Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild

Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild
As a Dale Earnhardt fan myself I have to say that is pretty cool. :cool:

:notworthy:

Dang Bill that's SWEET!

:notworthy:

~ JR

Pete & JR - Thanks guys :chug: I'm definitely liking the way it's coming together. The camo is taking a lot of time. I got some stencil material from the paint store. It works great, but it only works once, so for each 3 it takes a new stencil.

Bill

Still not quite finished with the camo, want to add a few more 3's on the hood area. Ran out of stencil material, so I need to get some more before I can finish. Started mounting lights, corner guards, etc. where the paint is finished though and it's starting to look like a complete jeep again. These pics were from last weekend. Since then I've got the seats in and the dash wired and installed. Working on getting the steering column in. Will post up some more photos soon.

Still not quite finished with the camo, want to add a few more 3's on the hood area. Ran out of stencil material, so I need to get some more before I can finish. Started mounting lights, corner guards, etc. where the paint is finished though and it's starting to look like a complete jeep again. These pics were from last weekend. Since then I've got the seats in and the dash wired and installed. Working on getting the steering column in. Will post up some more photos soon.

:)Looks pretty sharp..............your doing a nice job.:notworthy:
What size wheels and tires?
:D:D:D:D

All I can say is WOW. You have done an awsome job rebuilding your Jeep. The two thing I like most are how you did your dash I love the white face gauges and the paint. I don't know how you came up with that but it turned out way cool. I take my hat off to you friend :notworthy:

Wow, just spent over an hour going through this entire post. This is really great :notworthy: Very inspirational for me as my 78 sits broken down in the driveway... Keep it up, I am excited to see the final!

tarry99, mtnwhlr, & Wiersmat - Thanks guys :chug: I really appreciate the encouragement.

tarry99 - the wheels are 8x15's. I think they were a stock option on the 75. The tires are BFG KM2 Mud Terrains 33x12.5.

As far as how I came up with the paint scheme, I was looking at camo paint on the internet and found a photo of a Jeep that was done with a repeating skull pattern and I thought why not do it with 3's.

Here's some pics from this morning showing the seats, dash and steering column installed. Unfortunately when I originally fit the steering column I didn't have the ignition switch mounted on the column, so I didn't notice that part of it where the wiring plugs in was going to be blocked by the supporting bracket. :bang: So I'm going to have to pull it back apart and see if I can come up with a fix.

tarry99, mtnwhlr, & Wiersmat - Thanks guys :chug: I really appreciate the encouragement.

tarry99 - the wheels are 8x15's. I think they were a stock option on the 75. The tires are BFG KM2 Mud Terrains 33x12.5.

As far as how I came up with the paint scheme, I was looking at camo paint on the internet and found a photo of a Jeep that was done with a repeating skull pattern and I thought why not do it with 3's.

Here's some pics from this morning showing the seats, dash and steering column installed. Unfortunately when I originally fit the steering column I didn't have the ignition switch mounted on the column, so I didn't notice that part of it where the wiring plugs in was going to be blocked by the supporting bracket. :bang: So I'm going to have to pull it back apart and see if I can come up with a fix.

:)Thanks for the info on the tires.............Thought maybe your a Dale Earnhardt Fan.......#3 an all!

:)Thanks for the info on the tires.............Thought maybe your a Dale Earnhardt Fan.......#3 an all!

Yep - big Earnhardt fan. Think I'm also going to stencil "Intimidator" on each side of the hood :rolleyes:

Very nice build, Bill. I used to own a 75 CJ5 , and checking out your pics of the teardown and rebuild has brought back a lot of memories of working on it. Would likely do mine very much like yours, only this time I'm thinking a CJ7 .

Great Job Bill!

Have you checked the seat height with the roll bar in place?

I hit my head on the roll bars (side to side) sometimes, and am a little scared of a "roll-over" bashing my head side to side like a ping pong ball... I know the fix, just dont roll it... :laugh:

I really love the way the seats look in there though! Looks awesome! Dash too! :beer: :notworthy:

And nice wheels and tires! lol (they look familiar!)

:chug:
~ JR

Trucklocker - Thanks man :chug:
JR - I think I'm OK on the seats and roll cage, but in a roll over, who knows? Guess that's why you put padding on the bars :rolleyes:. Or... you could always wear a helmet and a HANS device if you knew you were going to get too extreme :D. Anyway the seats are what were in it. They're pretty decent seats and really didn't want to spend the bucks for something else.

Hoping to get this thing running and on the road soon, then I can start working out all the rest of the bugs.

Bill :chug:

Incredible Bill:eek:

I'm just getting started with a "frame off" project on my '81 and discovered this thread which will help immensely -thank you!! Great work!

I strongly encourage you to consider modifying your plan to make this a trail rig right off the bat - with your documentation and outstanding efforts it would surely win a few shows before you start working on the "racing stripes" from the trail...

I'm looking forward to the launch and expect to revisit this thread often in the next few months, or years...

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Hoping to get this thing running and on the road soon, then I can start working out all the rest of the bugs.

I cant wait either!

You'll have to take a trip down (over?) to Elk Grove when shes reliable enough! I can't wait to see this thing! (In person) ;)

~ JR

Great Job Bill!

Have you checked the seat height with the roll bar in place?

I hit my head on the roll bars (side to side) sometimes, and am a little scared of a "roll-over" bashing my head side to side like a ping pong ball... I know the fix, just dont roll it... :laugh:

~ JR

Good thing you have a hard head isn't it lol :chug:

Tim - Thanks for the kind words. I seem to have found the patience to keep at this thing. Was kinda hoping to have it ready for a local show this weekend, but maybe next year. Anyway good luck with your 81.

JR - Hey buddy you can always make a run down here anytime. It's only a couple hours. Lot's of good wheeling around and I'd be happy to buy you a cold one at the local Moose lodge.

Bill :chug:

PS - Got the modification done to the steering column and pedal support bracket so that the plugs will go into the ignition switch and got it all reinstalled. So now I'm back to where I was at a week ago. If I could stop making 2 steps back for every one forward maybe I could get this thing finished :rolleyes:

So where was I? Oh yeah - got the bracket that holds the pedals and the steering column cut out so that the plugs would fit into the ignition block. Got everything repainted and reinstalled. Then fabbed up a seal to go around the column at the firewall. Then received some more parts and got the front & side marker lights installed. Worked on the wiring a bit and am just about done with it except for under the hood. Ran tubing up from the axle and tc breathers and got those up as high as I could.

Then I've ordered a bunch of parts - Borgeson lower steering shaft, Rock Equipment complete tie rod flip kit, header gaskets, Stage 8 header bolts, wiper arms, wipers, silcon based grease for the poly bushings, and a bunch of other misc. stuff.

It's getting close, but I still got a list of things to finish that's about 2 feet long.

This past weekend I stripped, cleaned and painted the roll cage and got it installed. Eventually I want to come up with a way to attach it to the frame, but for now its bolted to the tub.

JR - I sat in it and the cage is a good 3 inches above my head. You must be taller than me or your seats sit higher :rolleyes:

I added a bar across behind the seats to attach the shoulder harnesses to and bolted that down with the roll cage. Not sure if the angle on the harnesses is exactly right, but I think it works better than bolting them down to the floor of the tub like they were when I got it.

I took my old radiator by a shop in Sonora to get it checked out and as I suspected it was toast. So I bought a new one and am in the process of trying to come up with a way to mount it. Hoping to come up with something a little cleaner than what the PO had come up with :D

This past weekend I stripped, cleaned and painted the roll cage and got it installed. Eventually I want to come up with a way to attach it to the frame, but for now its bolted to the tub.

:)billy, Nice Job....................I sent you a PM with some pictures of what I'm doing to attache the cage to the frame.

Your Jeep is looking good!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom