CJ-7 TO CJ-8 Conversion?

CJ-7 TO CJ-8 Conversion?

Vvajk

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 4.2L inline six, T-5 Tranny, Dana 300 2 stick T-case, AMC 20 rear axle, limited slip diffs.
Eventually, I'll be restoring the body on my 84 CJ7 , including a new tub.

But, suddenly the thought just occurred to me; how hard would it be to buy a CJ8 body tub and convert it over? The wheel base is 10" longer so I know I'd be looking at a longer rear drive shaft and brake lines at least. Any ideas on what this project would entail beyond that? I'm wondering if everything else would just basically bolt right up. I suppose the frame would be different too?

Any thoughts?

Yep you are going to have to also ad 10 inches to the frame so you would have to chop it and weld in an extension in the frame which should be considered a big deal. also your top wont fit any more. Also as you mentioned fuel,brake,and e brake lines will have to be replaced and your rear driveshaft. :chug:

Just buy an 8, then you'll have one of each.:chug: Probably for less than what it would cost for what your considering:p

Have you ever seen the video by Rick Russell named the "AJ 8"?
basically he builds a Jeep with all aftermarket parts from scratch
He uses a bobbed CJ8 frame set up for modern coil spring suspension, and puts on a CJ8 body.

Well what I am saying, if you are going to get a new tub anyway, get the CJ8 body, but before building up that CJ7 , and spending the money for all the stuff you are going to, go get the video and check it out. A CJ8 frame, with either suspension, new would be a great place to start. You already have a title and I guarantee no one but a jeeper would be able to tell you it was not a CJ7 . There are more Jeeps running around with titles from different years or makes than you could shake a stick at.

here
DVD AJ-8

Last edited:
Thanks for all the insight guys. The main thing probably holding me back is the frame issue, and the hardtop issue. . . I gotta have a hardtop in Idaho. Like some of you said, I'd probably be better off and cheaper in the long run to just get an 8 some day and have both. It's still kinda tempting though, I gotta admit.

Have you ever seen the video by Rick Russell named the "AJ 8"?
basically he builds a Jeep with all aftermarket parts from scratch
He uses a bobbed CJ8 frame set up for modern coil spring suspension, and puts on a CJ8 body.

Well what I am saying, if you are going to get a new tub anyway, get the CJ8 body, but before building up that CJ7 , and spending the money for all the stuff you are going to, go get the video and check it out. A CJ8 frame, with either suspension, new would be a great place to start. You already have a title and I guarantee no one but a jeeper would be able to tell you it was not a CJ7 . There are more Jeeps running around with titles from different years or makes than you could shake a stick at.

here
DVD AJ-8

A coil spring suspension Huh, that pretty sweet. I was trying to google cjs with coild suspension the other day but couldnt find anything. You would think that someone by now would have made a Cj conversion kit... It would have to be weld on of course but the biggest thing is figuring out the Geometry which would be taking care of if someone had a kit...

A coil spring suspension Huh, that pretty sweet. I was trying to google cjs with coild suspension the other day but couldnt find anything. You would think that someone by now would have made a Cj conversion kit... It would have to be weld on of course but the biggest thing is figuring out the Geometry which would be taking care of if someone had a kit...

There's a 4X4 custom shop here in my area and I met a guy who works there who was driving an 81 CJ7 around with Dana 60s front and rear and a spring coil suspension. One of these days I'm gonna drive on down to their shop and ask them about it.

I researched it once, there are some websites that have some info and a few with it all, now it is important to get it all, and it seems s soon as you lift, you are destroying it all. I think that maybe it is a trial and era as so many lifts are. I know with my TJ, I went through several of the Big companies Lifts, RE, Terra. etc because they did not handle enough of the geometry issues to handle correctly. Finally ended up with Nth, but they are out of business now.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom