Build Thread drivert builds a Jeep

Build Thread drivert builds a Jeep
the regular roll bar in the CJ is 2", chrome molly is very strong and very expensive. I would think 2" or maybe 1.5 " .120 wall would help keep your face off the asphalt. For the soft top, check out Sunbrella, it is used for boat tops.:D

Got a little work done today. Welded on the body mounts. Finished separating the tub. Removed the rear end and springs from the old frame, just need to drill some holes in the brackets and get some new bolts. A couple of the old ones were worn about 1/3 through. Going to borrow a cherry picker this week to pull the motor so I can take off the front suspension.

Getting a little ahead of myself...thinking about my new rollbar. What is the min size tubing that can be used? This jeep is not going to be hard core wheeled but I would like it safe enough in a crash on the highway. Also, do they make waterproof canvas, for when I make my own soft top?

Guess what I found out today...Just for fun I lined up a leaf spring with the mounts I welded on my new frame and BAM, they don't fit. :eek: I had read ALOT of articles about using the same tubing as what the frame was built of to make body mounts so I guess I thought hey, I can make spring hangers too. A smart man might have measured things first and saved himself a bunch of trouble. :censored: :bang: :pissed:

drivert,

I was wondering what you were doing? First thing I noticed was you never drilled them before hand?
Good news is you can still weld in some shims and no one except us will know the difference.

drivert,

I was wondering what you were doing? First thing I noticed was you never drilled them before hand?
Good news is you can still weld in some shims and no one except us will know the difference.

Actually they are too narrow. My solution is to weld plates on the outside of the hangers. this should give me the room i need. why didn't i drill them before hand? I didn't have access to a drill press at the time, i did have a welder. I have to work with what I have when I have it.

Tonight's festivities: pull the engine. Pretty straight forward process. It was a bit of a bear to push it up under the carport. Next step, remove the front end, clean it up and get me a rolling chassis.

Truth be told, I had my first "oh :dung:, what have I got myself into" thoughts tonight. Motor, tranny...lining everything up right, correct angles, planning so once I weld I get it right the first time...:eek:

Brief rundown of tools used so far.

3/8 socket set
1/2 socket set
box wrenches
screw drivers
wire cutters
hilift jack
jack stands
century 100 mig welder

(borrowed)
chop saw
plasma cutter aka 'satan'
1/2 drill
4 1/2 angle grinder (burned up)
cherry picker

I am Minimalist!!!

I remember this stage of the build, kinda makes suicide look appealing. Hang in there though and eventually .. a long, long, long, long .... time down you'll see an almost finished Jeep.. As far as the spring mounts don't worry, it took me a few attempts before I got them exactally (almost) where I want them. Keep it up, were all watching... Dave

finally got to do a little work today. Acquired more steel for the frame, started unhooking the front end so i can clean it up.

Cool.................keep it up.

Finally!! back to work on the jeep. Today I took the front end off the old frame. Kind of a trick when your jack stands are too short to just roll the damn thing out. No broken bolts but the shackle bolts were being a PITA!! I would give my left n** for an impact wrench because taking u-bolts off with a socket wrench sucks.

Howdy all! I'm making some progress on the Jeep since I got laid off last week. To date I have a rolling chassis with engine and tranny mounted. i have a concern that my yoke angles arent 100% even but since i dont have one of those angle finder thingies i guess any problem will rear its ugly head on the test drive. Today began the first day of fabbing up the body. i made a 1x1 tube box to mount the firewall/dash area of the old jeep. the radiator is just sitting between the frame rails for fit test, still need a mounting plate. this is kind of a 'fit as i go' thing. gaining 9 inches to the rear of the body (making more room for rear passengers) and about 6-8 inch (kinda intentional) stretch to the wheelbase. check out the pic, any questions just ask

Maybe I should just be building this thing in the store parking lot.

:laugh:

:popcorn: Looking good bud! Especially watching the frame build portion...

:D

:chug:
~ JR

Dilemma for the day. I am getting ready to mount the tub frame to the undercarriage.

First problem: getting the frame close enough to the motor so the hood reaches the radiator. I have some play since I can take off the fan and put on an electric. Problem is I seem to have too much fab stuff in the way to leave the section of dash mounted to the tub frame to fit it by sight and get it square to the frame.

Second problem: Rubber for tub mounts. I was doing to use 2x3 tube with a thin layer of rubber between the tub and frame but got to thinking a 2x3 or 3x3 block of rubber to take up the space.

Any thoughts on any of this would be greatly appreciated

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom