Announcing the Last Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Announcing the Last Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
All good things must come to an end. This will be the last year of the Jeep-CJ.com Colorado Trail Ride. The mountains of southwestern Colorado are a Jeepers heaven. If your jeeping activities are usually looking for a muddy field to try out your four wheel drive this trail ride is a must do.

As with the other years these trails will be doable in a stock CJ. Do not think you need to modify your jeep in order to keep up with us. On the other hand I always strongly encourage participant feedback in planning the trail ride. So if everyone is looking for more of a challenge by the end of the week we may try something a little more difficult such as Poughkeepsie Gulch. But for the most part a stock CJ will be my criteria for deciding on trails.

I promise this year's trail ride will be the best. I know these mountains and I know what trails are the best. For those of you that have been here for previous year's trail rides I apologize in advance. Some of these trail rides will be on the same trails we went on before. In coming up with the best trails I will be looking back to previous years. On the other hand I will also promise that we will be going on some trails that we have never been on before.

This year we will be using Ouray as our base. It has a better selection of motels and restaurants. Ouray is nicknamed the Switzerland of America.

Day1-091Ouray_zps8f320f91.jpg

We will be having breakfast and dinner at restaurants. Bring a cooler to carry sandwiches and drinks. Lunch will be on the trails.
A CB Radio is highly recommended. This is how we will communicate on the trails.
If you plan on coming please PM me. We will need to exchange cell phone numbers so we can meet up in Ouray.

You can also rent jeeps in Ouray.

The trail ride will be taking place the last week of August 2014.
Here are my tentative plans:
Sunday August 24th – Travel day. No trail rides are planed. Check into your motel and get settled in. We will all meet at O'Brien's Pub in the middle of Ouray for dinner and a couple beers. :chug:
Day1-093OBriensPub_zpsb0b3401d.jpg

Monday August 25th - Engineer Pass and Corkscrew Pass. I love this route. It starts off rocky. We will go over 4 very high mountain passes.
To see what this day will be like check out this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/engineer-corkscrew-pass-sw-colorado-14887/
011Large.jpg

Tuesday August 26th - Black Bear and Imogene. This will be a long day but also the best trail ride of the week. For more info check out this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/black-bear-imogene-passes-6540/
392DescendingBlackBear.jpg

The ledges on Black Bear may look scarey. If you'd rather not take this trail you could take Ophir pass as an alternate. We could then meet up in Telluride.

Wednesday August 27th - Cinnamon Pass. We will pass by Animas Forks Ghost town and then go over Cinnamon Pass with beautiful scenery all the way.
617_HeadedtoCinnamonPassLarge.jpg

Thursday August 28th
- Governor Basin. From Ouray we will follow the canyon back toward Mount Sneffels, a 14,150 foot mountain.
overhangonthewaytoCampBird.jpg

Friday August 29th – This is the last day of trail rides. I will not announce specific plans until the week of trail rides have started and we can all discuss what type of trails everyone enjoyed most. If everyone wants scenery we could head up Eureka Gulch. If everyone is looking for a challenge one option would be Poughkeepsie Gulch but this trail requires lockers.
PoughkeepsieGulchSignSmall.jpg

Saturday August 30th – Travel day to get back home. No trail rides are planed for this day.

Here are some more threads on this area:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-report-15621/
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/3rd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-trail-report-19972/
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/jeep-trails-over-silverton-co-18968/
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/fall-san-juan-mountains-15878/
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/maggie-gulch-minnie-gulch-15094/
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/mountain-trails-near-silverton-colorado-9630/

If you plan on coming please check over your jeeps carefully. Check each u-joint. Check bearing, brakes hoses and battery cables. We all like the older jeeps but we need to make sure they are ready for the trips over the mountains.
Please do not make major modifications or changes just before coming to Colorado. If you make changes early in the year thoroughly test and make sure it's ready and reliable. I'm in IT and I have an end user that always tell me “every upgrade is a downgrade”. Even when you are making improvements, every major change comes with problems before you get things ironed out.
As I've said before, this trail ride can be done in a stock CJ. Don't even adjust your carburetor for high elevations. If it runs fine at home it will run just fine in Colorado. The only modification I would recommend is one piece axles for the rear. But then again I make that recommendation for everyone with an AMC20 rear end.

Here are a couple of motels in Ouray that you can book your reservations at:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Rivers Edge Motel[/FONT] 866-739-4987 This is where I will be staying.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ouray Hotel | BEST WESTERN PLUS Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs | Ouray, Colorado[/FONT] 800-207-2700 or 970-325-4427

Both of the above motels can accommodate parking for a truck and trailer.

Last edited:
Here's some more pictures of Black Bear Pass & Imogene Pass

Here's the route we will be taking down Black Bear Pass (007 took this pic)
11355d1347331408-2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-report-bb-pass.jpg

1000_foot_drop_at_black_bear.jpg

Looking out the door on Black Bear Pass
TellurideampImogenePass_zpsb03b39ec.jpg
Here is a picture of Telluride and the route we will be taking back over the mountains. The above picture doesn't really show how far it is from Telluride back to Ouary. This will take hours.

I sure wish I could make it, but the "Boss" has already planned our weeks vacation in September. Maybe someday in the future we could lure Dave out of retirement for few days of trail riding in his backyard.

I sure wish I could make it, but the "Boss" has already planned our weeks vacation in September. Maybe someday in the future we could lure Dave out of retirement for few days of trail riding in his backyard.

Hopefully. I wont be making it either. My job determined my vacation is the two weeks before the ride.

From past experience, The Rivers edge is clean comfortable and small. If you are claustrophobic you may want to reserve one of the big rooms. The food and drink in Ouray is very good. Not a lot of fast food and you will be on the very tail end of the season. A decent tip will make you a friend for life. You will have to go to Silverton for mountain oysters.

From what I have heard the rental places may have a small problem with you driving Black Bear and Poughkeepsie gulch. So what they don't know?

Of the trails I have been on I think the engineer pass to corkscrew is really the most fun over all. Big rocks, high mountain peaks and tight switchbacks made it for me, excellent choice for the first day.:D

For all you other flat landers, Remember: the air is pretty thin at 13000 ft. and the weather can change at the drop of a hat. A dependable Jeep is the name of the game, you do not want to have to walk out of this place or call a wrecker. As if cell phones worked that high.:D

This was a major life experience for me and I think if you can get there it will be for you too.:cool:

The wife & I are planning to make it. :)
I just hope life doesn't have other plans for us or our money. :eek:
With that said, I won't be 100% sure till closer to ride time.

Do the motel rooms fill up fast ie. is there a need to reserve a room way in advance?

I'm in this year, I PM'd you as well. I'm going to start a thread chronicling my "trip-build."

I'm going to cover some upgrades, some silly cosmetics, dropping off the Jeep for the shipper, flying to Colorado Springs, picking it up and driving the 6hrs to Ouray from there - then of course the trails!

Also, I'll second what IO said. I've been going to Ouray since the mid-late 70's. When I was just 10 my dad and mom and I drove our 79 CJ7 from Indiana to Ouray and did some trails, and I've done many many tours with San Juan Scenic Jeep Tours (We Drive...You Look) and it's really a heavenly place that you'll never forget.

Last edited:
The wife & I are planning to make it. :)
I just hope life doesn't have other plans for us or our money. :eek:
With that said, I won't be 100% sure till closer to ride time.

Do the motel rooms fill up fast ie. is there a need to reserve a room way in advance?

I'm a freak about hotel rooms. I book the minute I think I'm going somewhere. But that's just me. I wouldn't wait too long as places start filling up when the birds start chirping in our neck of the woods. Besides, if you book now it'll subconsciously be one more reason to make the trip... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would make your reservations by May or June. Better yet make them now. You can always cancel 24 hours in advance without a penalty (but please don't wait 24 hours before the trail ride to cancel). My point is if you're even thinking of coming here then make reservations. If you later think you won't be able to make it, cancel your reservations. No penalty. No fees.

On the other hand, Ouray is a small town. It is very possible all rooms in town could fill up. Then where would you stay? Silverton? Ridgeway? We would have an early breakfast in Ouray and you'd have to drive 45 minutes before meeting us.
I say you're better off playing it safe than sorry. There's no risk. No penalty. :D

We are planning on coming. It's Curt and JoEllen for names. Dave - I'll send you our contact info. Thanks for all the work you put into this. I plan on the adventure of a lifetime!!! :D

I hope I don't end up like "Bill" in the hill climbing game I have on my new 8.1 touchscreen laptop - we will be in trouble then.....:eek:

CJ is coming! He made his motel reservations. What about Fishinfool98?

CJ is coming! He made his motel reservations. What about Fishinfool98?

Just got off the phone with CJ. Their both coming. Wish this wouldve been a week earlier. :(

This is great news! Dave what's the official yes count now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have 4 people that are promising to be there. Posi also says he'll be there but can't guarantee it yet. Then there are a few more that hope to make it.
But Fishinfool98 hasn't made it official yet.

Anyone can see who's coming. Look at the poll at the top of the page and click on any of the numbers. It will expand out the poll and you can see who voted and how.

Oh, and if anyone needs to change their vote let me know.

If anyone is coming through Trinidad, Colorado, I will be able to help if there are any problems. I have a truck and trailer, as well as most hand and air tools that can be used. Also have a concrete drive and garage. PM me if any questions. Stodg

Wish I could, August is my busy season with work.
Jeff

FF and I will be dragging his CJ8 rig to the Col. Meet and greet. I reserved a dual queen suite for the week for both of us..

Sure hope we don't kill each otherer over the week, we will see.

The biggest problem right now is that he is being transferred from Panama city to what we think is Chatanooga TY. Could make my trip a little difficult but who cares...

Great to hear you folks are coming...!!

Why did you think the 8 might burst into flames? Is there another story here? I hate it when I am dense - No - I have brown hair, with a little grey....:rolleyes:

FF and I will be dragging his CJ8 rig to the Col. Meet and greet. I reserved a dual queen suite for the week for both of us..

Sure hope we don't kill each otherer over the week, we will see.

The biggest problem right now is that he is being transferred from Panama city to what we think is Chatanooga TY. Could make my trip a little difficult but who cares...

:)
There is a thread on the site (some where) where the 8 caught fire when the oil pan split while crawling during a !Wounded Warriors! Run.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks