Build Thread drivert builds a Jeep

Build Thread drivert builds a Jeep
I pressure washed my jeep four seperate times! I would put the body aside and concentrate on the frame, motor, tranny, suspension. It can be overwelming at first. Pick an item for the day and work on just that one item till it's the way you want it. Say for instance the tranny. Clean it up good check the oil paint if thats what you want. Also harbor frieght is cheap place for some things. I have quite a few tools from them. Some of their stuff is not good quality though.

Thats kinda what I been doing. Our local Rural King store carries a cheaper line of tools, or Walmart:eek: I do buy a better grade when it's something that might kill me if it breaks.

finished brake replacement (minus e-brake and adjuster cable that was missing) on driver rear. pulled passenger rear and found a finned brake drum. checked the other 2 and they were non-finned. why in the world would someone replace one brake drum and not match it up with the others? the second pic is the paint scheme i plan on using. its desert camo made black and white. not sure if i want to go flat or semi-gloss

pulled passenger rear and found a finned brake drum. checked the other 2 and they were non-finned. why in the world would someone replace one brake drum and not match it up with the others?
The po probley screwed on up and went to a junkyard and just took the first one he found that would work.

somebody make me feel better and tell me functioning running gear and a slightly rough but running AMC 304 is worth $1850 no matter what else is wrong with it

You bought a classic if this was easy everybody would be doing it. This is what makes it fun bringing a Jeep back from the dead and being proud of it because not just anybody can do it. Hang in there it gets better :chug:

somebody make me feel better and tell me functioning running gear and a slightly rough but running AMC 304 is worth $1850 no matter what else is wrong with it
It's worth $1850.

Frame build started today. Went and bought me one of them fancy mig welders. My plan was to weld the rails together, attach the bumpers, cut some hangers and start removing the rear end and attach it to my new frame. 6 hours later I had a big steel rectangle, nothing else. Trying to line everything up without a jig or perfectly flat surface is a HUGE pita. 420 measurements, 316 re-measurements
move,adjust, move again. Finally, after getting it as square as I could I started welding.

note to self: welded metal remains hot for a very long time

pause for application of aloe gel

I haven't welded in quite some time so you're not going to see any close up pics of my welds, but I didn't do bad.

Yet another day of welding up my frame. I had borrowed a chop saw to cut my tube but had the opportunity to borrow a plasma cutter. Tool from hell! :eek: I've seen it used many times, some life long metal worker effortlessly making perfectly straight, clean cuts. Me...not so much. I googled, asked friends etc. and still couldn't make a decent cut. Borrowed the chop saw again and got started. First trip to store...new chop saw blade. second trip to store (30 min later) new chop saw brushes. Finally got the pieces cut. Started welding. 15 minutes into it, third trip to store...welding wire. Maybe I should just be building this thing in the store parking lot.

attached pic is of the frame with the spring hangers attached. I must say I am loving my new mig welder.:D Still can't weld a consistent bead but damn i'm having fun. Just to check that the wire was cutting deep enough I welded some scrap together and beat hell out of it with a sledge hammer, it held :)

bonus: my girlfriend has a relative that works at the steel supply and will get me metal at cost!!!:cool::punk:

Drivert51,
One thing for sure you don't mind jumping in feet first! Thats a tough project even with the right tools & a shop. I like you drive & determination.
Keep up the good work.

note to self: welded metal remains hot for a very long time pause for application of aloe gel .[/QUOTE said:
yeah boy know all about that one. laid my elbow down on the mig gun. :eek: This is two weeks later. :eek: good thing chicks dig scars. :chug:

Frame build started today. Went and bought me one of them fancy mig welders. My plan was to weld the rails together, attach the bumpers, cut some hangers and start removing the rear end and attach it to my new frame. 6 hours later I had a big steel rectangle, nothing else. Trying to line everything up without a jig or perfectly flat surface is a HUGE pita. 420 measurements, 316 re-measurements
move,adjust, move again. Finally, after getting it as square as I could I started welding.

note to self: welded metal remains hot for a very long time

pause for application of aloe gel

I haven't welded in quite some time so you're not going to see any close up pics of my welds, but I didn't do bad.

Hell, only 420 measurments, 316 re-measurments...your a pro. Wait until your on third cut apart to re-re-remeasure...

seriously though it's lookin good! There is something to be said for crusing down the road or wheeling through some two tracks on a frame "YOU" built. I'll be watching. Dave

I thought it was a requirement to bleed when working on a jeep?

Ok, here's what i've done over the last few days. Wire wheeled the rims and flat blacked them. Worked on the spring hangers. Busted out the plasma torch (aka Satan) and cut the body in half, using from the front kick panel forward. Yelled at the breaker box in the house for being such a sissy and not handling the load. Pics to come this weekend.

Got a little work done today. Welded on the body mounts. Finished separating the tub. Removed the rear end and springs from the old frame, just need to drill some holes in the brackets and get some new bolts. A couple of the old ones were worn about 1/3 through. Going to borrow a cherry picker this week to pull the motor so I can take off the front suspension.

Getting a little ahead of myself...thinking about my new rollbar. What is the min size tubing that can be used? This jeep is not going to be hard core wheeled but I would like it safe enough in a crash on the highway. Also, do they make waterproof canvas, for when I make my own soft top?

Minimum size tubing? You probably need to do your own research on that subject.

In Drag Racing we use 1-5/8 x.083 chromoly for all the main hoops and rails. But that is also supported by several diagonals at different intersections and angles to cancel shear and load.
Not trying to talk you out of a DYI project but building a safe cage or Roll Bar is quite a science. Also If you don't have a tube bender at your disposal or the ability to notch the tube to make a proper fit its a real challenge.
Maybe you should look at the aftermarket kits in DOM mild steel that are pre-welded.

Minimum size tubing? You probably need to do your own research on that subject.

In Drag Racing we use 1-5/8 x.083 chromoly for all the main hoops and rails. But that is also supported by several diagonals at different intersections and angles to cancel shear and load.
Not trying to talk you out of a DYI project but building a safe cage or Roll Bar is quite a science. Also If you don't have a tube bender at your disposal or the ability to notch the tube to make a proper fit its a real challenge.
Maybe you should look at the aftermarket kits in DOM mild steel that are pre-welded.

thanks for the reply. i'm quite sure this would be the safe way to go but i am making some modifications that a standard rollbar kit wont fit. one thing is the rear part of the tub is going to be stretched about 6 inches.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom