AMC rear differential bolts

AMC rear differential bolts

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
Hey, can someone confirm for me the size of torx bolts used on the AMC diff? I think they are T-40...

They are VERY stuck on!!! :mad:

Some of the holes go all the way through, you need to spray them with penetrating oil from the backside.
I don't remember what size they are, mine have been hex heads for to long now.

I've sprayed those things every which way and they just won't budge. I'm afraid that if I use any more pressure the torx head on the socket is just going to break off.

Any other ideas?

Also, what is the proper size for the filler plug? I thought it was going to be just the end of the ratchet (like the front diff). And that is what the Chilton's manual says. However, I have tried both my 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets and neither seem to fit???

Use an impact tool (NOT AN AIR WRENCH, an IMPACT TOOL) on those Torx screws. Be sure it's turned the correct direction before you smack it with that hammer...

The hammer blows will help shake the bolts loose very slightly, and may make all the difference.

The filler plug should be 1/2". I've run into a couple that were so full of crud they FELT like 7/16", but when they got cleaned up they turned out to be for-real 1/2".

Thanks. My only problem is that the only torx socket I could get was in 3/8" drive and my impact wrench is 1/2". I'm a little hesitent to use a 3/8" to 1/2" converter because of the amount of force that is going to be necessary to break those bolts loose.

There must be something wrong on the filler plug side because I cannot get my 3/8" socket driver to go into the hole, let alone the 1/2" The plug itself appears to be physically too small to accommodate a 1/2" ratchet. :confused:

He is saying use an impact driver, not an impact wrench...

ImpactDriverWithBits.png

impact.jpg

He is saying use an impact driver, not an impact wrench...

ImpactDriverWithBits.png

impact.jpg

Oh, I see what you're saying...I have already tried my cordless impact driver with a T-40 bit. That's actually what I tried first before I got the T-40 socket. It had no luck on them...

An impact driver is not guaranteed to get the bolt out, but they sometimes work wonders. They compress the bolt head and send a shock through the bolt as they ratchet. Great item to have in your emergency off-road tool kit.

The impact driver is not as inclined to strip the head out of a torx bolt. and it can generate a lot more torque than your electric impact.:cool:

Go buy an impact driver you will need it again.;)

My fill plug takes a 3/8 allan wrench. might try one of them.:chug:

im almost ashamed to tell this but i will anyway, when i put my axle kit in i got all the bolts out but one, i stripped two sockets on that one bolt. so i got pissed off and welded the torx socket onto the bolt, it worked. funny thing is i put the same bolt back in with the socket still welded to it, its still there. i figured i had about $6 worth of sockets (i bought singles at the parts store) in that one bolt i wasn't gonna waste it :D

Hey, can someone confirm for me the size of torx bolts used on the AMC diff? I think they are T-40...

They are VERY stuck on!!! :mad:

T-40 is correct

The next time this happens I suggest you weld a nut on the head of the bolt and take it off with a wrench. It expands the bolt and removes the tension on it and it will usually come out quite easily. This also works on bolts you have broken the head off, if you have enough bolt flush or sticking out to weld to. This works a whole lot better than an easy out.
As far as having a Torx socket mounted to your differential housing, your right, you should be ashamed of your self.:laugh::eek::laugh:
im almost ashamed to tell this but i will anyway, when i put my axle kit in i got all the bolts out but one, i stripped two sockets on that one bolt. so i got pissed off and welded the torx socket onto the bolt, it worked. funny thing is i put the same bolt back in with the socket still welded to it, its still there. i figured i had about $6 worth of sockets (i bought singles at the parts store) in that one bolt i wasn't gonna waste it :D

On the subject of Torx sockets, I want to recommend the set from Lowe’s. The Kobalt set is the best I have used and when you do break one, and you will, you don’t have to send things to a far away land or chase a big truck around town to exchange them.
This may belong in the shop and tool forum but it seems relevant to this thread.

Back to the filler plug (now that we're SURE you'll own an impact driver soon :) )... it's too small to fit a 3/8"? Is it possible that you're lookin' at an Allen socket in that?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom