Camshaft Gear TDC

Camshaft Gear TDC

lrentz

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ-7
78 CJ7 with a AMC 304 . I am replacing a broken timing chain and I have a gear that does not have a dot on it. It does however have what appears to be CL1 on it that closely aligns with the keyway on the camshaft. Is that CL1 pointing to TDC of Cylinder 1.

I was told that usually the dot or TDC would align with the key way. That is consistent on the camshaft gear however it is not with my crankshaft. The dot on the crankshaft gear is definitely not aligned with the key way.

Thanks,

lrentz

Thanks, I have found what I believe to be the "O" mark. Its very faint though. That why I thought the mark was actually the CL1.

Let us know if you need any help... The timing on an AMC V8 can be confusing! Did the PDF I referenced help?

Yes, I will make use of the PDF this weekend. I still wish I knew for darn sure that I was identifying the little "o" mark correctly. Compared to the "O" mark on the crank shaft gear. They are completely different. On the camshaft gear it is a very light stamping. I mean it is so faint. The gear looks good though. ON the crank shaft gear there is no doubt where the "o" mark is.

Did you see what I meant about the CL1 on the picture?

lrentz

Don't worry about the marks. Line up the key ways and count the links... You should be fine if you do that...

The "O" marking on the crank shaft is not aligned with the keyway. So are you saying that as long as I align the keyways that everything will line up correctly?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom