Build Thread CJ5 Hardtop budget build. (converted CJ7 hard top)

Build Thread CJ5 Hardtop budget build. (converted CJ7 hard top)
Very interesting and inspirational build, Al. Thanks for taking us along.:notworthy:

Glad I found this, wish I saw it a year ago after my failed attempt at it. It wasnt a total failure though, i bought the top for 20 and sold it for 100.

This thread is the sole reason for me to join here. This buildup is complete and, due to the complete documentation, within the realm of nearly anybody who has a little ingenuity and fabrication skills. I am actually currently looking for a top for my jeep. Now I'm trying to decide between a fastback soft top, or go for the custom hard top...

Digger,
QUALITY fabbing, Sir. Looks like a factory door.

I was considering this exact route for my CJ5 , till I found an CJ5 ACME complete, with nice glass, some repair, for a song on CL.

If I might, a quick suggestion for anyone fabbing panels for fiberglass. Use pink or blue home insulating foam board. Little easier to shape than plywood, especially if you don't have a woodshop to use. Comes in 3"+ thick sheets(and I'm sure thicker), if needed. It cuts easy, shapes easy, and is VERY light and STRONG when glassed and reinforced properly.

Coat thinly with regular bondo. Scuff, glass and resin over it. Most useful thing I have ever discovered modifying and fabbing fiberglass panels.

Anyways, hope this helps. And thanks for showing yer skills. Looks GREAT! ::chug:

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom