Backfiring

Backfiring

Jet

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 cj7, 258, stock.
My "84 CJ7 can scare the :dung: out of any innocent being within 500 yards.
When driving downhill in 1st, or 2nd gear idling along, after a half mile or so, she starts to burp some, then POW!, burp some, POW! If i shift into neutral right after a backfire, she will die sometimes, not always.
It was funny until i caused a little girl to cry. I'm over it.
Engine has 22k, new carb 8k ago. She idles really well most of the time, good acceleration all the time, & wont backfire downshifting on flats. Exhaust appears sound, good flow. I use 85 octane gas.
It seems the backfiring has begun only in the last couple of weeks or so. I mostly drive her on the weekends.

Thoughts please. Thanks!

I had the wire on the coil become loose and cause enough of an open circuit that it allowed fuel to build up in the muffler, when it did fire it blew the seam out of the muffler and scared the bejeebers out of me.
check the ignition wiring.:cool:

My "84 CJ7 can scare the :dung: out of any innocent being within 500 yards.
When driving downhill in 1st, or 2nd gear idling along, after a half mile or so, she starts to burp some, then POW!, burp some, POW! If i shift into neutral right after a backfire, she will die sometimes, not always.
It was funny until i caused a little girl to cry. I'm over it.
Engine has 22k, new carb 8k ago. She idles really well most of the time, good acceleration all the time, & wont backfire downshifting on flats. Exhaust appears sound, good flow. I use 85 octane gas.
It seems the backfiring has begun only in the last couple of weeks or so. I mostly drive her on the weekends.

Thoughts please. Thanks!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom