Ammo

Ammo
Finding an AR similar rifle around here is a losing venture. Everybody is sold out from what I'm hearing. Demand has outweighed the supply nationwide.

Only spent a grand and some change. The nice thing about a small town is that you know everyone. The owner of the store use to be an employee at my work. He was vey nice about the whole Transmission action.

Just put in a offline bid of $6000 on this item, it has no other bids so maybe I'll get a reply... The starting bid is $500 from my bid. :)~~>> http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323871570

If I get this my Christmas fund is dead - I have been saving up for a few years for my 49th / 50th birthday celebration...

I ordered my case of .223 in May and didn't get them till October. So order and be ready for a wait. If not being to nosey what was the price of that shooting iron.:D
I understand - the brick I ordered was actually 556, it seems to be in better supply and the rifle is chambered for both. That is one of the reasons it was such a great deal! :)

My other AK will not shoot 556. :(

It's actually the same round, just how it's named is different. The 5.56 mm round is the same as the .223 caliber round, however, the throat of the 5.56 round is a bit longer and the pressure once fired is more than the standard .223 round. With modern weapons this isn't a problem, however if you have an older .223 rifle, you don't want to shot 5.56 as the pressure may be more than the rifle was build for.

I like the Barrett...but you better learn how to reload if you plan to shoot it much...ammo is expensive. With that rifle you can really "reach out and touch someone." :D

Last edited:
Only spent a grand and some change. The nice thing about a small town is that you know everyone. The owner of the store use to be an employee at my work. He was vey nice about the whole Transmission action.

Just put in a offline bid of $6000 on this item, it has no other bids so maybe I'll get a reply... The starting bid is $500 from my bid. :)~~>> Barrett Model 95 50 BMG Leupold 4.5-14X50 New! : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

If I get this my Christmas fund is dead - I have been saving up for a few years for my 49th / 50th birthday celebration...

Hell ya, if you get it I'm on my way down to help you brake it in.:D :biggun:

It's actually the same round, just how it's named is different. ~~~
Kinda sorta... Not really at all... Nato military rounds are completely different than civilian 223 ammo.

The best description I have ever found is here -->> Difference between 5.56 and .223 - AR15 Armory.com

There are a lot of questions about these two cartridges. Many people think they are identical - merely different designations for commercial and military. The truth is that, although somewhat similar, they are not the same and you should know the differences before buying either cartridge.

* The cartridge casings for both calibers have basically the same length and exterior dimensions.
* The 5.56 round, loaded to Military Specification, typically has higher velocity and chamber pressure than the .223 Rem.
* The 5.56 cartridge case may have thicker walls, and a thicker head, for extra strength. This better contains the higher chamber pressure. However, a thicker case reduces powder capacity, which is of concern to the reloader.
* The 5.56mm and .223 Rem chambers are nearly identical. The difference is in the "Leade". Leade is defined as the portion of the barrel directly in front of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. It is also more commonly known as the throat. Leade in a .223 Rem chamber is usually .085". In a 5.56mm chamber the leade is typically .162", or almost twice as much as in the 223 Rem chamber.
* You can fire .223 Rem cartridges in 5.56mm chambers with this longer leade, but you will generally have a slight loss in accuracy and velocity over firing the .223 round in the chamber with the shorter leade it was designed for.
* Problems may occur when firing the higher-pressure 5.56mm cartridge in a .223 chamber with its much shorter leade. It is generally known that shortening the leade can dramatically increase chamber pressure. In some cases, this higher pressure could result in primer pocket gas leaks, blown cartridge case heads and gun functioning issues.
* The 5.56mm military cartridge fired in a .223 Rem chamber is considered by SAAMI (Small Arm and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) to be an unsafe ammunition combination.

And that is why my new AR is chambered for the Nato 556 (or the 223) saami certed... :)

~~~ I like the Barrett...but you better learn how to reload if you plan to shoot it much...ammo is expensive. With that rifle you can really "reach out and touch someone." :D
I would just need to re chamber my loader, I'll know in two hours! :)

Got a shotgun, a rifle,:shooter: and a 4wd :xj: and a country boy can survive!:D

Damn - didn't get a bite on the model 95 - lets hope I get a follow up e-mail...

Hey guys, I have started my hunt for an AR or M4, still in the research phase at the moment. Since I am in CA I know there will be restrictions on the mag and the lower but even that is difficult to research. The bullet button VS the boxed in receiver I am still unclear on. Max clip capacity is ten rounds so getting something that comes with larger capacity magazines doesn't help me here.

It will be for home defense and range shooting mostly so I am leaning to the slightly longer AR. Since I will not likely find myself in the position of having to clear a room with it I am not too worried about the added length. I like the look of rails on it, and want my options open for optics and perhaps a bi-pod.

Anyway, this is my first larger caliber weapon so does anyone have any advice they would like to share? Any problem brands I should stay away from?

My understanding is that if chambered for the 5.56 you can also shoot .223 but not the other way around so I was leaning that way. I was also looking for floating barrel.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Troy--
Steering rehab- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4106
Build thread- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1966-cj-6-build-15075/

My fav brand of AR is Bushmaster - but everyone has their preferences.
The biggest problem your going to have is that there are MONTHS of waiting lists for any AR (brand not withstanding).
You are correct on 556 vs 223. A 556 chamber will fire a 223 but not necessarily the other way around (yet they will chamber)... 556 is military while 223 is civilian.

Be very careful, you do not want to ever fire a 556 round in a civilian 223 receiver, it will fire but it could easily fracture.

He is 16. I have been a firearms instructor for over 25 years...they have been shooting since they were 6. I have my own 100 m range at the house and lots of different steel and paper setups for all kinds of drills. Anyone is welcome to visit if they are in the area...I will provide the ammo...you bring steaks for the grill. :D

Fantastic! You have / are what I never had growing up. I was raised around armaments but never had 'official' teaching... My Uncle was my guide. My Brother and I spent our 30 + years shooting...

My cousins husband builds ar's for a hobby and built a .450bushmaster that fires like dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received a follow up email on the 95. It should be on it's way on monday. :)

My Christmas Present:

remington1911r1.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom