Drivetrain swap on a 76 CJ7

Drivetrain swap on a 76 CJ7

bailss

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 CJ7, 304, turbo 400 3spd, 2 inch lift, on 33's
Okay i am new here and need help. I have a 1976 CJ7 with a AMC 304 and 3 speed auto. Dana 30 front and AMC20 rear. It is a quadra-trac. It has a 2.5 rancho lift, disc brake conversion on the Dana 30 . I have a 95 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 H.O that has an automatic tranny. I drove it home, all it needs is a flex plate. How hard and expensive would it be to take the engine and tranny out of the grand to put into the tired and leaky AMC 304 that sucks the gas. I do know the drivelines line up on the passenger side.

please fire away and let me know what i am looking at? I have a fab guy that does great work at a reasonable price.:notworthy: I can add pics if needed as well.

Im guessing someone's already tackled this out there, my guess is it should be rather do-able. I see youve not had any replies here, have you googled this ?

I have googled it and not had much luck. I realize i may need to swap the rearend from the AMC20 to like a Dana 44 or something. The engine and Tranny should be fairly easy, but not sure on the computer stuff.

The 4.0L should bolt in, and youve got a donor, so you should not be chasing small parts. Im guessing the ZJ driveshaft comes straight out of the Transfer Case , so as you assume your off-set model 20 will need changing out.

You will have to fabricate a Transmission /Transfer Case mount, which is really not a big deal. Im guessing no one here on the site has done it, or at least not seen your post. You will also need to add a fuel pump, either in tank or on frame for the EFI, and the ECM wires, ect.. I think this is a popular YJ swap, not so much CJ, and that probably has more to do with how many YJs are still on the road vs. CJs.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom