stock drive shafts, u joints, and yokes. I was in school and decided that I wanted to restore the jeep before I restored my Dart to get practice doing paint and welding. It co incided well with breaking the last drive shaft I had. I also graduated and moved to Texas after starting the resto. Life got in the way real quick which idled the jeep for a few years. I began working on it again 3 years ago with new body panels on the tub, a Dana 44 front axle Dodge 9.25 from my old 4x4 Dodge. I also found an NV3550 and seats from a 2000 Wrangler.
dscn0291_1290x968.jpg
With the addition of the Dana 44 I decided that I would keep my buddie's YJ springs and do a spring over
gert_jeep_005_2580x1935.jpg
Life has gotten in the way again so I just sold the old tub and bought a newer YJ tub.
gert_i_phone_278.jpg
I finished building my transfer case with everything in JB conversions catalog 4 to 1 gears 32 spline outputs rotation ring 1350 yokes and a twin stick from a bronco site:rolleyes: cant remember who right now. everything I got for the transfer case is absolutly TOP NOTCH and I reccomend them highly
gert_i_phone_267.jpg
gert_i_phone_237.jpg
well since Im on a roll I got the universal parking brake from Tom Woods and fabbed up a bracket to bolt it right up to the output using the right rear parking cable.
gert_i_phone_263.jpg
Well the day after I got the Wrangler body home I already had the seats tossed in dash board attached and front clip on.
gert_i_phone_282.jpg
Tonight I am going to start fabbin the new front bumper and winch mount:chug:

Attachments

• gert_stuff_22_103_1229x922.jpg
    gert_stuff_22_103_1229x922.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 75
Hey gert, good to see you back around wave.png.

Looking great man! Nice work so far.

gert, good to see your back at it.:chug:

ok, more fun today started the bumper build for real :D this one should be just some easy bolt on stuff :rolleyes: I do not want my warn winch to block the entire grill so I decided to borrow a trick from a blazer bumper I saw I also like the smoother ride of the shackle flip but didnt want the tires to hit the fender flares like BusaDave's ssoooo I cut the plate out from between the frame rails moved the steering box forward by 3" and am boxing up the bottom of my bumper to hold everything inplace. I am still thinking about the final design for the steering box brace as I do not ever want it to come loose, so I am looking at some of the aftermarket heavy duty steering box frame braces. I am about to start the front of the bumper after lunch :chug:
gert_i_phone_015.jpg
gert_i_phone_014.jpg
gert_i_phone_013.jpg
gert_i_phone_010.jpg

weekend over, bumper project not :cool: getting closer though, Quadratec sells a HD steering bracket that I am going to use and I will tie it in to the bumper and frame, Today I realized that now my winch is mounted and it only toke me 8 years to do it :chug: whew time flies
gert_i_phone_014_979x734.jpg
gert_i_phone_015_979x734.jpg

The bumper is finally as done as it will be for awhile, I'm hurtin and tired of messing with it. I have over 40 hours in it and a shade under $100 in materials. tonight I start the spring hangers, it will have a 3 inch stretch in the front to clear the back of the fenders while flexing. I am going to add a 2 nd set of holes in the hangers for a tow barView attachment 10337View attachment 10338View attachment 10339

The bumper is finally as done as it will be for awhile, I'm hurtin and tired of messing with it. I have over 40 hours in it and a shade under $100 in materials. tonight I start the spring hangers, it will have a 3 inch stretch in the front to clear the back of the fenders while flexing. I am going to add a 2 nd set of holes in the hangers for a tow barView attachment 10337View attachment 10338View attachment 10339

Gert,

:)You made mention of keeping that steering box tight and without flex. I think your aftermarket frame mount is a step in the right direction.
I also feel it necessary to somehow tie that steering box sector shaft housing into the other side frame rail.
Here is a few pictures of what I did, Good luck with your build.
:D:D:D:D

Tarry99, sweet I like, and will look into it

Last edited:
I put off cutting this hole all weekend....after I drilled it I was thinking about how you wouldnt want to be hoping your in the right spot :eek: I plan on adding frame gussets on both sides so it wont be the weak point in the frame... so the basic bumper, shakle flip, and 3" wheel stretch are on
gert_i_phone_002.jpg
gert_i_phone_005.jpg
gert_i_phone_004.jpg

I also got my new 3.90 ring and pinion for my Dodge 9.25 and its billet 1350 yoke :chug: they ran out of the regular cast yokes:D

gert_i_phone_001.jpg

Don't know why that didn't work. Here it is:

97778586.jpg

Diddy 2003, I am looking at tieing in the steering sector shaft into the bottom of the bumper since it sits 3 inches below the frame rails using a circular collar like on yours.

I have started back on the wiring today. I am building my own battery cables and winch cables from welding wiring which has alot of small stranded wires, (cunducts electricity better) my OCD is kicking in again. I cant stand rats nest wiring. I mounted the control box for the winch on the R/H inner fender and now iim thinning out the extra wires from the painless wiring harness

gert_i_phone_005_979x734.jpg
gert_i_phone_006.jpg
gert_i_phone_004_979x734.jpg
gert_i_phone_003.jpg[/URL]

So do you have a remote to run your winch? If not you will have to raise your hood when you need it :confused:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks