AMC 20 two piece axle failure?

AMC 20 two piece axle failure?

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
Has anyone here ever actually broken an AMC20 two piece axle?? I have never met any one who has broken one but I have talked to lots of people who have had repeated oil seal failure with the one piece upgrades. I am seriously thinking about an ARB airlock for the rear axle and I guess if anything will push the two piece axle to it's limit it will be a locked differential.

I haven't broken one in a Jeep, but I have in a car. I had a 74 AMX 360 4 speed that spun one and I wasn't even beating on it. I know you can re-torque the big nut on the car, but I don't know if it's the same deal on the Jeep axles or not. My friend re-torqued the nut on his car axle and ran it with sticky tires at the track and had no breakage. Supposedly, what happens is the axle nut kind of stretches after being on for so long and you need to loosen it, then re-torque it back to spec so the hub will be secure. Not that the hub is going to fall off if it's not re-torqued, but due to age, it no longer has it's full clamping force. Again, though, not totally sure this is the same for the Jeep.

I have torn the hubs out of 3-4 of them myself, and have seen a bunch let go on the trail. On the street, if you're not nuts they'll last ok. If you're going to wheel them to any extent, better to do an axle shaft upgrade.

I have torn the hubs out of 3-4 of them myself, and have seen a bunch let go on the trail. On the street, if you're not nuts they'll last ok. If you're going to wheel them to any extent, better to do an axle shaft upgrade.

Ditto. Better to not have to worry about it.

I have spun several and actually bent one by putting her on her side. With that said If I ever get another CJ with 2-piece you can guess what the first mod will be.

Has anyone here ever actually broken an AMC20 two piece axle?? I have never met any one who has broken one but I have talked to lots of people who have had repeated oil seal failure with the one piece upgrades. I am seriously thinking about an ARB airlock for the rear axle and I guess if anything will push the two piece axle to it's limit it will be a locked differential.

I've spun hubs on a few, split the tube at the housing on one, bend the tube on another. Now I stick with stronger third members that can take 401 V8 power.:eek:

Mr. Baker , you have an open differential in the rear of a 79 CJ7 ??

when the upgrades were done were there issues with the oil seals? If so what company made the axles, if not, what company made the axles.
I don't mind oil leaks in general but I do have problems with oil in the break drums.

Mr. Baker , you have an open differential in the rear of a 79 CJ7 ??

when the upgrades were done were there issues with the oil seals? If so what company made the axles, if not, what company made the axles.
I don't mind oil leaks in general but I do have problems with oil in the break drums.

That was in an 81 CJ7 I used to have. The axle was the stock AMC20 with 2.73 gears. I regeared it to 4.88's and did the 1 pc swap at the same time, so I put in all new seals. I got the gears, install kits and 1 pc axles from Randy's Ring & Pinion online. It was all Yukon brand stuff, and held up very well. It was all still in the Jeep when I sold it several years later.

My current project is a 79 CJ7 , and it's getting Dana 44 's front & rear with 4.11 gears and probably some type of locker or spool. My last CJ was my daily driver, this one I'm building for primarily off road use.

I have never broken an axle, but I have spun hubs, which makes the axle junk.
I have superior axles and a detroit locker which have been in for about 4 years now. No seal leaks yet. Most people I know do not have seal problems.
Most seals leak for one of these reasons.
1) they were put in wrong
2) they were put in dry
3) the axle tube is bent

thank you for your replies, I see this site rapidly becoming my favorite hang out.
I have a few more things on the list before the axle happens so for now I think I shall retorque the nuts and hope for the best for a while. The air lock will be a good spring time project I think.:chug:

I also have never broke an axle but have spun a hub on a AMC20 . About 20 years ago I installed Henry's full floating axles. They are very similar to Warn full floating axles. No problems with them and as I flat tow behind motorhome at times, I installed Mile Marker Hubs on the rear so I basically tow a 4 wheel trailer when all the hubs are in the free mode

As far as I remember, to re-torque the nuts, you loosen them, then re-torque them to 250 lb/ft. You need a heavy duty torque wrench for it. 250 was for a car, not sure if it's the same for a Jeep.

I didn't spin one I just upgraded pretty quick just because
Yukon Axles
Yukon 4.88 gears
Detroit Locker

Also tack welded the axle tube to hopefully keep it from spinning, been like this for 4 years now with no problems yet. Will say repacking bearings kind-a stinks

I picked up my Jeep for a grand cuz the guy thought he blew the rearend. Just spun the drivers side hub. I got a set of solid axles from Crown and they were fairly inexpensive and I've been beating on them for two years with no problems.

I picked up my Jeep for a grand cuz the guy thought he blew the rearend. Just spun the drivers side hub. I got a set of solid axles from Crown and they were fairly inexpensive and I've been beating on them for two years with no problems.

Sounds like a smoking deal. Now just don't get to crazy with it.;)

Well, It also had a flat cam, no seats, junk dash, no bumpers,and somebody cut off the back end of the rollcage. I've got 5k in her with no end in sight. Dig a big hole- I believe I'll be buried in this thing when I die.

Well, It also had a flat cam, no seats, junk dash, no bumpers,and somebody cut off the back end of the rollcage. I've got 5k in her with no end in sight. Dig a big hole- I believe I'll be buried in this thing when I die.

I think we all feel that way.;)

I hope I can find a hearse with a tow ball to pull it to the cemetery.
You see, you can take it with you!!
:laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom