Dana 300 shifting problems

Dana 300 shifting problems

Rammie

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7, 258, 4-speed
Ok guys so I just bought a Dana 300 without a shifting lever. I opened it up and everything looks great. My question is how hard is it to shift the forks with a pry bar?? It’s in neutral right now and if I pry on the links to go in 4H only the front catches. I can see it almost catching the rear when I pry but not enough to spin it. So is it suppose to be this hard to shift without the lever ??

Ok guys so I just bought a Dana 300 without a shifting lever. I opened it up and everything looks great. My question is how hard is it to shift the forks with a pry bar?? It’s in neutral right now and if I pry on the links to go in 4H only the front catches. I can see it almost catching the rear when I pry but not enough to spin it. So is it suppose to be this hard to shift without the lever ??

it can be a bear to shift by hand. needs lube and also rotating it back and forth can help get it in gear

Agree it can be a bear. I completely broke mine down and rebuilt it. When I finished, I attempted to shift it by striking the shift rods individually with a hammer and then pulling them back (I stuck a screw driver in the holes at the ends and yanked).

I noticed it would go into gear, but after I lubed everything properly, resealed the bottom cover and filled it with fluid and worked the gears around a bit, I was able to shift much smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree it can be a bear. I completely broke mine down and rebuilt it. When I finished, I attempted to shift it by striking the shift rods individually with a hammer and then pulling them back (I stuck a screw driver in the holes at the ends and yanked).

I noticed it would go into gear, but after I lubed everything properly, resealed the bottom cover and filled it with fluid and worked the gears around a bit, I was able to shift much smoother.

Thanks for the tips. Im going to replace all the seals on mine. Once I finnish with that ill lube everything up and give it a try. Thanks again.

Look at Novak, they have a few options for rebuild kits for the Dana. Great customer service. If you don’t see something on their website just call them. The guys who answer the phone definitely know a thing or two about Jeeps and can also just get you the parts you want without fitting you out with a big rebuild kit.

Thank you Gert! i just wanted to be sure i wasn't crazy. I'll try and look at it more this afternoon.

I rebuilt my D300 and had a helluva time shifting it on the bench I thought I screwed something up myself shifting it in the vehicle is much better

I rebuilt my D300 and had a helluva time shifting it on the bench I thought I screwed something up myself shifting it in the vehicle is much better

Okay Perfect! makes me feel 10x Better. I bought this TC from a guy, that said it was rebuilt just has been sitting in his garage for over a year. When i opened it up everything looked awesome. Bearings felt smooth no noise, gears were nice! All i plan on doing is replacing the seals (From it sitting so long). I plan on making a build thread soon. I'm swapping a 5.3 with an AX15 in my jeep, Basically have everything now just starting to put it together!

Okay Perfect! makes me feel 10x Better. I bought this TC from a guy, that said it was rebuilt just has been sitting in his garage for over a year. When i opened it up everything looked awesome. Bearings felt smooth no noise, gears were nice! All i plan on doing is replacing the seals (From it sitting so long). I plan on making a build thread soon. I'm swapping a 5.3 with an AX15 in my jeep, Basically have everything now just starting to put it together!

I think that will be a nice Combo myself

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom