Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild

Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild
Looking good Bill, as usual. Have it out in the mud soon??

As far as the winch set up I'd recommend a hitch mount setup (IMHO). You can set it up front if you need to continue on the trail forward or more than likley if your hard headed like me you need it hooked up in the rear to get you out of someplace someone told you you can't go through. And when not needed it sits in a box in the back of the Jeep or in the garage. Anyway that's my opinion. And as a bonus feature is it doesn't sit there in the weather all the time, isn't eye candy for the local theif and takes a bit of weight off the frontend parts when your just crusing.

Keep it up Bill, I'll be back doing the finishing touches on mine in a month or so.. Dave

Dave - I'm hoping for around May. I've got a few pricey pieces I need to acquire (clutch, etc. and headers) to get it running, so it will depend on how the $$ hold out. I agree on the hitch mount winch set up. That's the way I'm leaning.

Tonka - Thanks Man

Texas - I checked out your blog. I'm sure it seems a bit overwhelming at times and I know how slow progress can be, but in the end it will be worth it. Keep at it.

Thanks again Guys - Bill :chug:

So I'm still in cleaning and painting mode, but I think I'm begining to run out of parts to clean and paint :rolleyes:. I got the Transfer Case done and all the t case shift linkage and got that put back together. I started bolting stuff back on the engine. Spent half the morning trying to figure out how the alternator mounting brackets attached and finally figured out what was on there wasn't stock, but something a PO cobbled together :bang:
So after a bit of research, decided the best alternative was to spring for the BullTear bracket.

The last big thing on the engine is to clean up the intake manifold. Most of the smog system has already been removed or disconnected, so I trying to figure out what I can plug or blank off on the intake manifold to clean up all the loose, plugged hoses and stuff.

Was kinda hoping to get the engine stuck back in this past weekend, but didn't quite get there. I got the bell housing painted. Got the flywheel resurfaced and a new ring gear installed and picked up a new clutch kit from NAPA. Still had a couple of more pieces to get painted before assembling everything and it decided to turn back to winter on Friday night. So, it was a bit too cold to finish the painting I needed to get done.

Anyway, I had finally got the stainless steel dash panel back from the buddy who was bending it for me, so decided to work on the dash. I got the new panel drilled and attached to the old dash and did some layout for the new gauges. I've got a few minor mods to make, cut out the openings for the gauges, paint the old dash (black wrinkle finish), then I can start assembling that.

On Sunday, I ordered all the parts to rebuild the clutch linkage and hopefully will get the engine put in next weekend (if it doesn't snow again :rolleyes:).

PS: the flywheel pic is not what I thought, just the center. Will post a complete pic later

Bill -- three things....

1st - I really like the dash. Is it all hand made?? I might have to make one of those.

2nd - are you going with in the frame or fender well headers? I have a set of the inside the frame headers just waiting for a new home...

3rd - what kind of scoot you got under cover there??? Front fender looks interesting.

Dave -

1 - I made a cardboard template for the face and wedge piece. Then a friend cut it out of sheet stainless (I think it's 22 ga) and bent it. He used a break, but I think it could be done by hand with a little patience. A neighbor has one similar in his CJ7 that he made from aluminum all by hand.

2 - In frame - send me a PM and lets see what we can work out.

3 - That's my 2005 Victory Kingpin (the other American motorcycle). Sweet ride - 92 ci V twin. Pearl White with silver flames. Been ignoring it some though since I got the Jeep.

Bill

Dave - Thanks for the offer! I figured it was a little late (your time) to call tonight, but will talk to you tomorrow.

Bill :chug:

The last couple of weeks have been slow progress on the Jeep. It's been raining and snowing on and off, so it's been a bit cold out in the garage. I did manage to get the wrinkle paint on the dash and started doing some assembly. Still waiting on a couple of parts for it, but it's almost there.

My headers arrived today (Thanks Dave!), so I'm getting close to stuffing the engine back in and get this thing running, or so I thought. In the process of cleaning up the intake manifold, I managed to break part of the casting while trying to remove the bolts at the choke heater.:bang: I guess I'll just look at it as a reason to buy a nice Edelbrock manifold. :rolleyes:

Bill lookin good man, im diggin on the guage set up. My fuel and temp guage went wacky on my 75, the speedo and blinkers still work but not the fuel and temp, and they both stopped at the same time. Ive heard ground is usually the culprit. ? but back to your build, very clean man , very clean. When you ordered your u bolts for the axles where did you buy em from and what ones did you order if you can remember . Im getting some for mine but not sure which ones for the 44 30 set up. thanks keep the pics comin im diggin on this build !!!:chug:

Bill lookin good man, im diggin on the guage set up. My fuel and temp guage went wacky on my 75, the speedo and blinkers still work but not the fuel and temp, and they both stopped at the same time. Ive heard ground is usually the culprit. ? but back to your build, very clean man , very clean. When you ordered your u bolts for the axles where did you buy em from and what ones did you order if you can remember . Im getting some for mine but not sure which ones for the 44 30 set up. thanks keep the pics comin im diggin on this build !!!:chug:

75 Alive - Thanks man, I'm likin' the dash too. I think it's coming out pretty clean. I think on yours that checking the ground is a good place to start. Looking at the wiring diagram for those 2 gauges shows a interconnect between them. Could be the power coming into the fuel gauge is loose?

Anyway, the Ubolts are Black Diamond, that I got from Quadratec, for 72 - 75 CJ. Hope that helps.

right on man, thanks for the poop . Like I said I dig this build. Oh and it may have been answered already but I was wondering if you just did the seals on your Transfer Case or rebuilt the whole thing ? :notworthy:

Just seals - everything else was in good shape.

Bill, I like to keep checking in and looking at what you have done and dream that someday I may have the time and the coin. For now my old 76 just gets a part here and there, maybe a good washing to keep off the dust. Great work Bro keep it up!

Richard -

It's a funny thing about time and money. You always find something to spend them on :rolleyes:

I went on the Rubicon with a buddy of mine in his 70 something Bronco in about 1977 and since then have always wanted a Jeep. I was always too busy with other stuff (work) and didn't want to spend the money. About 10 years ago, when I hit 50, I started thinking I was beginning to run out of time to do some of the things I wanted to do. I bought my 1st motorcycle about 8 years ago and when the CJ came up I jumped on it. Can't wait to get it finished and out on the back roads and trails, but I'm really enjoying building this thing.

All I can say is "Your doing it right!!" On every CJ build I've done it always ends up being more involved than I planned but when finished you know what you have - not another persons cobble this, jury rig that. I love watching great builds on this site and you got one going on. Keep it up and keep posting, a lot of us will be watching.

Bill,
got a few questions, perhaps several as time goes. I done pretty much the same thing with the sandblasting and all. I even rebulit the original AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , but before I put the body back on I decided to install a 350 small block, got less money in it than the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l (go figure).

This has been on going project but don't dare say how long, most folks wouldn't beleive because of my age, or think I wasn't capable because of it.

I no longer have the original body, figured I would buy a new one or find one in much better shape, however you wouldn't believe the progress of the frame, springs and axles, all black and orange powder coated.

Without the body present and the loss of my notes not sure if the tranny needs to stay in its factory location or move forward, also the T-14 shaft nose is 1 1/2 inches longer coming off the 350 bell housing so I had my cousins machine an adaptor that will bolt both together out of T6 alum, Question: will the body fit over bell hosuing in this original location, or do I need to find one assembled and meassure? Also the rear distribotor makes we wonder if it will interfere with the firewall?

Without the body present and the loss of my notes not sure if the tranny needs to stay in its factory location or move forward, also the T-14 shaft nose is 1 1/2 inches longer coming off the 350 bell housing so I had my cousins machine an adaptor that will bolt both together out of T6 alum, Question: will the body fit over bell hosuing in this original location, or do I need to find one assembled and meassure? Also the rear distribotor makes we wonder if it will interfere with the firewall?

Cole - Not sure if I'm the guy to ask. I'm not that technical and I'm going back with the original AMC 304 that I already know fits. I don't think the 350 is much different in size than the AMC 304 , but I think you are right about being concerned with the rear distributor interfering with the firewall. You might want to post your question in the Drive Train section and see if you can get an answer from someone who has already made this swap.

Good Luck - Bill :chug:

Driving it yet Bill???

:laugh: I'm not that fast! and sometimes I actually have to do work to make a living :rolleyes:.

And then there's the one step forward, two steps back problem. I was getting the engine ready to drop back in. Flywheel on, old pilot bushing out. Had to tap the new pilot bushing in with a hammer but didn't think it went in too hard. Positioned the clutch with the locator tool that came with the clutch and bolted the pressure plate on. Went to pull the locator tool out and it seemed a bit tighter than when I put it in. In fact it was a lot tighter and I really had to apply a lot of pressure to get it out, but it really didn't dawn on me that I had a problem until I went to mate the tranny up. The input shaft wouldn't slip into the pilot bushing. :bang:

I never heard of a pilot bushing shrinking before and I test fit everything before putting it together and it was fine. Anyway, it's all back apart now. I'm going to try to hone the bushing out enough so that the input shaft slides in. Hope it works?

Some days I feel like a complete rookie at this. I am, but it still hurts the pride a bit. I borrowed a small cylinder hone from my, now, good friend Tim who owns the local NAPA store, and honed out the pilot bushing so the input shaft on the tranny would slide in. Tested it by sliding the input shaft in, so I know it fit and then put everything back together. Bolted the bell housing on and went to mount the tranny.

The *#!&$ thing still wouldn't slide in. Pulled everything back apart. Tried to slide the clutch plate onto the input shaft and it wouldn't go on (thought I'd checked that???). HMMM, must be the wrong clutch, so I boxed it all back up and headed down to NAPA. Tim checked the computer and it says it's the same clutch from 69 to 86, and did I measure the shaft. Should be 1 1/8" - 10 spline. Tim asks me if I have the old clutch so he can check the size of the hole and I say I'll go get it. So I get home grab the old clutch and just for giggles go to slide it on the shaft and sonvagun, it don't slide on either. What the heck??? So I grab the tranny and haul the whole mess back down to the parts store. So Tim measures the input shaft and it's exactly what it should be. He starts looking at the end of the splines on the shaft, and sure enough, a couple of the splines are dinged just enough that it was preventing the clutch from sliding on the shaft. Guess my old eyes just aren't what they used to be. I didn't see it until Tim pointed it out. Must have happened when the tranny was gone through.

Got the little rough edges filed off and tested to make sure the clutch slides on. Hopefully that's the last glitch and I can get it all together and the engine in this weekend. And I gotta give a big Thanks to Tim at the Arnold NAPA store. He has been a huge help in this whole process so far.

So I guess that 3rd times a charm with me. After getting the dings in the splines on the end of the input shaft filed down and test fitting everything again, I re-assembled the clutch, pressure plate and bell housing. The tranny slide right in just like it was supposed to.

Got a couple of more things bolted on to the engine (after some swearing and re-threading) and went to drop the engine back in the frame. About 1/2 way into it, I realized I didn't have the boom on the hoist out far enough to place the engine where it goes. Had to support the engine temporarily to get the weight off the hoist so I could slide the boom out :bang:

Anyway, finally got it almost in place. I've got to jack up the tranny end to finish getting the motor mounts lined up, but it's almost there.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom