Build Thread 83 CJ7 its time to get it done

Build Thread 83 CJ7 its time to get it done
so much easier to use the computer Pete.... opened up the transfer case to see how it held up being in storage for so many years, happy to say it looks as good as the day I put it together :chug: I hated installing all those new JB Conversions, Inc. parts in the transfer case years ago because they looked so good :chug: I recounted all my gears on the NV4500 to make sure that yes I do have the 6.34 first gear. Wedsite that im planning on buying my 5th gear from lists my 5th as the lower overdrive later model gear which confused me
IMG_3435_zpsx39davfa.jpgIMG_3434_zps5ydv4rze.jpgIMG_3433_zps8rvkxdox.jpgIMG_3432_zpsqnxfffvr.jpg

That sounds like a really nice drivetrain set up. :popcorn:

I'm hoping to have a really strong reliable drivetrain, I want to be able to drive it to the trails as well as down the trails and back home with a pop up trailer, that's one of the reasons it's taken so long this stuff is expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to have a really strong reliable drivetrain, I want to be able to drive it to the trails as well as down the trails and back home with a pop up trailer, that's one of the reasons it's taken so long this stuff is expensive

Pretty much all the things I want out of mine . I watched your build earlier and I know how life interrupts. Keep plugging away :chug:

Pretty much all the things I want out of mine . I watched your build earlier and I know how life interrupts. Keep plugging away :chug:

Life sure gets in the way alot... now that I have seen the Dinoot trailer im pretty hooked, I want to fab up my own trailer with my own axles so I can get the matching 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and mount some matching wheels and tires on it. I think a trailer tent would be neat.

Just put a counter shaft bearing and cups on order about to put the syncro shift key springs on order as well, that will button up the inside, will have to see how the bills are doing might be able to squeeze in one of the 5th gears this week, if not that will have to wait on the next paycheck. I cant wait to get this tranny all buttoned up with the transfer case in the Jeep. waiting on someone to buy my stuff on craigslist lol

saving cheap brake hose info:
1995 GMC K15 6.5 diesel left Part # BH38622 Length (In): 26-1/4 Inch right BH38623 Length (In): 26-1/4 Inch rear BH38624 Length (In): 17-3/8 Inch $60 out the door:chug:
Brake Hose - 1995 GMC K1500 Pickup 4WD | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Dodge rear hose has the correct size fittings Part # BH97659 Hose Length (In): 23 Inch $20
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...|orileys||S|b|122130799601&pt=03349&ppt=C0066

BH38622 Front left 25.75" vs. 17.5"
BH38623 Front right 25.75" vs. 17.5"
BH97659 Rear 23.25" vs. 17.5"

Last edited:
Fired it up last year don't think I posted it tho

I have ThisGuyUKnow's intake and carb on it, did a fresh rebuild and upgrade to metering blocks in the back and the quick change vacuum secondary. I geuss I will running on the carb more than I thought if I'm going to make it to Colorado next year
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://vimeo.com/180402321

She is so much different now
IMG_2825_zps7xzthaib.jpgIMG_2822_zpsq3i4rgus.jpgIMG_2818_zpsxmmk4ti8.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3480_zpsvzxwshwf.jpgIMG_3479_zpsxaen2sp6.jpgIMG_3478_zpsmkcbi8hr.jpgIMG_3477_zpsmzmdci4t.jpgIMG_3476_zps3ztadwbs.jpg
I got to work on the trans this morning after I got off work. Word to the wise.... both rear bearings (counter shaft and main shaft) have to be off in order to get the shafts in or out. When I got my trans both rear bearings had the cage riped of and the needle bearings where gone, I didnt realize it at the time but my trans had been completely apart and several small parts are missing :mad: So this is the gift that keeps on giving...... I have the internals assembled now but the reverse gear will not fit for some reason. When I bought it it was partially dis assembled and I wasnt worried about it because the internals looked beautiful. The guy had about 5 NV4500s in his shop at the time so I think he re assembled my trans with the wrong reverse gear :mad: 39 teeth instead of 35 teeth

IMG_3475_zpsssx32zfg.jpgIMG_3474_zpsottepjca.jpgIMG_3473_zpscune0sja.jpgIMG_3472_zpsrfrouph5.jpgIMG_3471_zpsvhndthuh.jpg
I used the old bearing race to help pound on the new one, also Drilled Really big holes in my case :eek: 9/16- 18 thread more on that later......

IMG_3470_zpsq7hgj9bp.jpg
counter shaft and main shaft wont clear with the rear bearings installed :mad:

so angry right now I do not know what im going to do....buyer beware

My transmission:

IMG_3478_zpsmkcbi8hr.jpg

Correct Late model:

IMG_20120707_113514_zpskpfilib9.jpg

correct early model:

2012-07-04_13-56-48_106_zps5cjox6zw.jpg

I think I am going to need a break for a few days......

I know that rebuilding transmissions and transfer cases seem like bottomless money pits! :dunno: I just rebuilt my transfer case and put over $600 in it. :eek: Still need to rebuild my extra automatic transmission. :rolleyes: But in the long run these are the parts that make it go, so it only makes sense to do it right the first time. :chug:

I know that rebuilding transmissions and transfer cases seem like bottomless money pits! :dunno: I just rebuilt my transfer case and put over $600 in it. :eek: Still need to rebuild my extra automatic transmission. :rolleyes: But in the long run these are the parts that make it go, so it only makes sense to do it right the first time. :chug:

I can't agree more I think I have over a grand in my D300..... We will see how bad it gets with the Nv4500 later, it's shoved in the back corner of the garage at the moment. Well today I got to play a few minutes while the kids were sleeping and hit the rotors and calipers off the old Dana 30 and dropped them on the rear axle, just need to cut some cardboard to fit for templates so I can make the bracketsec30c76966cf634b602d91846d35aff2.jpg45e7cfdb9ca731e86731548a1f688338.jpg5fa9bc0c9c61a13ac36a944bb9445a8d.jpgcf03e0d1b4a35a41b6bdd05da1741fd4.jpg

Sweet! Found your build thread. Sub'ed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sweet! Found your build thread. Sub'ed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lol ya its in my signature.... gonna have to get someone who is internet savy to teach me how to make the link say that its the build thread instead of the direct link :chug:

got the cardboard cut to fit pretty good, I have one of the brackets rough cut and getting close to fitting the caliper bracket. Gonna try and get the mounting holes located and drilled :chug:

IMG_3495_zpsjvm4vltc.jpg

Sweet thanks to whoever straightened out my sig link :chug::notworthy:

Sweet thanks to whoever straightened out my sig link :chug::notworthy:

I went in and tried to fix yours and screwed it up badly. :D Then I decided I could fix it on mine. After that Cj fixed them both. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom