Clutch Questions

Clutch Questions

myfirstcj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ5 - 258ci, T176 4speed, Stock for now!!!
Hellow everyone, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I just bought my CJ5 a few months ago and I'm having a few issues. It is a '83 model with a 258ci and a T-176 Transmission . The engine is not the right engine, it has to be out of an older jeep, I think its a '76 because thats what is stamped on the intake. And it doesnt have the electronic ignition and has a one barrel carb. I think the Transmission is correct for this year model. My problem is with the clutch, I can start it in gear and drive and shift it. But I can not shft into gear with it running and sittin still. Does this mean I need a new clutch or just out of adjustment. And if I need a new clutch what do I use to get the correct one the engine or the Transmission . Thanks, and sorry but I've only had one truck that was a standerd and never had to replace the clutch.

Helo myfirstcj, and welcome to the site! :chug:

I would first adjust the clutch - move the rod out (longer) a turn at a time. See if it shifts better. If you get to where the clutch slips and it still doesn't shift correctly - let us know so we can diagnose your problem more.

The adjuster is all the way out. But it still wont go in gear while its running, the clutch does keep the jeep from moving when you start it in gear but as soon as u let out just a lil on the clutch pedal the jeep stats going.

Sounds like the clutch needs replacing. What happens if you shift into 2nd or 3rd at a slow speed and gun it? Does it slip? If so, the clutch need to be changed out.

My guess is the throw-out bearing; if it shifts with the motor not running and does not shift when running that can be a sympton. If it is the throw-out bearing you might as well replace the clutch while you have it apart.

Last edited:
Havn't noticed any slipping. Ok so when I replace it do I use the trasmission year model or the engine, because it shows two different sizes. It shows an 11" for the 83 model and a 10.5" for the 76 model

When you press on the clutch pedal can you tell when the clutch completely disengages? If you press in all the way do you think the clutch still drags? If so CJ was on the right track with the clutch needing adjusting. If you extended the adjuster all the way out and it still isn't far enough then the clutch linkages may be overly worn. Parts 1, 6 and 7 may be worn. Parts 1 and 7 fit into holes into part 6. Check these holes to see if they are oblong. Also Part 6 has bushings (part 18) on each end. Check part 6 for free play.
clutchparts-cj.jpg

No the clutch doesn't disengage completly when pressed. I also dont think anything is worn out on the clutch linkage, but I'll check this weekend when I get back home. Is a clutch worn out when it doesn't disengage anymore or is it when it just slips and will not pull anymore?

yes:D

for real I would think not disengaging would be the bearing and slipping would be disk and/or pressure plate. Is this something that just started??

No the clutch doesn't disengage completly when pressed. I also dont think anything is worn out on the clutch linkage, but I'll check this weekend when I get back home. Is a clutch worn out when it doesn't disengage anymore or is it when it just slips and will not pull anymore?

I basically bought it like that, so I dont know how long its been like that.

here is another question. what weight and kind of gear lube are you using in the transmision??:cool:

The Transmission is going to dictate the clutch you need since the input shaft has a set number of splines for the clutch to fit on. It sounds like you will be taking the tranny out anyway to replace the clutch, so unless you are in a hurry, you can just get one that matches what is in there. It sounds to me like the clutch is your problem. A bad throw out bearing usually makes a racket when it goes and you have not mentioned that. The clutch mechanism, bell crank etc. is also specific to the year jeep and if you have made the adjustments there, then that also points to a bad clutch. When the PO starts mixing and matching without keeping track of what they've done, it plays heck on the buyers. If you are like most of us though, you grin and bear it, drop some more money in, and move on. Getting out and using it makes up for the frustration of making it trail ready. Welcome to Jeep. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Tommy

Thanks alot guys, guess I'm gonna be puttin my first clutch in petty soon. Anything I need to be aware of when I do this?

point blank!
Have you dropped a tranny before? got jack stands, floor jack, flat hard surface to work on??:cool:

Thanks alot guys, guess I'm gonna be puttin my first clutch in petty soon. Anything I need to be aware of when I do this?

Yep, takin it apart is not gonna be a prob, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything out of the ordinary to it.

I like to take down and put up in two pieces, split the tranny and TC. It is guite a bit lighter and balances a whole lot better.
I have two 4 inch bolts with no head of the same size and thread as the two bottom bolts that hold the tranny to the bell housing. I put then in position and slide the tranny on them rather than trying to line up the input shaft. They are a lot easier to hit than a pilot bushing and you don't feel bad about hanging the Transmission from them. The input shaft just lines right up, give the output shaft a twist to line up the splines (don't forget to leave it in gear before you put it under) and "click" it's a done deal.
This is everything I know about swapping a Transmission .:cool:

Love the two 4inch bolt idea. Takes all the guess work out of lining things up. Thanks IO.

Tommy

that one alone is worth a case of beer.:chug:

Love the two 4inch bolt idea. Takes all the guess work out of lining things up. Thanks IO.

Tommy

Well I got out there this weekend and decided to check the linkage, just in case, and wouldn't you know it, where the linkage bolts to the front of the tranny, the bolts had backed out about an inch. So I tighted them up and good as new. Thanks for everyones help on this one.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom