86 cj7 running hot

mycapricess

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 258 5 speed
1994 Chevy Caprice Police Car
1987 Chevrolet Corvette
So i have been working on my 86 CJ7 . I had to put a new heater core in it and did not tighten up one of the hoses all the way. Lost some coolant and the motor got a little warm. Tightened up the hose filled the collant and ran it and since then i has ran with the guage at about the 3/4 mark and it used to run just at 1/2 or under. I put in a new thermostat and the water pump was done just before this. All new collant lines and coolant what am I missing? The oil looks good so i don't think the head is leaking into the oil but this worries me I don't want my wife getting stranded out there someplace.

Any ideas what else to check?

I would try to purge the coolant system - make sure you don't have an air bubble. It shouldn't happen in a CJ as the radiator cap is higher then the remainder of the coolant system, but it could happen.

To purge the system, remove the cap (when the coolant is cold) and run the engine until the coolant warms. let it cool, fill and replace the cap.

I will give that a try again. Otherwise I think i might need to check to make sure i don't have a bad head gasket.

Just went through this with my 83 cj. you have a air lock. Try running with the heater on high. See if you have heat. Mine would be about half the heat it should have and go cool at idle. It took 2 days of driving before it cleared up. Also do you run a serpent belt? if so the water pump turn is different from a v belt.

The heat has been working good I have been running it when i drive to help take some excess heat out of the cooling system. Did not have time to play with it last night will see what i can get done tonight if mother nature is willing to work with me.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom