brake lights not working...

derekcj5

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 AMC304 T150 Dana 30/Aussie Locker Model 20/Trac Lock

1941 Willy's MB
alright guys, brake lights quit workin on me. where do i start figuring out this conundrum? I'm not the best at electrical BS but i can hold my own with a circuit tester... turn signals and taillghts both work, just no brake lights. Thanks guys

alright guys, brake lights quit workin on me. where do i start figuring out this conundrum? I'm not the best at electrical BS but i can hold my own with a circuit tester... turn signals and taillghts both work, just no brake lights. Thanks guys
The switch is under the dash, it is depressed by the peddle itself up close to the pivot. Usually when the switch goes it stays on and runs the battery down .

I am not going to tell you what a Bi*** this is to reach I am going to let you experience it for your self and report back, just so I know I didn't hallucinate the whole painful experience. If you can't find it I can send pictures of what it looks like and where it is.:cool:

Please make sure both brake light bulbs are not blown... I have seen it before. :(

First I would check the connectors at the steering column, sometimes they work themselves lose, then I would check the grounds. Obviously after you ruled out all the easy checks like burnt bulbs, fuses, etc.

Here's a simple sketch looks like from the fuse to the stop switch at pedal to multi-switch i presume turn signal switch to the lites
Mike

but isnt the brake filament the same one that works the turn signals??

ok so heres the skinny.... bulbs are all good, not sure if the switch works or not, but thats besides the point, because i have no power to the switch at the pink or orange wires... where does this tie in to the harness?i should have power at one of these at all times right? i mean after i unplug it from the switch? with the hey in the on position

the brake lights work without the key. and yes the brake and turn signal is the same filament.
You have checked the fuse right.
check where it comes out of the fusebox on the firewall and see if you have power there.

yeah ive checked the fuses under my dash, not sure which one controls the brake switch, but they are all good regardless... like i said the blinkers and the tails both work, and while were on the subject, my reverse lights dont work either never have so what gives here?

If you can't read your fuse box, maybe someone here can tell you which one it is. I have a 83 so mine is different .

well its been done with a painless harness, all is new, but there isnt one labeled for taillights, just turns and headlights

well its been done with a painless harness, all is new, but there isnt one labeled for taillights, just turns and headlights

You mean brake lights don't you?

brakes or tallights... neither are labeled

If you can't read your fuse box, maybe someone here can tell you which one it is. I have a 83 so mine is different .
Of the three fuses in a row across the top of the fuse block the tail/stop lights are the third from the left.
Did you check the switch?? see if the little white button still moves.:cool:
if you start on the top right corner and go down and from left to right the fuses are as follows. Heater,hazzard, Power tailgate (I know you don't have one, its just a hole with no fuse),tail/stop lights, PNL lts, wind shield wiper motor, Power tail gate ( that sucker must take some serious amperage), B/u lps, clstr feed.
These are the labels according to the FSM I wrote the letters just as they appear so if clstr feed means nothing to you I can't help, cluster feed? :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom