Crackling in 2nd Gear

Is it a slight grind as you shift to 2nd? Does it happen going from 3rd to 2nd?

Is it a slight grind as you shift to 2nd? Does it happen going from 3rd to 2nd?

There's actually no grind just a crackling sound. It only does it when upshifting but goes away after about 5 minutes. It started after having all the fluids changed a few weeks ago. Wrong weight lube in the transfer case, or is this a synchro issue?

My first thought was synchro, but a crackle...hmm.
I'm sure someone else will chime in. Do you know what weight fluid and what kind was used?

You do not want gl-5 in the trans. you need gl-4. 80-90 is right
Have no idea about a clacklin noise.

Yup GL-5 has been known to cause issues, there are several topics on it.
That could be it, do a search for gl-5 tranny issues on google.

Yup GL-5 has been known to cause issues, there are several topics on it.
That could be it, do a search for gl-5 tranny issues on google.

Thanks for replies gentlemen. I'm employed part time at www.xtremejeep.com as a detailer. One technician there has been working on Jeeps since the mid 60's and his specialty is CJ's all the way back to the MB's and GPW's. I'll have the crackling sound diagnosed by him tomorrow. Thanks again.

For the past few weeks or so I've noticed first thing in the morning or when my '86 has sat for a few hours, when I shift into 2nd from 1st it makes a crackling sound. After about 5 minutes of driving it's fine. I have the Dana 300 and T-5 BTW. An easy fix or something expensive?
Hello Renegade86 and welcome to the site! :chug:

As you know diagnosing a trans problem without actually 'hearing' the sound is very difficult... Usually a sound such as that is from an internal problem. I did work on a T-5 once that was similar to your problem. The shift from 1st to 2nd If I remember correctly) was clunky and sometimes had a sharp sound. It went away after the trans warmed up.

It ended up being a small crack in the slider, when the metal expanded it stopped making the noise.

Hello Renegade86 and welcome to the site! :chug:

As you know diagnosing a trans problem without actually 'hearing' the sound is very difficult... Usually a sound such as that is from an internal problem. I did work on a T-5 once that was similar to your problem. The shift from 1st to 2nd If I remember correctly) was clunky and sometimes had a sharp sound. It went away after the trans warmed up.

It ended up being a small crack in the slider, when the metal expanded it stopped making the noise.

Good Morning "CJ" :notworthy: and thanks for the welcome. First off, this is a really nice site you've created with very friendly and knowledgable members. I already feel like I'm amongst family. My first thought regarding the noise was incorrect fluid in the tc since it started just after having all of my fluids changed and it goes away within minutes of a cold start. Didn't even think about the slider. I'll mention that tomorrow when I have the problem diagnosed. Thanks again. It is great being here.

Good Morning "CJ" :notworthy: and thanks for the welcome. First off, this is a really nice site you've created with very friendly and knowledgable members. I already feel like I'm amongst family.~~~
Thank you very much for that compliment - it really means quite allot! And with new and eager members such as yourself joining we will only get better!

Keep us up to date on this trans... :)

Thank you very much for that compliment - it really means quite allot! And with new and eager members such as yourself joining we will only get better!

Keep us up to date on this trans... :)

Will do sir and you're very welcome! For some reason (at least to me), other forums don't seem "CJ Friendly" or have that personable down to earth feel because they're so large and global and full of egos. Hopefully this forum will retain it's "small town" atmosphere where everbody knows everbody and posts have reponses within minutes not days or weeks.

Will do sir and you're very welcome! For some reason (at least to me), other forums don't seem "CJ Friendly" or have that personable down to earth feel because they're so large and global and full of egos. Hopefully this forum will retain it's "small town" atmosphere where everbody knows everbody and posts have reponses within minutes not days or weeks.
I have to :) at this comment! You hit exactly on why I created this site! I can't promise a 'minute' response but I can say that all will get responded to... Take a look at my post count... I'm kinda involved with making sure everyone gets a reply, even if I don't know the answer I do try and find it... :)

I can't promise the personal level from me forever but I will say that I expect the level to continue for along time from our members... CJers are a different breed... :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks