Eaton Elocker vs. OX locker

Eaton Elocker vs. OX locker

83cjplz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
I've finally decided that I need to cowboy up and go through my highly-unsatisfactorily "rigged" '83 CJ7 . I've narrowed my differentials down to two choices since I will still be using her as a part-time commuter. If anyone has had any experience with either the Eaton Elocker or the OX locker for the Dana 30 upgrade, I would appreciate your feedback so I can make an informed (if expensive) decision.

I've finally decided that I need to cowboy up and go through my highly-unsatisfactorily "rigged" '83 CJ7 . I've narrowed my differentials down to two choices since I will still be using her as a part-time commuter. If anyone has had any experience with either the Eaton Elocker or the OX locker for the Dana 30 upgrade, I would appreciate your feedback so I can make an informed (if expensive) decision.

For a 30 front end?? Unless you're going hard <-BAD WORD-> off road, no way I would drop that kind of coin on a front locker like those. I'm a HUGE lunch box fan for a front end. Been sticking them into everything I own for years. They work, their tough, their cheap, and their an easy install. Other than that, I allways use the tried and true DETROIT LOCKER! If Jesus was a wheeler, he would use them too.

I found this little writeup pretty interesting.
Head-To-Head Lunchboxes Drop In Locker Shootout - Jp Magazine

from what I have read the Eaton does not actually lock, it puts pressure on the clutches in the Limited slip. As the clutches wear the effectiveness of "Lock" decreases. They are still kind of new on the market so experienced information is a bit slim.
I have no opinion or information on the OX.
I am considering a differential upgrade myself and have about talked myself into the ARB airlock. Its just a ways down on the list.:chug:

For a 30 front end?? Unless you're going hard <-BAD WORD-> off road, no way I would drop that kind of coin on a front locker like those. I'm a HUGE lunch box fan for a front end. Been sticking them into everything I own for years. They work, their tough, their cheap, and their an easy install. Other than that, I allways use the tried and true DETROIT LOCKER! If Jesus was a wheeler, he would use them too.

I found this little writeup pretty interesting.
Head-To-Head Lunchboxes Drop In Locker Shootout - Jp Magazine
I found it very interesting too, this is for sure something to think about.
Oh yea , if Jesus was a wheeler he would drive a 5!! lockers optional.:laugh:

LOL! That jp mag article is what really got me thinking about this stuff in the first place. Looks like I'm right back where I started. On the other hand, any good recommendations for a Transfer Case (other than an Atlas II)?

LOL! That jp mag article is what really got me thinking about this stuff in the first place. Looks like I'm right back where I started. On the other hand, any good recommendations for a Transfer Case (other than an Atlas II)?

AN ATLAS !!!:eek: WOW! Again, unless you're going nuts off road, there's no earthly need for an Atlas. The tried and true Dana 300 is a great Transfer Case right out of the box, and can be easily modified (if you really wanted to) for a FRACTION of what an Atlas will run you. That little CJ will surprise the hell out of you off road with very fiew low buck upgrades. Pop a couple locker units on both ends, a MILD lift, a bit bigger on tires, and that little rat will shock you.:cool: No need to go nuts unless you're really into heavy duty wheeling and breaking stuff.

AN ATLAS !!!:eek: WOW! Again, unless you're going nuts off road, there's no earthly need for an Atlas. The tried and true Dana 300 is a great Transfer Case right out of the box, and can be easily modified (if you really wanted to) for a FRACTION of what an Atlas will run you. That little CJ will surprise the hell out of you off road with very fiew low buck upgrades. Pop a couple locker units on both ends, a MILD lift, a bit bigger on tires, and that little rat will shock you.:cool: No need to go nuts unless you're really into heavy duty wheeling and breaking stuff.

Ok, so just to clarify: stick with a pair of detroits and possibly rebuild the stock Transfer Case , and I should be golden?

Ok, so just to clarify: stick with a pair of detroits and possibly rebuild the stock Transfer Case , and I should be golden?

Well...I see you have 4:56's on a Detroit as it is, so unless you just really want to drop a bunch of money I would seriously considder a lunch box. If it were mine (which It's not) I would drop a $250 lunch box in it, pop a twin stick on the stock Dana 300 and call it a day. I wouldn't mess with a rebuild on the 300 unless it's broken. Depending on what tranny you have, save the $$ for a possible upgrade on that in the future. That, combined with what you allready have, is a more than capabe trail rig.

Sounds like someone has a case of the magazine advice.
Remember before you go out and take the advice of magizines, they have to get you excited about this trend or that because they have to sell advertising and guys drooling over hi tech stuff buy whatever is spoon fed to them.
Now sit back and figure out what you need not what you have been told you need. So you want it to be transparent on the street, Any front locker is transparent on the street but a spool. Why, without power being put to it ,it does not lock unless it is a selectable. so you see any front locker that is not a selectable has great street manners. Unless you need bullet proof performance, get a good lunchbox for the front.
I run Detroits front and rear, but I also run Tcases I can switch into 2 low so I can turn, Wanna know something, Detroits rule.
And about an Atlas, if you are asking questions about that tcase you do not need it. It is a very nice case, but it is almost a trailer queen rig case, what I mean is if you do not do extreme sports, what is the use. I live in CA, have done the Con more times than most have read about it, in Dana 18s and NP 231s with a 2 low kit, running detroits behind both, never had a problem.
Trick is trick, but it cost a lot for something you may not need.
And about those ARBs, you never hear a detroit owner calling over the cb if someone has thos air fitting or that one, you hear the ARB guys doing it all the time

from what I have read the Eaton does not actually lock, it puts pressure on the clutches in the Limited slip. As the clutches wear the effectiveness of "Lock" decreases.

Thats the Auburn gear- Ected that has the clutches, The Eaton Elocker works like a regular locker (no clutches)
I dont know anyone that has one though.

I do have a buddy that has an OX in his front 44 and he loves it. His is a couple years old and cable operated, they are making electric ones now also. He is pretty hardcore, has broken a couple 44's but the OX keeps on go'n.
When I upgrade I plan on going OX.

Thanks a bunch for all the feedback. I guess it all really boils down to me not trusting the previous owner. The only things I do have faith in without having to tear apart are the custom bumpers that his welder father fabbed up for him and the warn 8000 sitting on the front. I'm anxious to tear into this thing and make it a beast, but I forget sometimes that I'm on a budget.

Okay I'll put in my .02. On my jeep I run Detroit Locker in the rear and the Auburn ECTED in the front, I love it, flip the switch your in, flip it your out. And yes I wheel it hard 34"LTB's on 4.88 gears. It has never not spun both front tires on the rocks, I do like the Limited slip feature when not engaged. Now for the OX, my other Jeep (not mine but I built it) same setup in the rear but an OX in the front, no problems with it either and my buddy loves it too. Basicaly came down to he had more money than I at the time. We have had these for 3.5 years and no trouble with either. I do reconmend one thing if anyone uses the ECTED, run a relay, so the locker itself get full 12volts at all times, the instructions state that is very important. just another opinion:D

Okay I'll put in my .02. On my jeep I run Detroit Locker in the rear and the Auburn ECTED in the front, I love it, flip the switch your in, flip it your out. And yes I wheel it hard 34"LTB's on 4.88 gears. It has never not spun both front tires on the rocks, I do like the Limited slip feature when not engaged. Now for the OX, my other Jeep (not mine but I built it) same setup in the rear but an OX in the front, no problems with it either and my buddy loves it too. Basicaly came down to he had more money than I at the time. We have had these for 3.5 years and no trouble with either. I do reconmend one thing if anyone uses the ECTED, run a relay, so the locker itself get full 12volts at all times, the instructions state that is very important. just another opinion:D
From someone who owns the carrier in question...

Thanks for the review! :)

So, does the ected use special friction oil?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom